• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Manning is a turrible second half coach

lol- come on. Manning has shown the ability to draw up a game plan, too. Adjusting to the opponent's halftime adjustments seems to be a really big issue, though. And having watched far too many games in both era, I think Manning is the taller dwarf.

I lumped game plan and halftime adjustments together, but I acknowledge they're separate categories. In terms of halftime adjustments, I haven't been alive for a worse coach.

Still think it's crazy how if that bank shot doesn't drop and VATech doesn't shoot 90% from the line how different things would seem. But they wouldn't be different at all.

Yep. 3 ACC wins and we'd still be looking at a chance to make the NIT. We'd also have a road ACC win and a top 15 ACC home win under our belt. As it stands, the sky is falling.

Ifs...if we had a better more talented team, we wouldn't be in almost last place.

3-7 in the ACC wouldn't be really that great either.

3-7 in the ACC wouldn't be really that great either.

Sure, but considering our schedule it would have been more aligned with reasonable expectations. We'd only have 2 losses to unranked ACC teams and 8-10 would actually seem possible.

With 5 wins last year, this year 8 with an NIT appearance would have looked like good progress. Instead we're looking at a meltdown, potentially 2-3 win ACC season and obvious giant step backward. Does a team that had just beaten UVA at home quit against Clemson?

Who knows. Just amazing how a season can turn south. In the end, you are what your record says you are.

Manning was brought on to recruit a guy like Harry Giles. Giles never would've committed to Bz, but with Manning he had somebody at his hometown school with whom he was much more likely to connect. The stars had aligned. I'm sure Manning did all he could, but his sales pitch wasn't enough, and Manning's career at Wake got 73% harder at that moment. We will have to see if he has what it takes from here. It's not just that Giles would've been a big win, but losing him was an extra big loss, bigger than losing any other recruit in all of Manning's future tenure I would guess. Giles is the once-in-a-lifetime One That Got Away.

Early in his tenure Wellman had a hiring formula that worked well. Grobe was experienced and had proven that he could build a successful program at the mid-major level. Skip was experienced and had proven that he could build a successful program at the (then) mid-major level. Clawson follows that same blueprint. While there is no guarantee that he will win here the vast majority of the signs point in the right direction. Wellman abandoned that formula when he hired Dino (but had little choice under the circumstances), Bzz, and now Manning. In each case it has not worked out. Why in the world you give up on something that was working for you is beyond me.

^ maybe no experienced coach who had proven he could build a successful program at a mid-major level wanted to join the dumpster fire that was WF basketball?

Still think it's crazy how if that bank shot doesn't drop and VATech doesn't shoot 90% from the line how different things would seem. But they wouldn't be different at all.

You could argue this the other way as well, considering we beat Indiana by 4, UCLA by 3, and Rutgers by 1.

Maybe we were a shit team all along and lucked into three wins that look impressive on paper.

Early in his tenure Wellman had a hiring formula that worked well. Grobe was experienced and had proven that he could build a successful program at the mid-major level. Skip was experienced and had proven that he could build a successful program at the (then) mid-major level. Clawson follows that same blueprint. While there is no guarantee that he will win here the vast majority of the signs point in the right direction. Wellman abandoned that formula when he hired Dino (but had little choice under the circumstances), Bzz, and now Manning. In each case it has not worked out. Why in the world you give up on something that was working for you is beyond me.

Wellman's hiring formula was to go up to Ohio and find the best coach he could get. That's it.

You could argue this the other way as well, considering we beat Indiana by 4, UCLA by 3, and Rutgers by 1.

Maybe we were a shit team all along and lucked into three wins that look impressive on paper.

"Some" might say we were very "lucky" in those games ;)

Rutgers is an absolutely terrible team. #277 kenpom. Even on the road, only beating them by 1 is SAD

Can't argue with that. The banked in 3 is still an outlier though. That was just sick.

^ maybe no experienced coach who had proven he could build a successful program at a mid-major level wanted to join the dumpster fire that was WF basketball?

Then that's on Wellman as well.

Reinforced by Richmond and UNCG games.

Reinforced by Richmond and UNCG games.

Exactly, there's a reason that a rating like Kenpom doesn't think much of our season despite currently having the #2 SOS (#68 OOC) and some quality OOC wins.

Can't argue with that. The banked in 3 is still an outlier though. That was just sick.

Don't you think that calling it an errant banked three ignores the fact that we were up 7 with less than a minute and we still lost the game? It is not like we were in a tight battle trading leads all game and took the upper hand with 4 seconds left, only to lose it on a baked three at the buzzer...We were beating them up until about the final 40 seconds. I guess it is a matter of emphasis.

Back