• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2016 Panthers Thread: MOVING ON

Status
Not open for further replies.
He stands to make a shade under $14M with the tag this year. Not that different.

Granted, we do have to do some more pay that man with others

$14-16M for 2016 Norman is justifiable. But his contribution might not be worth half that in three years. We got him for another year in his absolute prime. Unless we can work out a sensible contract like TD, there's no way Gettleman is investing that kind of dough on a CB in his thirties, especially when we still have to pay Star and KK - both of whom i'd order as priorities over Norman.

I think that depends on what we get out of Bene on the outside and our CB draft pick.

I think that depends on what we get out of Bene on the outside and our CB draft pick.

I think spending 16mil on our front 7 is a much better long term investment, than giving it to an ageing CB. Our front 7 is what makes the secondary look so good. Love me some Jno though.

Also I don't necessarily trust Jno with that kind of cash.

Well we'll see what he does with the cash this year.

The front 7 is in good shape. Luke and TD are locked up. CJ signed for less money. Ealy and Shaq are on their rookie deals. So are the backup LBs. GMan will probably draft a rookie DE as well. So it comes down to KK and Star. That money may already be there regardless of how much Norman gets paid.

Also CB without Norman is a huge weakness. Hell, CB without Peanut is a weakness. I can only see not spending on Norman if Bene and a rookie CB pan out on the outsides and Boykin looks like a possible long term solution.

We are going to pay Star, KK, and a future starting DE. Big money pretty much sucked
Last year and we need a stud to play opposite of Kony. If we can make all that happen and still pay josh then I'm cool with it. I don't think defensive backs are a priority to Gettlemen so I wouldnt be surprised at all if we let josh walk:

Who is the future starting DE who will make big money anytime soon?

Who is the future starting DE who will make big money anytime soon?
That's gettlemans job. It's clear though we value the DE position highly, and we are going to have to replace not as big money sometime in the near future.

Gman has really built a roster to last. Amazing work from just two years ago.

ESPN Insider FA grades:

Grade: B

Franchise player: CB Josh Norman (unsigned)

Re-signed: LS J.J. Jansen, LB Ben Jacobs, G Chris Scott, WR Stephen Hill, DE Charles Johnson, QB Joe Webb, FB Mike Tolbert

Signed: C Gino Gradkowski, S Trenton Robinson, CB Brandon Boykin

Lost/cut: P Brad Nortman, DE Jared Allen (retired), DT Dwan Edwards, DT Nate Chandler

The Panthers have not done much beyond re-signing Tolbert and Johnson, two key veteran role players. That was the point after the team spent last offseason re-signing Greg Olsen, Cam Newton, Thomas Davis and Luke Kuechly. The team presumably would like to strike a long-term deal with cornerback Josh Norman, their franchise player. That has not happened.

"I'm convinced this might be the most stable model of success in the NFL right now," Yates said. "My question looking at them is, how many spots are available on the 53-man roster as of the first day of free agency? There are not many. You could say they need to add another target in the passing game, but if you spend there, does it prevent you from getting a deal done with Norman?"

Dominik said the Panthers are probably bracing themselves for next offseason, when defensive tackle Kawann Short will be in line for a new contract. The money Malik Jackson commanded from the Giants had to be eye-opening for other teams with top defensive tackles, although Carolina does have the franchise tag as leverage.

While Yates thought Carolina deserved an 'A' grade, the broader consensus said the grade should be lower simply because the Panthers have not done much -- not that standing pat is bad for a team that has shown it can get good value from lower-end investments such as Michael Oher and Kurt Coleman.

"They have a plan," Riddick said.

Are we just going to forget that DonkFreak07 hated GMan to a point I haven't seen since Townie expressed his unadulterated hatred for Ish Smith?

That's gettlemans job. It's clear though we value the DE position highly, and we are going to have to replace not as big money sometime in the near future.

The answer is Ealy. GMan isn't going throw big money at a free agent. He spends on home grown players.

Are we just going to forget that DonkFreak07 hated GMan to a point I haven't seen since Townie expressed his unadulterated hatred for Ish Smith?

He wasn't the only one. Took a lot of folks a long time to get over letting Smitty walk

He wasn't the only one. Took a lot of folks a lot of wins to get over letting Smitty walk

fify. People were going off about that right up until we made a push into the playoffs 2 seasons ago. Nobody has mentioned it since.

(To be fair, I wasn't thrilled with the move either at the time. Every fan loved Smitty, and it looked like we only had 1 WR the season after he left)

Last edited:

He's doing good things, but he was a complete and total bitch in the way he handled Smitty. Just a cowardly man-fupa'd bitch. I won't forgive that.

Was there any situation where Smith would have been gracious after being cut? No. That's what makes Smitty tick. If you actually give a shit how Gettleman "handled" it, you deserve Hurney. Maybe if he wasn't such a shit head to our franchise player he'd still be here.

Was there any situation where Smith would have been gracious after being cut? No. That's what makes Smitty tick. If you actually give a shit how Gettleman "handled" it, you deserve Hurney. Maybe if he wasn't such a shit head to our franchise player he'd still be here.

Cutting smith was the right move. I just expected GMan to actually be a man about it. He wasn't.

Meh... he was tasked with releasing the best player in franchise history in his first year, and i think it got out from under him as he was putting out feelers for a trade.

Smitty could have been a little more gracious to an organization that stuck with him though numerous incidents, and not be such a bitter asshole. You're a millionaire, suck it the fuck up. And he still got a check from the Panthers last year to play for another team.

Must really suck to be a Panthers/UNC fan. McCrory karma bitches

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back