• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2016 Panthers Thread: MOVING ON

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's no bad guy here. Norman and GMan have to do what's best for them.

It was pretty clear that Norman wasn't happy about getting tagged in the first place, and it was obvious that Gettleman wasn't going to pay him what he wanted. Even if it is a little bit painful in the short term, it will be worth it in the long term.

Jags and 49ers are 2 most likely candidates. Both have need and money.

Per ESPN:
AT THIS POINT, WHO CAN AFFORD JOSH NORMAN?
Under current cap situations, there are 11 teams other than Carolina that have at least $13.952M in cap room (Jaguars, 49ers, Browns, Titans, Giants, Bears, Dolphins, Colts, Lions, Bengals, Bucs). That was the one-year figure Norman refused to play for, so a deal will likely need to be more than that.

Only the Bengals in that list realistically look to be pushing for the playoffs. After last year showed their age, the Colts need a ton of rebuilding.

Another interesting stat from NFL Network:
Norman will become the sixth cornerback to switch teams in the offseason following an All-Pro selection:

Darrelle Revis Patriots (2014) to Jets (2015)

Nnamdi Asomugha Raiders (2010) to Eagles (2011)
Asante Samuel Patriots (2007) to Eagles (2008)
Eric Davis 49ers (1995) to Panthers (1996)
Deion Sanders 49ers (1994) to Cowboys (1995)
Deion Sanders Falcons (1993) to 49ers (1994)
Only Sanders in San Francisco earned All-Pro honors in the first season with his new team.

@SteveReedAP
Talked to Josh Norman a minute ago about the move, but would only say "Man, I just don't feel like talking about it right now."

This was.....unexpected. Gentleman's got some big meaty clackers,

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

I kept reading about the negotiating in good faith during all of this and it seemed bad went Josh wasn't even saying that was happening. He seems like the type to sign with a division team just to try to stick it to us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First time he hasn't felt like talking.

Love the move. We gave him his chance in the league and if he wants to chase after $20M and sign with a loser like Tampa or Tennessee then good riddance.

This is a business.

Hope we trade up and grab somebody in the draft that can somewhat replace him.

Surprised so many people are happy about this. Only makes the team worse for next year and we are not in a great position to replace him or even get close to replacing his production. He would have signed the tag

I'm not happy but I think it's the right move

I don't know. Maybe they felt a distraction coming on, but it's not like we're going to be able to spend $32 million for the rest of this offseason, so it's really no different than him holding out in my mind. He'd eventually sign the tag and we'd have a year to work on a replacement

I'm fine with this. I don't want to lock JNo down for multiple years. I would rather get him on the franchise tag for one more year and let him walk after next year, but so it goes. More money to get KK & Star locked up.

Surprised so many people are happy about this. Only makes the team worse for next year and we are not in a great position to replace him or even get close to replacing his production. He would have signed the tag

I'm with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back