• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Baseball

Not going to get worked up about Wake baseball, no matter who we have playing, until they actually achieve something. We've been here soooo many times before.

So far so good on my prediction! Said we'd be 9-3 going to CC and Clemson. This week will set the bar for the season and tell us how improved the pitching is.

Deacs win 17-4.

Yep Buckwild, said we needed to be 10-2 or 9-3 through 12 games to be sitting well and we're there. Let's take care of business against Coastal on the road Tuesday/Wednesday and get at least one and then win the opening series against Clemson at home next weekend.

Loepprich has been impressive it seems.

My only concerns so far:
-Offense: Both Mondou and Fairchild are batting below .250, if Wake is going to do anything this year they both need to be producing like they were last year.

-Pitching: Need Johnstone to produce better than he has through his first three starts…14ER in 17innings isn't going to cut it.

Poor Johnny Aiello: hit 2 bombs in the season opener and then managed 3 hits in the next 10 games. Hope he can get it turned around...

Johnny reminds me of Kevin Jordan at the plate....gets behind early, swings late, and when he does make contact it is right to where the field is playing him.

Harvard loss is bad but mainly in what was pointed out above: Johnstone is a weekend starter. He will not be able to handle the ACC hitters unless something is corrected. Does anyone know Fossas' status?

Richmond was a very good win. Thought the game would be close and a good chance at a loss especially when I saw their BA: .366 as a team! They had multiple starters in the 300 and 400s. (One guy had a .600 but he had only 5 at bats and didn't get a hit vs. us....but I think we walked him with bases loaded and gave a run, IIRC). Our offensive output, while encouraging, was still not as overpowering as I would have liked nor as it appeared. Craig accounted for 6 runs himself and we didn't start ringing up runs until late and deep into their pitching when they had conceded. Our early relievers gave up 3 runs in the 7th. Still, a very good win.... but Coastal will probably be more of a sign of what ACC play will be like. 1 & 1 wouldn't be bad, but a sweep by them wouldn't be a good omen, IMO. If we win 2, I feel real good about our chances taking Clemson 2/3....

Last edited:
My only concerns so far:
-Offense: Both Mondou and Fairchild are batting below .250, if Wake is going to do anything this year they both need to be producing like they were last year.

-Pitching: Need Johnstone to produce better than he has through his first three starts…14ER in 17innings isn't going to cut it.

I think it's good that we are 9-3 with Mondou and Fairchild performing below par.

Will Craig is an absolute beast.

Johnny reminds me of Kevin Jordan at the plate....gets behind early, swings late, and we he does make contact it is right to where the field is playing him.

Harvard loss is bad but mainly in what was pointed out above: Johnstone is a weekend starter. He will not be able to handle the ACC hitters unless something is corrected. Does anyone know Fossas' status?

Richmond was a very good win. Thought the game would be close and a good chance at a loss especially when I saw their BA: .366 as a team! They had multiple starters in the 300 and 400s. (One guy had a .600 but he had only 5 at bats and didn't get a hit vs. us....but I think we walked him with bases loaded and gave a run, IIRC). Our offensive output, while encouraging, was still not as overpowering as I would have liked nor as it appeared. Craig accounted for 6 runs himself and we didn't start ringing up runs until late and deep into their pitching when they had conceded. Our early relievers gave up 3 runs in the 7th. Still, a very good win.... but Coastal will probably be more of a sign of what ACC play will be like. 1 & 1 wouldn't be bad, but a sweep by them wouldn't be a good omen, IMO. If we win 2, I feel real good about our chances taking Clemson 2/3....

They now lead the nation in BA by over .40 percentage points at .408.

Fossas should be back at the end of the month or early April (TJ surgery from last year).

Also I don't have false hope about anything 9-3 is on pace to be on the bubble if we keep it up. I have no idea if we will - ACC is stacked.

Coastal at 26th at 6-5 after last week and Clemson at 23rd at 8-2. They just took two of three from South Carolina to hand them their first two losses of the year.

This. Buckwild nailed it. For those who know more than I, is there any advantage to pitch Loeprrich on Sat. And Johnstone on Sunday?

You can tell pretty early that our pitching depth looks night and day from last year.

Deacs win 11-0. Really good win.

Are the numbers on the baseball jerseys the same style as those on the football unis? They look really good.

Back