• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Defensive Woes

tbpnwe

Reaction score
Without this turning into a complaint session, could those of you with ample basketball experience explain our defensive woes?

We can't stop penetration.

Is that our athletes, system, or a combo of both.

Lazy and not having the athletes to play effective D in the acc.

There are a lot of ways to play defense. A good coach would have found one that did not embarrass the team after 2 years.

There is no workable defensive scheme for players that refuse to move their feet and work hard.

There is no workable defensive scheme for players that refuse to move their feet and work hard.

Why is a coach unable to motivate his players to move their feet and work hard? There are a lot of ways to motivate people. These guys want to be successful so how hard can it be to motivate them to do what they came to Wake to do? One of the problems with an inexperienced hire is that there is so much he may not know how to do. Like figure out how to motivate different types of players.

Feel bad for DT. If I was him I would have lost it a long time ago.

"Now for some reason, we’re playing selfish and we don’t play defense, even more than we didn’t play defense before."

That's some truth right there.

"Now for some reason, we’re playing selfish and we don’t play defense, even more than we didn’t play defense before."

That's some truth right there.

So which players are getting called out here but not named? Where does the blame rest?

Why is a coach unable to motivate his players to move their feet and work hard? There are a lot of ways to motivate people. These guys want to be successful so how hard can it be to motivate them to do what they came to Wake to do? One of the problems with an inexperienced hire is that there is so much he may not know how to do. Like figure out how to motivate different types of players.

Unfortunately moving the feet and playing good D requires more than motivation. It requires athletes. FSU has athletes all over the court. We, unfortunately, do not.

I miss Aaron Rountree he did a great job last year.
lolololol, he was probably the 2nd worst perimeter defender on the team last year (behind Wilbekin). Negative lateral quickness.

Unfortunately moving the feet and playing good D requires more than motivation. It requires athletes. FSU has athletes all over the court. We, unfortunately, do not.

Disagree that we have no athletes. We have better athletes than should account for this defense. Is UVA just stacked with incredible athletes or are they well coached?

I am starting to think that the players just don't care, besides DT. They don't show any fight at all.

Disagree that we have no athletes. We have better athletes than should account for this defense. Is UVA just stacked with incredible athletes or are they well coached?

I didn't say we had no athletes. But we have fewer than FSU and a lot of the other teams we play. You make it seem like a coach can fix athletic deficiencies. Strategy can help but ultimately you need the horses.

UVA is very well coached. But don't undersell their players. Their recruiting rankings blow ours out of the water.

Last edited:
Rountree

Rountree is playing 25 minutes a game for a team ranked ahead of the Deacs by Kenpom. Leading them in steals and blocks, and second in assists, too.

I think Aaron's ability to rotate and play help defense is far superior to anyone that we have on the team right now, with the possible exception of Devin. That comes with experience, that I hope our young guys are getting now (starting to figure out anyway).

I really am hoping that Manning is getting really close to scrapping his man-to-man defense (except for 5 minutes or so per game) because we just don't have the personnel to do what he wants to do. He needs to be on the phone with Bill Self, Dave Odom, Dino, his old Suns and Clippers coaches and start looking for alternatives (or lessons on how to play better zone defense).

Switching on every ball screen has been a complete and utter failure. Time to cut our losses.

Back