• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Manning is a turrible second half coach

TWO MILLION A YEAR...OH MY DUCKING GOD

He should be at about $64,000 plus minimal benefits

Seriously this kind of shit is what we all value?

He had 1 good year.

Pfft he didn't even have a good year, they hit a run in the conference tournament in a horrible CUSA. Manning wasn't even on the board radar during the carousel, and for good reason.

In our last 13 games opponents have averaged 45 points in the 2nd half. Four teams have scored 50 points or more. Two others have scored 48 and 49. Mind boggling.

Last edited:
Frank Haith coached for 10 full seasons in the ACC, Big 12, and SEC. He never once had a top 50 defense. Last two seasons at Tulsa they have been #19, and #38 on the defensive end.

It's pretty clear to me that Manning got hired on the back of one good defensive season at Tulsa (remember they were awful at offense his whole time at Tulsa). But it looks they just stumbled into some good defensive personnel, most of which Manning had no hand in bringing in or recruiting.

Frank Haith coached for 10 full seasons in the ACC, Big 12, and SEC. He never once had a top 50 defense. Last two seasons at Tulsa they have been #19, and #38 on the defensive end.

It's pretty clear to me that Manning got hired on the back of one good defensive season at Tulsa (remember they were awful at offense his whole time at Tulsa). But it looks they just stumbled into some good defensive personnel, most of which Manning had no hand in bringing in or recruiting.

He was hired on a Hail Mary which was sadly embraced by a lot of the fanbase. Mind boggling, this same track record was evident then. What is apparent now is that he isn't going to get a bunch of 4* players to buy into a name people expected them to recognize lol.

yeah like a bunch of 16 year olds give a shit what type of player he was, especially when they watch him coach a team that quit on him weeks ago.

In our last 13 games opponents have averaged 45 points in the 2nd half. Four teams have scored 50 points or more. Two others have scored 48 and 49. Mind boggling.

Holy cow = that is unbelievably bad! And the second half is when the coaching adjustments come into play. In scheme, personnel, and the ability to ramp up effort.

He was hired on a Hail Mary which was sadly embraced by a lot of the fanbase. Mind boggling, this same track record was evident then. What is apparent now is that he isn't going to get a bunch of 4* players to buy into a name people expected them to recognize lol.

yeah like a bunch of 16 year olds give a shit what type of player he was, especially when they watch him coach a team that quit on him weeks ago.

We had to embrace it. Unless you go with the narrative that he was our first choice. It seems clear we struck out on a few other options. After the Bzzaster I would have embraced a corpse on the sidelines.

This is why you don't hand over a broken program to a young, unproven coach.

Wellman has made two inexplicably awful hires in a row. Fuck that guy.

Pfft he didn't even have a good year, they hit a run in the conference tournament in a horrible CUSA. Manning wasn't even on the board radar during the carousel, and for good reason.

This is what I said at the time he was hired. His Tulsa team got hot after a bad start and won a conference that had lost its best programs that year to realignment. He had a conference title, but it would be like winning the old ACC tournament that didn't feature UNC, Duke, or State.

I do think the jury is still out a bit on Manning, but I'm losing what little faith I had. There are just too many consistently bad elements to this team that clearly aren't being remedied with coaching. I thought he would get 4 years for sure, but if this season keeps going the way it has and next season shows little progress, I think Wellman "retires" and Manning gets canned by the new AD.

It is aggravating because I remember getting flamed pretty hard for disliking the Manning hire. The negatives were pretty obvious. I hope things improve but there is little reason to think they will. All this losing will hurt recruiting, and the results of mediocre recruiting classes and a weak coach are easy to predict.

It is aggravating because I remember getting flamed pretty hard for disliking the Manning hire. The negatives were pretty obvious. I hope things improve but there is little reason to think they will. All this losing will hurt recruiting, and the results of mediocre recruiting classes and a weak coach are easy to predict.

After what we had been through with Buzz, people were grasping at any straws possible for some optimism.

Holy cow = that is unbelievably bad! And the second half is when the coaching adjustments come into play. In scheme, personnel, and the ability to ramp up effort.

My thoughts exactly. If the games ended at half-time, we'd be headed to The Dance. Wonder what was the biggest second half deficit we've had this year where we came back to within 3 points?

Yep. His name and rep may be enough to get a foot in the door with a recruit but he can't seem to close very often. As a coach and recruiter, he needs to influence behavior but I haven't seen many signals that he is strong at that. His primary tools of influence seem to be playing time and tough love.

Manning is a step down from the buzz Era

Manning has shown signs of being able to recruit, but hasn't proven anything in terms of "X's and O's"...Bzzzz seemed to have decent game plans drawn up, and actually made some halftime adjustments, but couldn't relate to players or recruit. This is similar to our rotational issues this season. We give up offense for defense and vise versa. This is just the story of Wake Forest basketball from the past 7 years.

Before I get negged to death for saying Jeffy B drew up a nice game plan here and there, think back to us beating UNC, Duke and State at home. That's something that I doubt Manning will accomplish by year 4. Right now Danny is in year 2 and is 10-11. [Redacted] finished year 2 13-18 with an awful, awful roster... Let's see how the final few games pan out. They seem to be on a similar trajectory IMO.

Get real people. If Bzz had a team play a schedule this tough he'd have 4/5 wins tops.

Manning had a tiny record of success. There was reason for a little hope. Bz had a long track record of dismal failure. There was no hope.

Back