• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Baseball

We will certainly be fun to watch. Seems like there will be a lot of high scoring games.

9-4 final. Record goes to 4-1. Game 2 tomorrow at 5 PM EST.

Baseball team picks up a nice 5-4 win at USC. Game was tied in the ninth and USC had 3 errors in the inning to allow Wake to score the winning run.

Great win for the Deacs! 2 out of 3 would be tremendous on the road against a ranked team. Good to see Wake win a grinder as opposed to a slugfest. Nice pen work from Craig and Sellers. Craig went 2 but he appears to ideally be the 8th inning man. Too early to tell.

I would imagine that if we win tomorrow to take the series we would get votes. If we then took 4 of 5 against relatively weak competition next weekend we would definitely be Top 25 sitting at 10-2.

Pretty bad call on that check swing. Don't think there was a chance he went around.

Damn good effort by Deacs. Gave up 6 hits but only got 4. That's a really good loss if there is such a thing.

Hate to waste such an outstanding start. Not sure about it being a good loss. Our offense was very pedestrian in this series. Very few opportunities today. Ben B. With a big K with runners on second and third. Big week for the Deacs. Lots of winnable games and more consecutive games than I remember in years past. Good opportunity for bats to wake up.

Hate to waste such an outstanding start. Not sure about it being a good loss. Our offense was very pedestrian in this series. Very few opportunities today. Ben B. With a big K with runners on second and third. Big week for the Deacs. Lots of winnable games and more consecutive games than I remember in years past. Good opportunity for bats to wake up.

It was an extremely suspect call on the check swing.

Baseball So Far:
Not seeing much different than last year. Probably 7-9 teams in ACC better than USC, IMO. Two wins out there with one being strong or a blowout would have made me more optimistic for the season.

Walter has been saying for 2 years how strong of a batting line-up we possess. Numbers just don't back it up. We average 5.26 runs last year in ACC games. This year, we've failed to really ring up an impressive run total even against non-P5 completion. I understand that baseball has more parity and it's a matter of who would win more in a series to determine the better team. But by comparison, look at some of the offensive output by fellow ACC teams so far: Clemson 19 vs Maine, FSU 19 & 23 vs Rhode Island, GT 13 vs W. Mich., NCSU 13 vs ODU 18 vs VMI (mutual opponent), ND 13 vs Incarnate Word, Pitt 19 vs Niagara, 16,14, & 18 vs Grambling, and UNC 14 vs #9 UCLA on their field (took series 2/3, as well).

After starting the first game with 2 HRs, freshman Aiello has been ineffective, batting only .167. This is not that surprising being a freshman. Breazeale (.174) and Fairchild (.150) are more concerning, especially compared to last season's avg. (Fairchild was well into the .300s IIRC).

Regarding pitching: We gave up a truckload of hits and runs vs USC. In their 9 run win, we gave up 16 hits and they left another 15 on base. Hit total for the series: WF 21, USC 33

Last year our inability to win mid-week games was telling. And look at how we finished our last 6 conference series games:

05/08/15 vs. NC State Winston-Salem, NC L, 19-1
05/09/15 vs. NC State Winston-Salem, N.C. L, 3-2
05/11/15 vs. NC State Winston-Salem, N.C. L, 9-6
05/14/15 at Duke Durham, N.C. W, 3-1
05/15/15 at Duke Durham, N.C. L, 7-0
05/16/15 at Duke Durham, N.C. L, 8-1

Gave up 19 to a mid-range ACC Pack team and lost 2 of 3 to a lower level ACC Duke team. One more Duke win would have put us in the ACC Tourney and we weren't close in the last 2 games.

So, in conclusion, right now I don't expect us to finish any better than 2015. I was hopeful after the VT and Clemson series last year, but the second half of the season was really a disaster.

Back