• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF ACC FT Shooting

How do you reconcile this with the fact that free throw shooting is at an all time best and nba players shoot jump shots better than ever?

I only said that there is no excuse for a D1 player to shoot less than 70% on free throws...or very close to that, anyway. You are just making my point for me....that it can be done, because many players are doing it. If those guys can do it, the rest of the players should be able to do it, too.

Everyone shoots free throws with the same situation....15 feet from the basket with nobody guarding them.

The post you responded to was a response to Deac83's post that some players didn't work on free throws because they were playing only for money and not any love for the game and that the NBA didn't care about free throw shooting.....which DeacDownUnder quickly refuted with a NYT article.

And BTW, any player who has the kind of attitude that Deac83 described sucks, in my opinion, and is a detriment to the game. I don't care if he is making $50 million/year.

Last edited:
It's stayed the same or gotten better over time. It's only gotten worse for people who have a preconceived notion of problems with college and NBA basketball.

Has putting improved (outside of improvements related to technology) over the past 50 years? How about marksmanship?

If free throws are the exact same for every player then you could say that any player over 6' tall should be able to dunk. If they can't then they simply need to work on their athleticism.

Guys with big hands have trouble shooting free throws. Inside players who spent their formative years shooting short hooks and working on post moves are at a disadvantage to outside shooters at free throws. Shorter players have more natural arc. It's not a coincidence that there's not a single power forward or center in the top 10 in free throw shooting in history. It's a skill - one that requires a combination of talent, practice, and physical makeup to excel at. Nothing has happened "recently" to change that. Free throw shooting hasn't gone through some huge decline.

Kind of ironic from a Wake board considering our most famous player has fought a long free throw battle throughout his career, with 11 years combined college/pros of sub 70% shooting. One year he didn't even shoot 60%. Sure as hell wasn't from a lack of practice or effort.

If free throws are the exact same for every player then you could say that any player over 6' tall should be able to dunk. If they can't then they simply need to work on their athleticism.

Guys with big hands have trouble shooting free throws. Inside players who spent their formative years shooting short hooks and working on post moves are at a disadvantage to outside shooters at free throws. Shorter players have more natural arc. It's not a coincidence that there's not a single power forward or center in the top 10 in free throw shooting in history. It's a skill - one that requires a combination of talent, practice, and physical makeup to excel at. Nothing has happened "recently" to change that. Free throw shooting hasn't gone through some huge decline.

Kind of ironic from a Wake board considering our most famous player has fought a long free throw battle throughout his career, with 11 years combined college/pros of sub 70% shooting. One year he didn't even shoot 60%. Sure as hell wasn't from a lack of practice or effort.

That's bullshit. It's because he didn't want it enough.

Sorry, DeacsFan27, but it definitely appears as though you've tried to make this a racial issue. Whatever the case, free throw shooting can CAN be taught. Our staff simply isn't doing a very good job in this regard. http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/15/sports/basketball/15boren.html?_r=0

I never said that people cannot improve their free throw shooting, nor that it cannot be taught. It's just harder than practicing for an hour a week to improve by leaps and bounds.

You basically proved my point by showing that an NBA team used a free throw coach to improve their free throw shooting through: thousands of free throws, cameras, 41 different things to be looked for, and breaking through mental barriers. Sorry if I don't think all players can get through all of these while balancing a top 30 education and the other requirements of being a collegiate athlete.

The problem is that people think that because there is nobody guarding you and that it's the same motion (in theory) every time it can be learned by everybody, and that is simply not the case. Shooting free throws is a skill, and people don't ever want to acknowledge that.

Hard to believe that DM could not get Chill to teach FT shooting.

Chill always enjoyed "punishing" the other team at end of games from the charity stripe.

Being good at something and teaching somebody else how to do it are completely different things.

I never said that people cannot improve their free throw shooting, nor that it cannot be taught. It's just harder than practicing for an hour a week to improve by leaps and bounds.

You basically proved my point by showing that an NBA team used a free throw coach to improve their free throw shooting through: thousands of free throws, cameras, 41 different things to be looked for, and breaking through mental barriers. Sorry if I don't think all players can get through all of these while balancing a top 30 education and the other requirements of being a collegiate athlete.

The problem is that people think that because there is nobody guarding you and that it's the same motion (in theory) every time it can be learned by everybody, and that is simply not the case. Shooting free throws is a skill, and people don't ever want to acknowledge that.

Reminds me of that guy who thought that since the golf ball doesn't move and a golf swing is learned and repeatable - that simple repetition and decent coaching means you should be a pro given enough hours of practice - something like 10,000 hours. Almost a decade after coming up with the idea dude still can't sniff qualifying for a local state am event, let alone dream of making $1 professionally.

Surprised to see no mention in this thread of the irony that Wake actually holds the record of 50 consecutive team free throws. Of course, even that "positive" is confounded by the fact that one of our best free throw shooters ever missed attempt #51 -- and it cost us a game. As explained on Kenpom:

"Wake Forest missed but one free throw in 53 attempts over the past two games against North Carolina and Florida State. Yet that miss cost them a win. Taron Downey clanked one with 4 seconds left in regulation that would have broken a 76-76 tie against FSU. The miss ended an NCAA record streak of 50 consecutive free throws made by Wake Forest."

FT's were never really a problem under Skip.

Now defense is another story entirely....

Probably because everybody on the board knows it and it's a painful memory.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/14719848/adam-silver-says-changes-needed-hack-player-rule

In October, Silver put the onus on players being fouled to get better at fundamentals, saying "a guy's got to be able to make his free throws." Now, however, as coaches have increasingly employed the strategy this season, Silver has heard enough public outcry to take a side.

Silver doesn't like players jumping on each other piggyback style to attract attention of ref to call a foul, citing player safety. LeBron says hack-a-player is just another strategy.

Surprised to see no mention in this thread of the irony that Wake actually holds the record of 50 consecutive team free throws. Of course, even that "positive" is confounded by the fact that one of our best free throw shooters ever missed attempt #51 -- and it cost us a game. As explained on Kenpom:

"Wake Forest missed but one free throw in 53 attempts over the past two games against North Carolina and Florida State. Yet that miss cost them a win. Taron Downey clanked one with 4 seconds left in regulation that would have broken a 76-76 tie against FSU. The miss ended an NCAA record streak of 50 consecutive free throws made by Wake Forest."

No mention of the throat slash?

If the players have improved over the last fifty years, and I believe that they have, then why hasn't freethrow shooting improved?

Because they don't practice that part of the game like we all used to. They would rather be out here dunking, dribbling behind their backs and cupping the ball illegally on their dribble/drives and hoisting up 3's rather than the mundane but hugely important free throws.

Because they don't practice that part of the game like we all used to. They would rather be out here dunking, dribbling behind their backs and cupping the ball illegally on their dribble/drives and hoisting up 3's rather than the mundane but hugely important free throws.

Basketball ain't a game, man, it's SHOWTIME! Get with the program! SportsCenter wants Thunder Dunks. They don't need no stinkin' free throws!

Back