• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2016 Panthers Thread: MOVING ON

Status
Not open for further replies.
Victor Cruz visiting the Panthers.
Would like this signing. I think he will be pretty cheap and someone who can play the slot. I think he just needs a change of scenery.

Victor Cruz visiting the Panthers.
Would like this signing. I think he will be pretty cheap and someone who can play the slot. I think he just needs a change of scenery.

Agreed. I can't see us shelling out the dough for DJax, either, so this would be a good 2nd option.

Good. I was hoping we'd give him a look. I don't see the need for a big time FA WR. A high risk guy like Cruz is great.

Interesting four round mock draft. Has us taking a OT Garcia from Troy in the 2nd and TE Butt in the 3rd.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...mock-draft-top-talent-drops-with-early-qb-run

Butt in the 3rd would be incredible. I doubt he drops that far, but who knows. If that's a real possibility, I'd MUCH rather have that than reaching for Howard at 8. I realize I'm a little bias, but if Butt really is the 5th best TE in that class, then we certainly should be taking one this draft.

Catscratch did a write up on him a couple weeks ago.
http://www.catscratchreader.com/2017/2/10/14575630/2017-nfl-draft-potential-panthers-jake-butt

Last edited:
I like big Butt

fify

"I cannot lie."

I bet he's never heard that one before.

Both Redskin WR are FA. With Crowder emerging, I bet they let Garcon go and keep DJax. Supposedly, Garcon fits with Rams due to OC history. I like Garcon better than Cruz just for health reasons. Thoughts?

Last edited:
fify

"I cannot lie."

I bet he's never heard that one before.

Both Redskin WR are FA. With Crowder emerging, I bet they let Garcon go and keep DJax. Supposedly, Garcon fits with Rams due to OC history. I like Garcon better than Cruz just for health reasons. Thoughts?

Very similar players. Before the injury, Cruz was the more dynamic WR, and I didn't watch enough of him last year to have an updated opinion. Also, doesn't Garcon typically play out wide with Cruz in the slot? We need slot help the most.

Cruz had 586 yards last year. Nothing stellar; however that would have been good for third-most on the team last year. If he could give us a 2015 Cotchery season, it would be a really good signing. I imagine he'd come at a similar price.

Dumbass Frank Garcia (I don't listen to his show but my mom likes it for some reason) was saying last week Cruz would be our #1 WR if we signed him.

Better be for cheap -- don't think he has a lot left after the injuries

Maybe he'll be like HOF Hixon and his like one good catch of the year will win us the division

Cruz had 586 yards last year. Nothing stellar; however that would have been good for third-most on the team last year. If he could give us a 2015 Cotchery season, it would be a really good signing. I imagine he'd come at a similar price.

Yep.

Why couldn't we give our 7th round pick for Albert?!?

Wondering the same thing.

Cruz is done

Well then it's worth it to kick the tires and see.

Dumbass Frank Garcia (I don't listen to his show but my mom likes it for some reason) was saying last week Cruz would be our #1 WR if we signed him.

Pretty sure 2&2's name isn't "Frank Garcia."

Greg Olsen's brother who is the QB for UNCC is getting charged with forcible rape. Kid has been at 3 different colleges since getting his start at Miami. Seems like a bad seed.

Pretty sure 2&2's name isn't "Frank Garcia."

Not sure if I think he would be the #1, but he might be like a #1A to Benjamin. Cruz has played his entire career in the slot, but last year Sterling Shepard took more snaps in the slot than any other WR in the NFL, so Cruz was lining up on the outside the entire season. Combine that new position with coming back from injuries that sidelined him for 2 seasons and he wasn't as productive as in the past, yet still had 39/586 as the 3rd option, which is pretty remarkable given the two guys ahead of him.

Now obviously a big reason why he wasn't playing in the slot is because they were worried about the strength of his knee, but he made it through the season fine and most people say the second year after a major injury (or two) is when a player gets back into form. I don't think he'll ever have the top-level explosion that he used to have, but he can still run routes and catch for possession, and will probably have some explosive plays if he is back in the slot and gets the occasional LB coverage. That being said, his size is the anti-KB/Funchize, and he isn't getting up into the air like this any more to catch Cam's wild overthrows, so Cam has to keep the ball down or it will be pick city.

victor-cruz-one-handed-catch-o.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back