• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2016 Basketball Coaching Carousel

As of March 2016 TCU is a much better job than Wake.

More money, a national brand, incredibly fertile recruiting area, and easier admission requirements. And an Athletic Dept that is committed to winning and not just naming buildings after themselves and their rich buddies.

I think y'all underestimate just how irrelevant Wake is outside of the Carolinas. With our only advantage (NBA alumni) becoming increasingly less impactful by the year.

Wake is now a bottom level P5/BCS/whatever job now. And only attracts recruits who are diamonds in the rough or aren't good enough to play at most other ACC schools. What kid wants to go play in a half empty (if they're lucky) arena at a school where the students don't care and the local fan base is dwindling. The recent player turnover rate is also ridiculous and demonstrates how poisoned the program is. That can't be attractive. Sure it's a fine degree but how many basketball recruits really care about that. Especially when there are comparable academic programs out there who don't possess Wake's long list of negatives.

Wake's only shot is hiring a charismatic up-and-coming coach that can sell recruits on his personality and his style of basketball. And hope he gets you to a Sweet 16 before he leaves for a better job. A coach that RW would never hire because he would have to cede too much control and his brashness would upset the blue hairs that fund this junket.

Wake basketball is dead.

But will be revitalized in 5 years when Chris Paul takes over as head coach.

Any school that doesn't have a fucking moron running the athletic department is a better job until the aforementioned fucking moron is fired.

This. We are radioactive until he (or admin at large) is gone.

Anything else about the relative strength of the school/program is irrelevant until that happens.

Think it's become obvious that no high-quality coach or hot prospect would want to work for him.

Hence the flyer on DM, who was relatively unproven. His best asset so far is that he is well-respected in bb community and has credibility there, where RW has none left.

Truth - Let RJ announce.

As of March 2016 TCU is a much better job than Wake.

More money, a national brand, incredibly fertile recruiting area, and easier admission requirements. And an Athletic Dept that is committed to winning and not just naming buildings after themselves and their rich buddies.

I think y'all underestimate just how irrelevant Wake is outside of the Carolinas. With our only advantage (NBA alumni) becoming increasingly less impactful by the year.

Wake is now a bottom level P5/BCS/whatever job now. And only attracts recruits who are diamonds in the rough or aren't good enough to play at most other ACC schools. What kid wants to go play in a half empty (if they're lucky) arena at a school where the students don't care and the local fan base is dwindling. The recent player turnover rate is also ridiculous and demonstrates how poisoned the program is. That can't be attractive. Sure it's a fine degree but how many basketball recruits really care about that. Especially when there are comparable academic programs out there who don't possess Wake's long list of negatives.

Wake's only shot is hiring a charismatic up-and-coming coach that can sell recruits on his personality and his style of basketball. And hope he gets you to a Sweet 16 before he leaves for a better job. A coach that RW would never hire because he would have to cede too much control and his brashness would upset the blue hairs that fund this junket.

Wake basketball is dead.

This is dumb. Jeff Goodman went on national TV yesterday saying while TX has a lot of good talent, none of it ever ends up at TCU. And he doesn't see how Jamie Dixon is going to flip the script when everyone in front of him has failed.

Goodman is one of the most well connected journalists in the CBB media game, but his opinions have become increasingly stupid.

Dixon will do well at TCU.

Despite the epic choke-job against A&M, Ben Jacobson would be a good hire for a P5 program.

So, who makes the NCAAT first? Wake or TCU? The Big 12 had 7/10 teams make the tournament, so Dixon just needs to jump a few schools to get there.

Pitt is a perennial underachiever. They don't finish. I'm not sure if that's a Jamie Dixon problem, or an institutional one. I think it's institutional, because you see it in their football games too. It's like you can just easily see them not getting the job done. So easy to pick Wisconsin this year. No shocker that Pitt was the only ACC team not to win. I don't think Jamie Dixon was a forceful enough personality to overcome this problem. I can't imagine he will have much success at TCU.

This is reminiscent of another program I know of.

TCU is not a more attractive basketball program than WF. Not close.

Not pumping WF at all (not disputing that the WF program has fallen and can't get up), but TCU is off of the grid when it comes to basketball. They have made the NCAAs twice in the 45 years, and they aren't even the best basketball program in their own metropolitan area (SMU); btw, TCU is located in a metropolitan area (Dallas/Ft. Worth) where college sports, particularly college basketball, take a back seat to pro sports. There are at least 6 clearly better programs in the State of Texas (Texas, A&M, Baylor, Texas Tech, SMU, Houston) right now. Also, TCU has a tiny following in football (their stadium seats 40K, and they don't sell it out when they are a top 10 program). The TCU hoop program has no present and no past. Dixon was interested because he was an alum, and they offered big bucks. Doubt TCU ever makes a dent in the college basketball landscape.

We are all having morbid fun commiserating over the state of the basketball program, but the WF program does have a significant history, and a fanbase that would jump back in at a sign of life.

TCU is not a more attractive basketball program than WF. Not close.

Not pumping WF at all (not disputing that the WF program has fallen and can't get up), but TCU is off of the grid when it comes to basketball. They have made the NCAAs twice in the 45 years, and they aren't even the best basketball program in their own metropolitan area (SMU); btw, TCU is located in a metropolitan area (Dallas/Ft. Worth) where college sports, particularly college basketball, take a back seat to pro sports. There are at least 6 clearly better programs in the State of Texas (Texas, A&M, Baylor, Texas Tech, SMU, Houston) right now. Also, TCU has a tiny following in football (their stadium seats 40K, and they don't sell it out when they are a top 10 program). The TCU hoop program has no present and no past. Dixon was interested because he was an alum, and they offered big bucks. Doubt TCU ever makes a dent in the college basketball landscape.

We are all having morbid fun commiserating over the state of the basketball program, but the WF program does have a significant history, and a fanbase that would jump back in at a sign of life.

Nah... other sports take a backseat to football, but rest assured that college football is much more popular in the metro than the Mavericks or Rangers are.

But that's an aside. I agree with the bigger point. It's absurd to say that TCU is a better job than Wake Forest. Yes, we suck right now, but so does TCU. At least we have history.

Last edited:
We really need more input from Brasky on this Texas thing.

Archie Miller has agreed to a contract extension at Dayton.

He seems to be following the strategy laid out by Shaka Smart when it comes to job openings.

Mick Cronin may be the top candidate for UNLV.

Isn't Cronin a Cinci native and a Cincinnati alum? Kind of weird he would want to leave a program where he's won 22+ games the past six seasons. I know he's been pushing for facilities upgrades, but it seems like the Cincinnati gig is still much better than UNLV.

I mean, I guess if they're going to throw enough money at him it makes sense.

Is it possible he's feeling some heat? He's done a nice job there, but has only made it past the first weekend once in 10 seasons.

Is it possible he's feeling some heat? He's done a nice job there, but has only made it past the first weekend once in 10 seasons.

I know a guy who can take them to the next level.

940x.jpg

Back