• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Grobe on Bill King's 24/7 College Sports

Buttermaker

Reaction score
Im surprised no one has posted this yet, that I see. A caller from Goldsboro asked King (who is in Tennessee and an admitted SEC homer) about Russell Wilson and referred to O'Brien as the best coach in the ACC. Unclear if he was joking. King then got into a discussion of the best coach in the ACC after Beamer. Fischer came up. Then King mentioned Grobe and said he could do great things at another school where he could regularly land talent to compete with the top teams in the league. He said Grobe will never consistently land top talent at Wake. FWIW.

Last edited:
I believe that is accurate. However elements of our fan base stubbornly refuse to accept that reality. We have one of the best coaches in the land and he has been willing to remain in a place where he knows he will always be working against substantial odds. We should be thankful, while still wanting to win championships. Some seem to be of the mind that Grobe has a talent pool that is not substantially different to Florida State or Virginia Tech or even NCState. Simply is not true and is not likely to be true ever.

Nonetheless, I fully expect that we will return to a more competitive status because Grobe knows how to develop players. We need, however, to return to the place of being able to redshirt virtually our entire freshmen classes.

We have one of the best coaches in the land and he has been willing to remain in a place where he knows he will always be working against substantial odds.

I love Grobe as much as anyone, but if the right opportunity came along he would be gone. I know for a fact that he interviewed at Nebraska and Tennessee (the most recent search resulting in Dooley getting hired, not the Kiffin search).

Grobe pulled out of the NU search because of the AD issues. He would have gone to Tennessee if they had offered.

oh well, so much for my theory. Sounds noble anyway.

He did turn down Arkansas...

The fact of having to work with less talent, however, stands.

Part of his job is to consistently bring in quality talent. If his inability to bring in talent is due to MSD, then he should just go elsewhere or stop complaining about talent.

Part of his job is to consistently bring in quality talent. If his inability to bring in talent is due to MSD, then he should just go elsewhere or stop complaining about talent.

When did Grobe complain?

Grobe will never oversign a recruiting class. He puts himself at a competitive disadvantage for doing so, even though I respect the principled stand he is taking.

I think Grobe is as good a coach as Wake Forest could ever hope for but I don't think he would be that successful at another school. I see him as a 7-9 win a year coach.

Back