• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2016 Basketball Coaching Carousel

Exactly. He's low risk, high upside.

I don't think you can say he's low risk without knowing the terms of his contract. How much are they paying? Do they have to pay his sizable buy out from Memphis? What's the length of the contract? Did Tech have to give him a ridiculous buy out to move making it nearly impossible to fire him?

Eh, even Pastner's bad teams haven't been that bad. 72 KP this year. NCAA 4 out of last 6 with no essentially no Cal players. No red flags on the advanced stats. Age is a plus.

This is what other fan bases say when a program makes a horrible hire.

Let me try, [name redacted] made two postseasons in two years at Air Force. Inherited a terrible situation at Colorado with a team coming off a 7-20 season. Lead a massive improvement in his final year there. A good hire for where Wake is in its coaching search

Pastner seems like a guy that could clean up recruiting in a city like Atlanta in a conference like the ACC. Just a gut feeling.

It's easy and fun to lol when a school hires a coach that his old school was close to firing / wanted to fire.

But I think when you step back and look at the actual fundamentals of Pastner and his 7 year track record at Memphis it's not as bad. IMO.

Pastner seems like a guy that could clean up recruiting in a city like Atlanta in a conference like the ACC. Just a gut feeling.

He cleaned up at Memphis in recruiting, yet wasn't pulling up any trees against MUUUUUUUUUUCH weaker competition.

The defense of him here has always been stupefying. I don't know if people here just have a hard-on for guys who recruit, but as he proves recruiting is not the 100% be-all end-all.

And how much of his recruiting success -- much of it early in his tenure -- was the Calipari legacy? I guess we'll find out

He took over a program near the top of CBB and has progressed to losing to ECU the last two years and becoming a mid tier AAC team.

Memphis is a pretty damn good job and while he had solid momentum to begin with, he has really lost everything.

Perhaps a fresh start works out for him and GT, but it sure as hell isn't low risk.

Memphis isn't a "good job." It had a history from the Memphis State days, sure. But modern era? Calipari took it as far as it could go.

Pastner is only two years removed from 4 straight tourney appearances. Pastner is low risk because he's not going to do worse than Gregory. He's a better hire than Manning easily. Probably better than Stallings due to age.

Last edited:
Huh? Cremins won at APP STATE. Pastner inherited what Calipari had built, recruited great partly as a result, yet couldn't win and his teams kept getting worse

All the best recruits left with Cal to Kentucky. A lot of players already on the roster went pro or transferred.

His best year was his 4th... pretty far removed from Cal. He also won 3 conference tournaments in a row.

He had 2 down years, but his overall resume is solid. It's not a home-run hire but if his strength is recruiting, that's a good bet for GT.

Memphis isn't a "good job." It had a history from the Memphis State days, sure. But modern era? Calipari took it as far as it could go.

A missed 3 away from winning a national title. That's pretty damn far.

Now, I'm not saying Pastner should've maintained that level. But ever making it out of the first weekend of the tournament -- and not reducing his team to also-ran status in a (bad) football conference, would've been bare minimum accomplishments after what Cal did.

He easily could be worse than Gregory

Memphis is certainly a good job. Chances are they go after Marshall if they get Pastner to leave. Cal took them to within a Chalmers 3 of being national champs. That's as far as anyone can go, so that's a weird comment.

So I guess you consider Manning low risk too? Being better than a dumpster fire doesn't mean you are low risk.

He took over a program near the top of CBB and has progressed to losing to ECU the last two years and becoming a mid tier AAC team.

Memphis is a pretty damn good job and while he had solid momentum to begin with, he has really lost everything.

Perhaps a fresh start works out for him and GT, but it sure as hell isn't low risk.

Is it? Cal was a good fit because he could get anyone in, but nothing about it now makes it seem like a standout, especially with super-tv conferences now.

Memphis is certainly a good job. Chances are they go after Marshall if they get Pastner to leave. Cal took them to within a Chalmers 3 of being national champs. That's as far as anyone can go, so that's a weird comment.

So I guess you consider Manning low risk too? Being better than a dumpster fire doesn't mean you are low risk.

You're comparing Manning to a coach with 7 years of head coaching experience and 4 NCAA appearances? C'mon man.

Is it? Cal was a good fit because he could get anyone in, but nothing about it now makes it seem like a standout, especially with super-tv conferences now.

I mean, they play in an NBA arena and draw huge crowds. They've always been a powerhouse in whatever conference they're in. Who exactly was Memphis' competition in the Conference USA Pastner racked up a bunch of meaningless wins and won those darling conference tournaments against? Southern Miss? TULSA?

Then Memphis moves to not a good conference, but a conference with a couple actual basketball programs, and they've quickly been reduced to also-ran status. How is this supposed to be a positive harbinger of his chances in an absolutely loaded ACC?

If there's an appeal to him somewhere here, it is completely escaping me

I think if GT made this hire two years ago, pulling a 36 year old coming off four straight NCAAs (with no Cal players on those rosters, btw) it would be considered a great hire.

The last two years have been really bad and makes Pastner look way worse. So I would say, on balance, he's okay at this point. But with where GT is in the coaching search it seems fine to me. There are really no appealing mid majors left.

Pastner is low risk because he's not going to do worse than Gregory.

I'm not comparing Pastner to Manning at all, just using your definition of low risk in our situation. It seems you are assuming all GT wants is someone better than Gregory, which is clearly ridiculous. Like we hired Manning just hoping he'd be an improvement over redacted.

I mean, they play in an NBA arena and draw huge crowds. They've always been a powerhouse in whatever conference they're in. Who exactly was Memphis' competition in the Conference USA Pastner racked up a bunch of meaningless wins and won those darling conference tournaments against? Southern Miss? TULSA?

Then Memphis moves to not a good conference, but a conference with a couple actual basketball programs, and they've quickly been reduced to also-ran status. How is this supposed to be a positive harbinger of his chances in an absolutely loaded ACC?

If there's an appeal to him somewhere here, it is completely escaping me

Fair enough, but I think the shift in college bb conference alignment has hurt Memphis' program potential. Power 5 dominates now more than ever with TV $$.

He danced 4 years in a row. Granted, only 1 was in the newer, slightly better, conference.

From what I've seen, he's not a good in-game coach. But I can understand why GT gave him a shot IF the belief is he can be a strong recruiter within a better conference.

You think ACC will make it tougher for him, I think it's an easier sell than Memphis right now.

I'm not comparing Pastner to Manning at all, just using your definition of low risk in our situation. It seems you are assuming all GT wants is someone better than Gregory, which is clearly ridiculous. Like we hired Manning just hoping he'd be an improvement over redacted.

"Low risk" includes the fact he's an experienced coach who has made four NCAA Tournaments. His experience means he's certainly a lower risk than Manning.

Back