• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2016 Panthers Thread: MOVING ON

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like Norman, but I think we'd be OK if he left

We don't even know if Bene is a legit outside starter.

JNo has never gotten a real payday before. He isn't going to pass up one penny of that franchise tender money when the time comes.

We don't even know if Bene is a legit outside starter.

A rotation of Drayton Florence, Melvin White and Captain Munnerlyn were our starting corners in 2013, the year we were 2nd in the league in defense. You can get production out of replacement-level players if you get pressure and scheme well. Also, having Kuechly, TD and Shaq helps tremendously in coverage.

I would prefer not to have replacement level CBs though.

As we stand, we cannot afford to lose Norman. But there are a few measures we could take over the next year and a half to minimize the damage if he left after this season.

Last edited:
As we stand, we cannot afford to lose Norman. But there are a few measures we could take over the next year and a half to minimize the damage if he left after this season.
Why not? If we draft someone decent then I think we'd be OK with Bene, Boykin and a good young guy

I love Jno but there's no reason to cap strap ourselves when we've shown over and over that our defense can cover for average CBs

Why not? If we draft someone decent then I think we'd be OK with Bene, Boykin and a good young guy

I love Jno but there's no reason to cap strap ourselves when we've shown over and over that our defense can cover for average CBs

Yes, we've shown over and over that we can be OK with average CB's. But it's super bowl or bust, and losing a lock down corner and replacing him with Bene or a rookie would hurt our chances pretty badly in this pass happy league. Our defense got shredded in 2 minute drills a few times this past year and we were lucky to hold on. Now imagine if the other teams #1 WR had someone average on them instead of JNo.

Fortunately, we have JNo for this year, so we have time to find someone to replace him should he decide to leave, or just prove incapable of repeating last year.

I think you two basically agree. Drafting someone decent is one of those few measures. But if we draft someone who isn't decent, we won't be OK with just that guy, Bene, and Boykin and we'd be in a place where CB is a 1st round priority.

I think we're going to lose Norman after this season anyway, so we have to focus on the secondary in the draft. JNO is too old for us to give him the contract he wants. We have to build around younger guys.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

I think Norman is going to go for the hometown discount after GMan plays hardball for a whole season. It's even more like if he drafts a CB who pans out.

I think Norman is going to go for the hometown discount after GMan plays hardball for a whole season. It's even more like if he drafts a CB who pans out.
Especially if no one else is paying up

I have a feeling that Norman's market value is in that $12mm/year range. Seems like lots of folks think he's a product of our system and not a lockdown guy.

NFL schedule will be released tomorrow at 8 PM. o/u on Panthers prime time games 3.5?

NFL schedule will be released tomorrow at 8 PM. o/u on Panthers prime time games 3.5?

Heart says 4, but head says 3. Hope to be pleasantly surprised. I'm afraid with our weak home schedule, if we do get 4, 3 of them will end up being road games. Hoping for a Thursday night home game vs. an NFC South opponent, and a MNF game vs. Arizona (don't feel that any of our home opponents are strong enough for a SNF home game).

Last edited:
My wedding is October 8th and I'll be out of the country October 16th so I'm hoping that A. one is a bye week and B. the Panthers trip to DC isn't over either day.

Really REALLY hoping for B.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back