• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2016 Basketball Coaching Carousel

Feel obliged to add that Pastner never mentioned that he wants to "cut down nets." Not even once.

So chalk one up for Manning on that front, I guess. Because I feel like Manning made reference to "cutting down nets" at least 73 times in his first few days as WFU coach. That's just a rough estimate, though.

Some actual Wake related news. Joe Dooley the head coach for Florida Gulf Coast has been offered an assistant coaching job at NC State.

The beat writer for Florida Gulf Coast at the Naple News had this to say.

Why would the FGCU head coach take an ACC assistant position?

Dooley was the head coach of ECU for 4 years in the late 1990s when he was very young for a head coach (late 20s/early 30s). Dooley does have a connection to DM, as after ECU fired him Dooley landed as an assistant coach at Kansas under Self for 10 years before taking the FGCU head job. He obviously knows DM very well.

I do have to say it sucks if Lutz moving to GT costs us a shot at adding Dooley to our staff. That would have been a nice pick up.

Hell, I'd have been happier with Lutz as GT's head coach than Pastner. Maybe he can basically be the HC and Pastner just does some press conferences now and then and basically fucks off in between.

You do not want that sawed off runt running your basketball team.

He can make more money as a top assistant in the ACC than he can as the head coach at Florida Gulf Coast.

This article explains it better than I did.

http://www.news-press.com/story/spo...t-leave-fgcu-nc-state-assistant-job/82937924/

Pretty interesting quote from the article:

"FGCU, for one thing, couldn’t get former junior college signee Jonathan Milligan admitted last fall, only for Pitt to sign him days after his admission to FGCU was denied in August."

Wake doesn't even deal in Jucos, let alone admitting the type of student that couldn't even get into FGCU. I'm only pointing this out to note the types of standards a Wake coach deals with even against programs like Pitt.

I don't get the Wake reference in the Dana Caldwell tweet. What am I missing?

as i understand it it means joe dooley was also offered an assistant coaching job at wake

I don't get the Wake reference in the Dana Caldwell tweet. What am I missing?

There are a lot of rumors going around Florida Gulf Coast that Manning was considering bringing Dooley onboard as an assistant. I've not seen anything that indicated he had a firm offer from Wake.

Last edited:
Dooley would actually hoop at the Greenville Athletic club sometimes. (I think this was before he was actually coach).

NC State already hired a well regarded assistant from Oklahoma State a couple weeks ago. They're really shaking up their staff.

Back