• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Men's Golf

Could be time for our favorite Wake golf pastime ... talking about how good next year's team should be ...

If this team doesn't make the NCAA finals I'll finally be on the bandwagon that we need a coaching change.

Yeah it would be hard to argue against it. Also just odd though given we finished second in the ACC. Although looking at the ACC results in regionals that doesn't appear to be as good an accomplishment as we may have thought.

Our top four today still have the final three holes to play. We made five birdies on 16 and 17 yesterday and a similar performance today could vault us into the top five.

And as I wrote that, we made two bogeys on 15. #[Redacted]'d

We are basically going to be so far back that we need a team in front of us to shit the bed AND we need to shoot around even par as a team to make it. The pressure these guys are going to be under has to be intense.

HUGE finish by Womble. He birdied the last 3 holes. We need one of McBrid or Sterbinsky to come down off that +4 number in the final few holes and we can claw back a bit of the deficit. We're currently only 4 shots out of 5th.

McBride is heading towards mid-40s back today. Also impressive that we made two bogeys and a double on 16.

cal must have holed out from the fairway for eagle on 18

If things hold true as they are today, Wake will be by far the highest ranked team to not qualify.

Sterbinsky birdies 18 to get us to +5. Awful day but we are only a few shots out.

GT shot themselves back into contention with a +1 day (3rd best round of the day); they are currently 4 shots behind WF in 8th place. Teams 9 through 14 are out of it. 1st place Stanford is a lock with a 15 shot lead over #2.

So, any of the teams currently in 2nd through 8th place could get in if they play solidly or miss the cut with a bad round tomorrow. Would think of the 7 teams in contention for the last 4 spots, the WF team has more players that have successfully grinded out solid rounds in adverse situations in their golfing careers.

FWIW, pretty amazing that WF is 1 shot out of the top 5 with their #1 player (Zalatoris) going 76-76. He is the #4 seed in the field and is currently in 49th place. Got to think that Zalatoris will play better tomorrow (he was +3 on the Par 5s today). To demonstrate how poorly Zalatoris has played, Siena College, in the middle of golf country (upstate NY) has two players with lower scores than Zalatoris.

Last edited:
We are basically going to be so far back that we need a team in front of us to shit the bed AND we need to shoot around even par as a team to make it. The pressure these guys are going to be under has to be intense.

Idk I see it the other way. I feel like trying to maintain a lead is harder. Every week on the PGA tour we see players blow leads on Sunday due to playing not to lose and other guys coming from behind playing loose. I definitely like our chances better than if we did have that cushion for the 5th spot. We will see.

I wonder if Zalatoris's mind is looking ahead to the rest of his week, since he will head straight to Texas for Byron Nelson with no practice round. I'm definitely worried about GT.

Also worried about GT but I think North Florida is an excellent candidate to blow up tomorrow. They had an round of a lifetime today and I see them regressing to the mean tomorrow.

Basketball coaching and golf coaching are not comparable. My longstanding gripe with Haas is that he couldn't recruit. But I can't blame him if players don't perform on a given weekend. So if this team is as talented as everyone seems to believe, it's not on him. I thought we should have gotten rid of him a long time ago but having kept him I'm not sure why the result of this week should be the last straw.

Back