• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2016 Basketball Coaching Carousel

Pat Kelsey will be kicking Wake's butt in a couple of years. Great work Wellman. Son of a...

Lost out to a JMU grad. Let's not throw dirt on his coaching career quite yet

Lost out to a JMU grad. Let's not throw dirt on his coaching career quite yet

I like Kelsey and am following his career on the chance he ends up back here sometime in the future. But I was just pointing out that believing Wellman has made a mistake if GT hires him now is just dumb.

If Kelsey gets the GT job, good for him, but GT fans (who may not be aware of what a great guy he is), have got to be bummed.

Bryce Drew apparently chose Vandy over GT (Vandy has had some decent seasons of late, but historically GT is a far more accomplished program with a brand new facility and is in Atlanta as compared to Nashville -- btw, in Nashville, U of Tennessee has a bigger following than Vandy; Vandy should not be considered a better job than GT). Also, Jeff Capel also apparently would rather be an assistant coach than a head coach at GT (I get that if Capel's offer is from High Point, but not when a Power 5 school makes an offer; Paul Hewitt took GT to a NC game; they have produced a ton of NBA players; the right coach can win an NC at GT). So, GT might end up with a coach that James Madison turned down? Yikes.

I wonder if Drew is scared off by the ACC? If so I don't think he should be -- with the premium placed on top 50 wins I think it's more of an advantage to playing the established creme de la creme in the league than a disadvantage. Ample opportunities to pick up the wins you need to make the tourney.

Yes some ACC teams will have to get left out each year but moving forward I think minimum 7 teams are going to get in from the ACC on the reg, and often more than that

Until the ACC starts to regularly put 9 or 10 teams in the NCAA Tournament, then the bottom half of the ACC coaching jobs are going to be viewed as job security risks. VT is the only team that has bucked that trend and they had to give a very unfavorable contract (from VT's perspective) to Buzz Williams to pull that off.

I like Kelsey and am following his career on the chance he ends up back here sometime in the future. But I was just pointing out that believing Wellman has made a mistake if GT hires him now is just dumb.

Yeah, Kelsey's career has been "out of sync" with Wake's hiring BB coaches the last two times. Six years ago he was still an assistant at X, and two years ago he had just started at Winthrop, with one bad year followed by a decent year. Not really a resume for Wake at that point.

Until the ACC starts to regularly put 9 or 10 teams in the NCAA Tournament

If we're not there we're knocking on the door. Would've had 8 in this year if Louisville was eligible, and the 10th place team who would've played on Tuesday in the ACCT if not for Louisville's absence just made the Final Four.

Meanwhile the 3rd place team in the SEC just got left out of the tournament

Last edited:
Capel is going to be the next coach at Duke. He's not going to do anything to jeopardize that.

That is true, however, he also has to have enough of a resume to make it look reasonable to hire him as the K replacement. A bunch of mediocre seasons at a mediocre school won't do that.

I would LOVE for Duke to hire Capel. Considering they will have their pick of anyone, Capel would be pretty underwhelming, IMO. My biggest fear is that they're going to get K 2.0 that has another 30 year long run. I don't see Capel doing that. Also glad Brad Stevens is having success in Boston. If we can't have him, I don't want him anywhere in the NCAA.

The only trouble with that line of thinking is that NBA coaches are hired so they can be fired (unless his name is Greg Popovich) so Stevens probably will be available in a few years. The best hope is that he likes the NBA better than college and gets on the head coach/first assistant/head coach merry-go-round.

Back