• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Manning is a turrible second half coach

^ maybe no experienced coach who had proven he could build a successful program at a mid-major level wanted to join the dumpster fire that was WF basketball?

then don't fire a coach and then run a smear campaign against him within days

FSU hung 54 on us in the 2nd half today.

56 by CLEMSON and 54 by FSU in second half. Can we just forfeit the rest of our games?

So I'm guessing we didn't win today. Didn't remember we had a game.

We finished last season 1-6 (that makes us 2-17 in our last 19 ACC games), and I thought it would be a warning sign if Manning's team did that again. Now, I'm hoping we can manage that one win.

Early in his tenure Wellman had a hiring formula that worked well. Grobe was experienced and had proven that he could build a successful program at the mid-major level. Skip was experienced and had proven that he could build a successful program at the (then) mid-major level. Clawson follows that same blueprint. While there is no guarantee that he will win here the vast majority of the signs point in the right direction. Wellman abandoned that formula when he hired Dino (but had little choice under the circumstances), Bzz, and now Manning. In each case it has not worked out. Why in the world you give up on something that was working for you is beyond me.

I'm convinced Wellman hired Bzz for one simple reason. He knew he had to make a splash name hire to save his ass and improve his standing in the short-term. When Shaka Smart didn't happen the only place he had to turn for an easy splash name hire was Danny Manning. Wellman didn't give a shit about what was best for Wake. He just wanted a name that would improve his immediate standing and buy him some good will from folks. He could have hired several mid-major coaches with much more impressive resumes than Manning, but they wouldn't have given him that instant splash with the the big $$$ folks.

I'm still Manning Wait-and-See (plus I don't want Wellman making another hire). However, no matter what level of success Danny has or doesn't have at Wake, I will always be convinced that Wellman didn't hire him Manning because Manning was the best coach available for Wake that would come. He hired Manning because of his desire to restore (however temporarily) his image.

Manning was brought on to recruit a guy like Harry Giles. Giles never would've committed to Bz, but with Manning he had somebody at his hometown school with whom he was much more likely to connect. The stars had aligned. I'm sure Manning did all he could, but his sales pitch wasn't enough, and Manning's career at Wake got 73% harder at that moment. We will have to see if he has what it takes from here. It's not just that Giles would've been a big win, but losing him was an extra big loss, bigger than losing any other recruit in all of Manning's future tenure I would guess. Giles is the once-in-a-lifetime One That Got Away.

This is what happens when you sell your soul to an early-out strategy.....particularly at WF, who is almost always going to lose out to the really big college basketball whores for these kinds of players. And even in the unlikely event that they could occasionally land one, it is not a sustainable strategy at a small school like WF. Trying to make fans have hope that such a strategy could succeed is a cruel hoax.

2002, it's a huge assumption that we could have gotten a mid major coach with a better resume than Manning. I think those guys told us no.

Back