• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Clemson Post Game Thoughts

Just feels like other teams in the nation are learning and getting better as the season progresses. We're going backwards. Maybe it's poor coaching. Maybe the team is having trouble adjusting to CMM. Hard not to be really frustrated

Somewhere Dino can't get the smile off of his face...

yeah if dino were still here he'd be battle hardened by now and we'd be better for it and saved an assload of $

How can anyone bash Thomas? Outside of his immature behavior on foul calls he's the only reliable guy we have.

Well if you actually watch the game closely and watch how Thomas plays the game you will see that he plays no defense. Pretty simple really. He can score with ease dropping down and going to his left. He has no moves to his right except to shoot with his right hand off the wrong foot. Thomas will try to get a rebound too many times and dribble his own fast break. He has never worked on his free throws and is making less that 60% and still looks uncomfortable at the line, even though he draws many fouls and gets numerous chances. On defense he never stands his ground and takes a charge and in four years has yet to learn how to block out properly to get a rebound. He gets a lot of rebounds some games because we have nobody else going for them and he goes aggressively for rebounds. But he has no basketball technique in going for them and if he had any at all he would have been all-ACC last year and easily this year. Last year he went from averaging double-doubles in mid-January to getting no votes for all-ACC. That is almost as impossible as it was for us to lose to Virginia last week.

Well if you actually watch the game closely and watch how Thomas plays the game you will see that he plays no defense. Pretty simple really. He can score with ease dropping down and going to his left. He has no moves to his right except to shoot with his right hand off the wrong foot. Thomas will try to get a rebound too many times and dribble his own fast break. He has never worked on his free throws and is making less that 60% and still looks uncomfortable at the line, even though he draws many fouls and gets numerous chances. On defense he never stands his ground and takes a charge and in four years has yet to learn how to block out properly to get a rebound. He gets a lot of rebounds some games because we have nobody else going for them and he goes aggressively for rebounds. But he has no basketball technique in going for them and if he had any at all he would have been all-ACC last year and easily this year. Last year he went from averaging double-doubles in mid-January to getting no votes for all-ACC. That is almost as impossible as it was for us to lose to Virginia last week.

Great analysis. Well done.

I suspect we will be in panic mode after we see who transfer this year - and anyone thinking MW's role will be minimized is likely delusional. He is Danny's guy having left Tulsa to follow him to WF. Dude is going to play regardless of how he plays or who we bring in.

I suspect we will be in panic mode after we see who transfer this year - and anyone thinking MW's role will be minimized is likely delusional. He is Danny's guy having left Tulsa to follow him to WF. Dude is going to play regardless of how he plays or who we bring in.

Do you have some inside information as to who will transfer?

Manning did say when he first got the job that he knows ultimately he will be judged on wins and losses. If he thinks playing MW will get him wins then it's time to find the next guy.

We are certainly awful right now but the VaTech dick sucking is just ridiculous. They beat NC State, so did we. They've lost their last 5 straight all to teams we also lost to. They beat GaTech who we haven't played. They beat us by 2 points on absurd free throw shooting at home. They beat UVA who needed a miracle banked in 3 pointer to beat us at the last second. They have no other ranked wins, we beat LSU, Indiana, and UCLA. Their next best win is probably UAB. They could very well lose to Clemson, UVA, Miami, and FSU to wrap a 9 game ACC losing streak.

Both of these teams suck hairy balls right now, and I don't know that we have anyone as talented as either LeDay or Allen. Certainly not two upperclassmen.

You know we've reached a new level of pathetic when posters are propping up the 11th best team in the ACC to slam our program.

Nothing to worry about with all of these losses mounting up. We are just tanking so we get more ping pong balls. #process

Quite honestly as long as the 3 freshman stay there isn't another player that should create any panic if he chooses to find greener pastures. Reality is we have ZERO scholarships for the '17 class so someone needs to "get a steppin'".

No one good is transferring IMO. Collins and Moore are primed for huge roles next year, Crawford is already the leader of the team. I think it is very possible Dinos could go to Greece if he is offered good money, but that is the one really key player out of everyone that could move on. I don't see Hudson or Wilbekin moving on either. Rondale or McClinton are really the two obvious choices, but I think Rondale has found his spot. Don't know what to think about McClinton. My guess is that he sticks and then is a grad transfer for his last year somewhere else.

We are certainly awful right now but the VaTech dick sucking is just ridiculous. They beat NC State, so did we. They've lost their last 5 straight all to teams we also lost to. They beat GaTech who we haven't played. They beat us by 2 points on absurd free throw shooting at home. They beat UVA who needed a miracle banked in 3 pointer to beat us at the last second. They have no other ranked wins, we beat LSU, Indiana, and UCLA. Their next best win is probably UAB. They could very well lose to Clemson, UVA, Miami, and FSU to wrap a 9 game ACC losing streak.

Both of these teams suck hairy balls right now, and I don't know that we have anyone as talented as either LeDay or Allen. Certainly not two upperclassmen.

You know we've reached a new level of pathetic when posters are propping up the 11th best team in the ACC to slam our program.

It can also be considered pathetic when posters relentlessly prop up coaches and programs that are obviously failing.

It can also be considered pathetic when posters relentlessly prop up coaches and programs that are obviously failing.

Yeah that would be pathetic. Nobody's really doing that though. The simpleminded love a scapegoat regardless of the situation or the facts involved.

I don't think it's unreasonable to say that at this point Williams seems to be getting more out of his team than Manning is though. I certainly don't think Va. Tech is anything beyond just marginally more talented than us.

Manning isn't better than Buzz Williams right now. The argument would have to be whether you think Manning will be better soon, or if Manning has a higher ceiling.

I don't think it even matters if Manning is ever "better" than Williams. He just has to get better players to come to his school.

I don't think it's unreasonable to say that at this point Williams seems to be getting more out of his team than Manning is though. I certainly don't think Va. Tech is anything beyond just marginally more talented than us.

Up until we played VT, we were clearly the better club AND had played a much harder OOC sked. My basic point was Williams vs. Manning modes operande'. Clearly Williams has his team focused on playing with passion and hustle and their fans can see it vis a vis better days fast approaching. Nobody wants to play VT right now. I doubt anyone fears playing Wake at present unless there's a fading belief that we're gonna suddenly expload out of this mess back to the team we were 5 weeks ago.

Manning can't even get his team to play hard (go re-watch the first 5 minutes of the 2nd half against Clemson) and he lets stuff like fast break behind the back passes off noggins go without comment. Even the crazy distribution of minutes comes after those two things in the prioritized list of things that he needs to improve greatly.

I still have blind faith in Manning, but a serious red flag for me was the last 6 or so minutes of the Richmond game. That was completely inexcusable in the way we lost that game. At the time people said that he was trying to send a message. i'm still trying to figure out what that message is considering his questionable in-game tactics are seemingly the same since that moment.

Back