• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2016 Basketball Coaching Carousel

Again. I am not comparing him to Danny at all. Sorry for confusing you with that analogy.

You think he's low risk for GT. I disagree. A lot.

Our athletic department makes Wake Forest's look like a model of competency. What an absolute fucking clown show dumpster fire.

Ph is decidedly wrong here IMO. Pastner could get a trained seal into Memphis academically and couldn't do anything with that the last 2 years (after the Calipari boost to that program wore off) so how do you imagine he can recruit at a high academic school like Tech when their limitations on who they can recruit is SO vastly different than Memphis? He will likely recruit fairly well at GT even given those limitations, but he has not shown he can win even with high level talent in a league many tiers below the ACC. Not saying Manning was a good hire at all (he's not) but hiring Pastner is an extremely risky choice by Tech and could doom them to 4-5 more years of futility, much like where we are. The only good hires recently in the ACC (last 5-6 years anyway)were Larranaga, Bennett and Buzz Williams. FTR, I have heard Pat Kelsey is going to Atlanta for an interview this weekend which I would HATE if they got him because he would make them a power and they would continue to beat us like rented mules

Last edited:
unless you are an elite program, you don't want low risk hires. low risk is low ceiling unless you can get a championship caliber coach

I can't believe there is anyone who thinks Partner would be anything other than an absolute train wreck. That would actually be a worse hire than Bzzzz or Gregory, and I can't believe that's even possible.

I can't believe there is anyone who thinks Partner would be anything other than an absolute train wreck. That would actually be a worse hire than Bzzzz or Gregory, and I can't believe that's even possible.

You have zero perspective.

what realistic coach would you want?

That's probably who you would have gotten. It's a new age. Either you get an also ran or you go on a limb for a low major coach or an assistant.

Getting a young also ran with several tourney appearances is a coup.

Last edited:
But how much $$$ does Tech have to offer? They are still paying on the Hewitt contract and now will pay some to Gregory.

This has to be a factor.

I'd take a random ogboards poster over Pastner. Literally anyone.

I have to agree with Vad, I don't have any names as a realistic alternative to Pastner but I would be much more ready to try their luck on a young mid major unknown or a top assistant somewhere rather that him

even if they have money who could they realistically get? shaka or stevens?

Memphis is certainly a good job. Chances are they go after Marshall if they get Pastner to leave. Cal took them to within a Chalmers 3 of being national champs. That's as far as anyone can go, so that's a weird comment.

So I guess you consider Manning low risk too? Being better than a dumpster fire doesn't mean you are low risk.

Wait, wait, wait ! Why the hell would Marshall go to Memphis ? He's making $3.3 million at WSU. Pastner is making $2.65 million at Memphis. If Marshall decides to leave, which I'm not sure he will, I would think it would be to someplace where it's an obvious step up.

Could be ? Yeah, anything can happen I guess. I seriously doubt he'll do worse than Gregory in five years though, with one NIT appearance. Pastner should be safe for awhile though since Bobinski is going to have to save up money for the Paul Johnson buyout in a couple of years.

Ph is decidedly wrong here IMO. Pastner could get a trained seal into Memphis academically and couldn't do anything with that the last 2 years (after the Calipari boost to that program wore off) so how do you imagine he can recruit at a high academic school like Tech when their limitations on who they can recruit is SO vastly different than Memphis? He will likely recruit fairly well at GT even given those limitations, but he has not shown he can win even with high level talent in a league many tiers below the ACC. Not saying Manning was a good hire at all (he's not) but hiring Pastner is an extremely risky choice by Tech and could doom them to 4-5 more years of futility, much like where we are. The only good hires recently in the ACC (last 5-6 years anyway)were Larranaga, Bennett and Buzz Williams. FTR, I have heard Pat Kelsey is going to Atlanta for an interview this weekend which I would HATE if they got him because he would make them a power and they would continue to beat us like rented mules

And how is it that Marshall couldn't get a high major job after tearing it up at Winthrop for nine years, making the NCAA tournament seven times, but Pat Fucking Kelsey is interviewing for the Ga Tech job after four years there having never coached a postseason game ? I understand that Marshall is an abrasive asshole, but that doesn't make Kelsey qualified. Any chance Kelsey hires Gaudio as a bench "Expert" ? And getting back to my first point, Marshall is the guy that Ga Tech should be interviewing instead of Kelsey, but, like I pointed out earlier, he's not leaving WSU for Ga Tech OR Memphis.

Person who has not closely followed Memphis basketball here, but it's funny that 2 years ago Pastner was considered a desirable commodity and that people on this board wanted him to replace [Redacted]. Not sure what happened that now GT hiring him is considered a joke.

I live in Memphis. Very few people will be sad to see Pastner go. The school didnt want to keep him, but didnt want to pay his absurd $10 million buyout to fire him. So until GT came calling, both sides were stuck with each other. GT is literally gifting UM $10 million.

Josh will recruit fairly well in Atlanta, but what he does with those players remains to be seen. His recruiting had fallen off the past couple of years, until he hired the father of KJ and Dedric Lawson (who granted was a high school coach and was deserving of a college assistant job). But, he had started losing players from the Memphis area, and then losing Austin Nichols to transfer last summer was the nail in his coffin.

Memphis is a good job. Unlike most other cities in the South, it is a basketball town. People care about UM, the Grizzlies and SEC football. No one cares about the NFL here. UM gets better support from the city of Memphis residents than Wake Forest will ever get from W-S.

I can see them going a number of directions, including Bruce Pearl. More likely they go with an up and comer with legitimate head coaching experience.

Pastner is a terrible coach & would be a horrific hire. I'll go on record to say I would prefer Manning over him & it's not even close.

well looks like its official. and I feel like well not a great hire, I think itd be scary to learn who theyd end up with if he passed.

Doesn't chupe have a burning hatred for pastner? I always found that funny.

Yes. He was a walk-on at Arizona when I lived out there and was the most annoying, camera-hogging, high fiving douche rocket dick nose you've ever seen. All of my high school friends who were die hard UofA fans HATED him. We all wanted him dead. He was allowed to walk on because he was bringing Stephen Jackson with him, who he coached in high school (yes, he was an AAU coach when he was still in high school), but Jax couldn't qualify or got arrested or something.

I feel like he's a fraud, but I'm biased. I think those who have posted who seem to follow Memphis ball a little closer have it spot on. He'll probably recruit well initially, though I've always thought he was shady, but I don't think he'll do anything with it.

Person who has not closely followed Memphis basketball here, but it's funny that 2 years ago Pastner was considered a desirable commodity and that people on this board wanted him to replace Bzdelik. Not sure what happened that now GT hiring him is considered a joke.

Probably not by most of the people saying this is a terrible hire. And certainly not myself

Back