• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF Track & Field (Heppenstall Named ACC Freshman of the Year)

Rafi

Reaction score
I didn't see a thread on this, so I figured I'd get one going. Also, I don't know a lot about college track & field, so hopefully those with more knowledge will chime in.

Wake has a freshman, Robert Heppenstall, that looks to be off to a great start. He won the ACC 800 m indoors and qualified for nationals, which will take place today (I think at 7:25 PM). In winning the ACC Indoors, he broke the Wake Forest school record, the Canadian Junior record, and the ACC Indoor meet record (set in 1991).

Heppenstall was one of 8 qualifiers and will race in the finals Saturday. He is the only freshman - all others are juniors and seniors.

It appears he just barely qualified for the final tomorrow based on his time as he finished 5th in his heat. Overall, had the 7th fastest time out of the 8 guys who made the finals which will be run tomorrow at 5:30.
His time of 1:47.91 was 0.55 seconds behind 3rd fastest time and under 1 sec from the fastest. Should be a good race.

It appears he just barely qualified for the final tomorrow based on his time as he finished 5th in his heat. Overall, had the 7th fastest time out of the 8 guys who made the finals which will be run tomorrow at 5:30.
His time of 1:47.91 was 0.55 seconds behind 3rd fastest time and under 1 sec from the fastest. Should be a good race.

That's a heck of a time, especially for a freshman.

Track alums all over the country are cheering............at least the ones that know about it

Track alums all over the country are cheering............at least the ones that know about it

They might have included that information with the five emails they've sent in the last twenty-four hours.

Jessie Merckle broke the school record in the javelin today in a meet at High Point. At 56.91m it was the second longest throw in the nation this year.

Jessie is a 'stud-ettte'. The school record she broke was her own that she last spring.

Also, Tylor Harris is the top shot putter for Wake this spring. No spring football for him this year so he can help out track. He was a stud thrower in HS.

Sydney White won first place in the pole vault at VT and broke her own school record in the process, clearing 4.25 m.

Sydney White won first place in the pole vault at VT and broke her own school record in the process, clearing 4.25 m.

Just a tad shy of 14 ft (for those non-metric types)
Impressive!

Jessie Merckle won her 3rd ACC javelin championship today, besting the field by over 2 meters.

Also, Wake track alumnus Greg Billington successfully qualified for the Rio Olympics this weekend at Triathlon.

Heppenstall won the 800m outdoor ACC championship today to go along with his indoor championship. Not a bad freshmen campaign.

Heppenstall won the 800m outdoor ACC championship today to go along with his indoor championship. Not a bad freshmen campaign.

Heppenstall is a stud. Both teams finished 12th. We just don't have a
lot of depth for whatever reason. Throws coach is doing a great job with
his group.

Heppenstall is a stud. Both teams finished 12th. We just don't have a
lot of depth for whatever reason. Throws coach is doing a great job with
his group.

Probably the big reason is cost. Few scholarships to give, and Wake's high tuition.

Back