• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Men's Golf

No complaints on 2nd.

I just finished reading Slaying the Tiger, and was shocked that Patrick Reed almost came here. He didn't play very well with others back then, but even so he brought home two titles...

Read it about 2 months ago, it's a really fun read and I recommend it to any golf fan. Shane Ryan did a great job.

This is a very disappointing day and tournament for us...golf needs an ACC Championship bad. We have the equivalent of 2 MCD AA's in the starting 5 who have both seriously underperformed this week.

2nd is an excellent finish in my opinion. Tough conference and we are about 17th in the country with some injuries this year. Plus it takes 5 on a golf team, not just 2 Shake! Duke had several McD AA's in basketball and did not win the ACC and also had a critical injury. We can round into form and make a good run in the NCAA's if we can get everybody playing well at the same time. It is no longer the day of us & only 4 or 5 schools offering schollies--plus there are limits, unlike back in our hey day of the 70's. We only have 4.5 while even the women get 6 for whatever Title IX reason.

Looks like Wake is 2nd seed in the Tucson regional. Stanford is the 1 seed, UNC a 5 seed, and GT is 8th. From Google earth, it looks like the course is a desert course. Hopefully the disaster in Cabo is not a commentary on the team's desert abilities.

Gallery golf club is a great course for our team. It favors longer hitters.

How many teams advance to the NCAA finals

Looks like we will finish +11. Not a bad score and could have us in the top 6 at the end of the day which is the cut line. If not we will be right there.

We were seeded 10th or 11th.

Do our guys still wear long pants in all tournaments? Are we the only ones that do that? I would think it could be pretty hot in AZ in mid May.

Do our guys still wear long pants in all tournaments? Are we the only ones that do that? I would think it could be pretty hot in AZ in mid May.

I think they're about the only ones that do......at least from the tournaments I've watched.
Seems to be a real disadvantage when everyone else can where shorts. Especially when you have to carry your bag too.

I think they're about the only ones that do......at least from the tournaments I've watched.
Seems to be a real disadvantage when everyone else can where shorts. Especially when you have to carry your bag too.

Yes, swamp ass can be a real issue.

In the 3 day regionals, WF ladies finished day 2 in 9th place, 3 shots out of 6th (the top 6 qualify for the NCAA Finals - UNC is currently in sixth). On the individual side, WF freshman Jennifer Kupcho is in 5th place at -1. She is two shots out of the lead.

Is women's golf the easiest free ride in college sports?

Specific sport yes but female crew coaches will show up at big high schools and offer a partial scholarship/admission to anyone that is athletic but not committed to sport in college.

Have to get ready for the pro tours! But seriously that blows, completely unnecessary.

Is women's golf the easiest free ride in college sports?

Eh questionable. For mid tier to lower d1 and d2 schools yeah basically, play okay and you're on a team. For the top teams you have to be competitive as hell in junior tournaments. Theres a big drop off between really good college ladies golf teams and the rest. Same with the guys to be fair (granted to a lesser extent). The top teams are in a league of their own. If you're not in the top 50(ish) d1 teams then really good d2 teams will be competitive with you. Texas Tech is #46 in the nation, average tourney score of 292 (34 rounds). Barry #7 D2 has an average tourney score of 291 (33 rounds).

Back