• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2016 Basketball Coaching Carousel

Yeah. I don't get the Stallings move at all. Pitt fans can't be thrilled with this one.

Dude had the most talented team of his career and he lost in the first four. The first four shouldn't even exist.

Great hire, Pitt!

I still like the idea of Pat Kelsey at some point down the road (post-Wellman of course due to imaginary "culture" issues).

Always a bad sign when a coach takes a new job, and a large portion of the fans from the coach's former school are thrilled.

Stallings is not likable. At Vandy, Stallings relied on a lot of recruits that out-performed their rankings. That may work in the SEC, recipe for disaster in the ACC.

Stallings also told a player "I'll kill you" during a heated exchange.... So there's that.

Edited to add: The exact words were "I'll fucking kill you." Said to Wade Baldwin. Sounds like a good dude.

Kevin Stallings is an awful coach. Pitt is about to go the way of Wake and GT.

Define "awful"?

It's no upgrade from Dixon but he's a better coach than Gottfried, Manning, Hamilton, Brownell, Christian, and Gregory (RIP).

After missing on Cincy's Mick Cronin, UNLV has hired Little Rock coach Chris Beard. Beard has one year of experience as a D-1 head coach -- this past season at UALR (30-5). Beard did not play college basketball; he was a student manager when Tom Penders at Texas, and worked his way up from there.

Always a bad sign when a coach takes a new job, and a large portion of the fans from the coach's former school are thrilled.

Stallings is not likable. At Vandy, Stallings relied on a lot of recruits that out-performed their rankings. That may work in the SEC, recipe for disaster in the ACC.
Vandy pushed Stallings out the door by basically telling him to find another job. This way they didn't have to pay a buy-out and he didn't get fired.

Yeah. I don't get the Stallings move at all. Pitt fans can't be thrilled with this one.
http://sportsblogs.post-gazette.com...Ride-Ends-Stallings-Hired-News-and-Notes.html

Well, the conspiracy of cronyism and the questionable ethics of search firms for college searches …

The search firm that was used was Collegiate Sports Athletics and the CEO is Todd Turner, who used to be the athletic director at Vanderbilt and also at Washington.

Turner hired Stallings at Vanderbilt in 1999, Stallings was a client of the search firm and Barnes was Turner’s deputy athletic director at Washington from 2005-08.

So there is a legit question of whether this was a case of an “old buddies network” scratching each other’s back or if Barnes really had Stallings in mind from the start of the search.

I mean, if Vandy was on the verge of firing Stallings – and Barnes had struck out with a few candidates – could Turner have said to Vandy “I have a solution” to Stallings “I have a solution” and to Barnes “I have a solution” to make this work?

http://sportsblogs.post-gazette.com...Ride-Ends-Stallings-Hired-News-and-Notes.html

Well, the conspiracy of cronyism and the questionable ethics of search firms for college searches …

The search firm that was used was Collegiate Sports Athletics and the CEO is Todd Turner, who used to be the athletic director at Vanderbilt and also at Washington.

Turner hired Stallings at Vanderbilt in 1999, Stallings was a client of the search firm and Barnes was Turner’s deputy athletic director at Washington from 2005-08.

So there is a legit question of whether this was a case of an “old buddies network” scratching each other’s back or if Barnes really had Stallings in mind from the start of the search.

I mean, if Vandy was on the verge of firing Stallings – and Barnes had struck out with a few candidates – could Turner have said to Vandy “I have a solution” to Stallings “I have a solution” and to Barnes “I have a solution” to make this work?

Todd Turner is responsible for a lot of athletic department downturns. Turner's AD style is equivalent to Nero fiddling while Rome burned.

Todd Turner is responsible for a lot of athletic department downturns. Turner's AD style is equivalent to Nero fiddling while Rome burned.

Even without the obvious conflict of interest, amazing that anyone would pay Todd Turner to lead their search for a new coach.

GT has also reached out to Jay Larranaga. He's Jim Larranaga's son and is currently an assistant for the Celtics with Brad Stevens.

Rutgers paid a coach-search firm $135K + expenses for the football and basketball coaching searches which resulted in hiring Ohio State assistant Chris Ash in football and Stony Brook Coach Steve Pickiell. The basketball program first offered the job to Danny Hurley (URI) and Mike Lonergan (GW) both turned the job down despite Rutgers offer of a significant pay raise.

Linky: http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index.ssf/2016/03/what_rutgers_paid_eastman_beaudine_for_coaching_se.html#incart_river_index

Will Wade's contract with VCU has been extended through the 2024 season. That likely takes him out of the running for Vanderbilt.

Back