• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2016 Basketball Coaching Carousel

I would have self-immolated outside of Manchester had Wake hired Pastner and I barely watch games anymore to begin with.

Asked around to some of my GT connections...

Were more excited by prospect of Drew or even Cuonzo Martin. Glad it isn't Kelsey.

Optimistic because Pastner should be able to recruit in and around Atlanta (usually good for 1-2 blue chips a year). Already talk that he'll bring in Sharman White (HC at Miller Grove HS & asst on the US U-17 team).

Sounds pretty similar to our initial take on Manning in that they are just really happy to have Gregory gone... Willing to give Pastner a chance because a change was needed.

Georgia Tech has really only been successful when they were able to out talent everyone else. This is true pretty much continuously since they joined the ACC. Cremins was not a particularly great X's and O's coach, he just was able to get John Salley, Mark Price, Bruce Dalrymple, Kenny Anderson, Dennis Scott, Marbuy, etc to come to school at GT. Hewitt was good when he recruited a decade long pro (Jack) and surrounded him with well thought of college players like Muhammed and Elder.

If Pastner can keep 2 of the 4 best players in Georgia at Tech every year, they will win games even if he just rolls the ball out and lets them play.

__________ has really only been successful when they were able to out talent everyone else. This is true pretty much continuously since they joined the ACC. Cremins was not a particularly great X's and O's coach, he just was able to get John Salley, Mark Price, Bruce Dalrymple, Kenny Anderson, Dennis Scott, Marbuy, etc to come to school at GT. Hewitt was good when he recruited a decade long pro (Jack) and surrounded him with well thought of college players like Muhammed and Elder.

If Pastner can keep 2 of the 4 best players in Georgia at Tech every year, they will win games even if he just rolls the ball out and lets them play.

FIFY. In CBB, it's all about 'crootin.

I can't believe there is anyone who thinks Partner would be anything other than an absolute train wreck. That would actually be a worse hire than Bzzzz or Gregory, and I can't believe that's even possible.

lol stop. Pastner is a much better hire than [Redacted].

FIFY. In CBB, it's all about 'crootin.

Yet the same coaches make deep runs into the tournament every year.

They all (mostly) recruit well too, but their coaching has a ton to do with it. If it was all acquiring talent Memphis wouldn't have just gone 37-29 the past two years in an average-at-best conference, where his school has tons of recruiting advantages over the competition (unlike GT)

In my mind: Pastner > Manning > Gregory > BzD

But the next few years could cause Manning & Pastner to switch spots... Too early to know for sure.

Yet the same coaches make deep runs into the tournament every year.

They all (mostly) recruit well too, but their coaching has a ton to do with it. If it was all acquiring talent Memphis wouldn't have just gone 37-29 the past two years in an average-at-best conference, where his school has tons of recruiting advantages over the competition (unlike GT)

Even coach k was in a slump before he started getting blue chippers again. It's all about talent.

lol stop. Pastner is a much better hire than [Redacted].

His players absolutely hate his guts (7 of his last 11 recruits have transferred out of his program ... and the one who stayed wrecked him in the press), and it's severely impacted his recruiting ... which is the only he had to hang his hat on in the first place. He's not going to be able to hire players fathers as coaches to get them (the only major recruits he's had the last 2 years came this way). He's terrible with the press and the fanbase, and his on court product stinks to high heaven (partly because his players fucking hate him, so they don't even play hard).

GT basketball is already absolutely dead, so it's harder to get deader than dead ... this just means that the Lazarus moment won't come for at least another 4 years.

Quotes from Shaq Goodwin ... Pastner's big time recruit from Atlanta 4 years ago:

Q: How is your relationship with Josh?

A: It is bittersweet.

Q: What does that mean?

A: It's bittersweet, for one, because I know I can't speak too much or I won't have a career. (Goodwin laughs). That's for one. It's just, it's up and down.

Q: So it never leveled out, even by your senior year? Where you knew where he was coming from and he knew where you were coming from?

A: Part of me having my best season yet at Memphis (as a senior this year), a part of it was having a better relationship with coach Pastner. If I didn't, I knew I would have another (bad) season like I did the year before. Then, I watched players, people I was close with like Damien (Wilson), watched Damien leave and I didn't understand it. Like, why? Then I watched Austin (Nichols) leave and it was just like, 'What really is the reason? Should I leave?' After I realized that I was gonna stay, I knew I had to have a relationship with him. I gotta make something work. If I don't, nobody will. And then I got 14 people watching me. That's another thing I had to get adjusted to.

Q: Do you love him? Should players love their coaches?

A: I can say I love him because if I didn't I would've left. So I definitely care about him.

Q: Would you run through a brick wall for him?

A: I'd run through a brick wall for him. I feel like whatever leader you have should definitely be 10-toes behind the head coach. I believe in respect the traditional way, you know what I'm saying? I'm gonna ride with him regardless. But still, it's bittersweet because I've still got this stuff on my mind. I've still got the fact that you sat me on the bench last year when I was struggling. When I needed an extra push, I got pulled. So I feel like the bitter part just came with him not trusting and not believing in me. Like, point-blank simple.

That stuff has made it out now over a period of several years - he's poisoned a ton of recruiting wells. Shaq Goodwin played AAU ball for the Atlanta Celtics (national powerhouse / Dwight Howard / etc) ... if you think they aren't going to remember what Pastner did with one of their previous players, you are insane. The idea that he's going to come into Atlanta and suddenly recruit the area well is fucking lunacy. He might recruit better than Gregory, but a blind hound dog with one working ear would recruit better than Gregory did ... he's not going to turn around the program with a series of star players or anything though, and if he does land a big recruit or two they will be spilling their guts about how much they hate him or transferring out, so what does it matter?

Last edited:
I thought Bobinski would be capable of making a good basketball hire since Xavier always was great at finding the next big thing. It seems I was mistaken

The link to the Memphis boards was funny. Thanks for that.

But they are delusional if they think Marshall or Miller will come to Memphis. And an invite to join the Big 12? Is that really possible?

Interesting how many fan-bases hate their basketball coach, and are thrilled to see him leave.

The link to the Memphis boards was funny. Thanks for that.

But they are delusional if they think Marshall or Miller will come to Memphis. And an invite to join the Big 12? Is that really possible?

Yes. They are very publicly pushing for B12 membership. Having a good basketball and football program make them attractive.

Dedric Lawson literally just now announced he's coming back to Memphis for his sophomore season instead of going to the NBA as a 2nd round pick or possibly transferring, lol. FML what a fucking comically disastrous hire we just made.

Even coach k was in a slump before he started getting blue chippers again. It's all about talent.

K can thank Capel for that. How many one and domes did K have before Capel joined his staff, two or three?

I can't believe there is anyone who thinks Partner would be anything other than an absolute train wreck. That would actually be a worse hire than Bzzzz or Gregory, and I can't believe that's even possible.

Nope, bruh. You can't come around here and say anything is worse than Bz. First, because it's not true, and second, because fuck that guy.

Again, Pastner is Coach K compared to [Redacted].

Back