• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2016 Panthers Thread: MOVING ON

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a week before the draft. Too early to panic.

The question to ask is does it make your team better for next year, a resounding hell no. After that does it make your team better in the long run, probably yes but unknown at this point.

Love the move. We gave him his chance in the league and if he wants to chase after $20M and sign with a loser like Tampa or Tennessee then good riddance.

This is a business.

Hope we trade up and grab somebody in the draft that can somewhat replace him.

That's the problem with this, it makes it more likely we act out of desperation and either reach or trade up when we would have been in a position to draft a CB when it was right and work them in.

I wouldn't be surprised to see us trade up in the first or second to take a top CB now

In a vacuum, losing Norman is bad, but we don't even know if we're going to lose him. He could fire his agent and sign a cap friendly 4 year, $42 million deal tomorrow. It's too early to ask that question. Plenty of moves to be made.

In Gettleman I trust.

Trading up for a top CB isn't a bad thing at all. We need fewer picks. I'm betting DE in the 1st and trade up to mid-2nd for a CB.

We were never getting more than 1 year out of Norman. If we were expecting to draft his replacement, it's really unlikely he would have dramatically improved from not ready to ready in one year. We either hit or we don't. This is a short term problem caused by a long term solution.

That's the problem with this, it makes it more likely we act out of desperation and either reach or trade up when we would have been in a position to draft a CB when it was right and work them in.

I wouldn't be surprised to see us trade up in the first or second to take a top CB now

We aren't doing that. Veteran CBs are readily available after cuts. We'll be fine.1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basically every year under Gettles we've had an apparent gaping hole on the team that either eventually gets filled or doesn't end up hurting us near as much as expected.

With the cap space I could see us as players at the trade deadline (or before)

They really did JNo a solid, they could've waited to see how the draft plays out before rescinding the tag.

Will be interesting to see now deal JNo snags. Panthers were offering 4 years, 12-13 per. JNo and agent wouldn't budge off 16 per. I don't think they'll get that on the open market.

I had no idea who Josh Norman was this time last year. For all I know, there's another late round pick that's been groomed to step up. Hope Josh gets his money even if not with us.

We also haven't really talked about how having a lockdown CB in a zone defense with a strong front seven isn't necessarily a priority either.

Obviously you always want the best players, but not if the price is too high. It can be spent elsewhere.

We also haven't really talked about how having a lockdown CB in a zone defense with a strong front seven isn't necessarily a priority either.

Obviously you always want the best players, but not if the price is too high. It can be spent elsewhere.

You mean we haven't talked about it in the last few hours, right?

We've talked about it plenty with respect to Norman's future.

awaken, Norman was the #1 CB in 2014 and had a breakout season.

Last edited:
I'm not convinced that Norman will be universally good outside of our defense

They really did JNo a solid, they could've waited to see how the draft plays out before rescinding the tag.

Will be interesting to see now deal JNo snags. Panthers were offering 4 years, 12-13 per. JNo and agent wouldn't budge off 16 per. I don't think they'll get that on the open market.

Yeah but he could get the 12-13 per plus a 10 mil signing bonus from someone else, which nets him more than if the Panthers were to resign him. So he probably ends up significantly better for this coming season at least, and probably betterlong-term assuming that he can't duplicate his success in another system but someone inks him now anyway at a year younger than scheduled.

Biggest effect of this is that now all other players are on notice not to fuck around with Gettleman.

I see Chip Kelly and Josh Norman getting along really well

I'm not convinced that Norman will be universally good outside of our defense

+1. Just like a few other CBs who have left and gotten paid off our defense, I think it makes them 'better' than they are. He's talented yes, but 16 mil a year talented, no. I fully expect he'll get paid and disappear a bit on some non-playoff team.

I never got the impression RR liked dealing with Norman all that much. Chemistry and culture were the buzzwords last year, seems to be the philosophy going forward. It sucks now, but there should be enough talent on defense to absorb the loss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back