• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF ACC FT Shooting

Pilchard

Reaction score
We all know that WF has suffered from dreadful FT shooting recently, but I stumbled across the following inexplicable stat:

WF top 6 players in free throw attempts are all shooting FTs worse in ACC games than OOC games. Given that the line is the same distance in all games and there is no defense for FTs, the FT disparity is just inexplicable. WF went from a mediocre FT shooting team in OOC games (70%) to a god-awful FT shooting team in conference games (60%). Clearly, the team is pressing. The disparity for "good" shooters like Dinos and Crawford is particularly inexplicable and frustrating.

Here are the stats:

DT - OOC games 59%; ACC 56%
BC - OOC games 75%; ACC 59%
Mitoglou - OOC games 86%%; ACC 57%
Collins - OOC games 75%; ACC 74%
Crab - OOC games 74%; ACC 55%
CMM - OOC 67%; ACC 56%

As a team: OOC 70%; ACC 60%

One other amazing FT shooting stat. WF's opponents are hitting 74.6% of their FTs which means that WF ranks 343 out of 351 D-1 team's in FT% defense. OK, one more stat: in conference play, WF's ACC opponents are shooting 79% from the line (which is incredibly good). So, in a game where each team gets 20 FTs, WF loses on average 4 points a game to its conference foes on the line (not even taking into account front ends of 1 and 1s, which WF seems to miss with even more regularity).

Last edited:
That is a reflection of the mental aspect of basketball. When they were winning, they brought confidence to the free throw line. You lose that mental edge at the line & it becomes a much more difficult task. Dinos' drop is comical though. That is replacing JJ Redick w/ Devin Thomas.

My high school coach said the key to shooting FT's was confidence and concentration. We lack confidence.

Sort of like the fact that most golfers putt better when they aren't worried about the score.

Teams get comfortable shooting against Wake because they have so many open looks and easy layouts. That builds confidence and carries over to the FT line. How many games have we heard a particular shooter missed all of their shots in the previous game, but lights us up. I know it happened with Cooney from Syracuse and one of the Clemson guards.

A lot of times you can read the FT shooter's face and tell if he will make or miss.

A lot of times you can read the FT shooter's face and tell if he will make or miss.

This. During last night's game when the camera panned to Devin on the line, my husband commented that he is thinking about it too hard (judging by the grimace on Devin's face).

Similar to the mental explanation, could fatigue be a factor? Are Wake players less conditioned or the opposite where they have practiced too hard and haven't had sufficient recovery time? I remember this phenomenon emerged over the course of seasons with Skip. And, shooting percentages of all kinds go down when you are winded.

I also feel like Dinos has a hot hand at the beginning of halves, then cools off after trying to catch up to whoever he is guarding.

Lack of conditioning would express itself in body language - bent over tugging on shorts, hands over head.

I think there is something to that. I make more ten footers for par than I make ten footers for birdie.

I make far more back handed tap ins for bogey myself.

But that said, in all the years I have been on the court with foul shooters, you can tell more times than not when a guy wants the ball at the line in the closing key moments of a game as you are bouncing it to them. [or is scared & will have absolutely no chance in hell of making it] They just have that confidant stride going to the line. And time after time they are the ones going to get the ball on throw ins, wanting to get fouled. [remember Chill, Skip, CP3, Frank, Jeff T, Rod, Shelly & Taron]

Since X I believe Dinos' FT's have been in the tank. If you look at the numbers he was getting 4-6 FT's a game now he's more like 2 a game. In non-conf he was banging inside, rebounding and getting put backs. Now it appears he's primarily expected to shoot 3's from the corner but unless the defense completely collapses on DT or a CMM/BC drive we have no play designed to get him open shots from the corner.

@LSU he went 2-4 then at 'ville he had a an 0-1 which was the front end of a one and one, at 2:06 with us trailing 58-56 and a chance to tie the game. From there a well played game by Wake spiraled out of control. Instead of being tied (by our 90% FT guy) we then started jacking up 3pters - CMM 3, Rondale 3, DT 1-2 FT, BC fouled on a 3pt but 0-3 from the line, Crab 3, BC missed 3 (meaningless at this point).

I think he's had one or two games since then over 50% the line.

Of course I like to contrast that with VT when their 50%+ guy hits two, it's just our destiny to have a, at the time, a 90% guy miss the FT's.

I was looking at the opponent FT% stats the other day. How can you explain this:

North Dakota was almost the worst in this category last year ~325th in the country (72.5%).

This year North Dakota is #1 at 59.3%. You would think that maybe they implemented some home-court crowd gimmick, but their home FT defense is 68.4% and the away FT defense is 55%.

I think voodoo doll is the only answer.

I was looking at the opponent FT% stats the other day. How can you explain this:

North Dakota was almost the worst in this category last year ~325th in the country (72.5%).

This year North Dakota is #1 at 59.3%. You would think that maybe they implemented some home-court crowd gimmick, but their home FT defense is 68.4% and the away FT defense is 55%.

I think voodoo doll is the only answer.

You don't explain it. Opponent free throw shooting has almost absolutely nothing to do with your team.

Not to mention our FT defense is pretty poor this year as well :tard:

There is no excuse for a person who has been given a D1 scholarship making less than 70% of his free throws. None. Zilch. End of discussion.

Back