• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2016 Basketball Coaching Carousel

Julius Hodge never struck me as one of those cerebral players you'd later want on your coaching staff. He had plenty of athleticism and ability, so if he had an in depth understanding of basketball, he probably would have lasted longer than 2 seasons in the NBA.

welp, you certainly don't know basketball

welp, you certainly don't know basketball

Either that, or like Uncaboref mentioned, I forgot the fact that he was almost shot to death his rookie year. Whoops.

If you want to debate his athleticism, then that's another story.

Last edited:
Rumor is that GT is focused on Bryce Drew (coach of Valpo), and they are waiting for the NIT Final.

Either that, or like Uncaboref mentioned, I forgot the fact that he was almost shot to death his rookie year. Whoops.

If you want to debate his athleticism, then that's another story.

Dude he had a 29" max vert predraft. He was a good college athlete but definitely a minus pro one.

right, and his success was based on his understanding of basketball. crafty as you already said.

levine is an example of somebody who is a superb athlete who doesn't know how to play yet. hodge was the opposite.

Hodge was an all-time crafty player. He baited one of the great PGs of all-time into doing something stupid that got him suspended for the next game against Hodge's team.

right, and his success was based on his understanding of basketball. crafty as you already said.

levine is an example of somebody who is a superb athlete who doesn't know how to play yet. hodge was the opposite.

He was just as "crafty" after he got shot as he was before he got shot. What getting shot will do to you is put a dent in your athleticism.

And for the record, I never said he was an exceptional athlete for the NBA. I simply said he had plenty of athleticism to be successful in the NBA. His "craftiness" made him exceptional.

The last thing I really want to do is get into a board argument that critiques the mental or physical prowess of Julius Hodge. Who knows what would have happened to him if he didn't get shot. I'm sure it has been discussed ad-nauseam on packpride. I haven't followed his career since he stopped playing. All I will say is that I wouldn't want the college version of Julius Hodge on Wake's sidelines teaching our players how to be "crafty."

All of this did lead me to find this amusing 2006 article from the onion though:

http://www.theonion.com/article/nba-praises-julius-hodge-for-getting-shot-in-non-c-5251

Last edited:
You're giving the nonsense ninja a run for his money.

Jeff Capel has withdrawn his name from contention for the Georgia Tech job. Bryce Drew is expected to be announced as the new Tech coach this week.

Good for them.

Really don't think you could realistically do much better if you're GT.

Bryce Drew... I still remember nailing my girlfriend when he made that buzzer beater. Right in the hole.

Jeff Capel has withdrawn his name from contention for the Georgia Tech job. Bryce Drew is expected to be announced as the new Tech coach this week.

Drew is headed to Nashville.

Another thing worth noting: Valpo junior Alec Peters has a chance to graduate early and become a graduate transfer, sources told CBS Sports. So he could, in theory, follow Drew to Vanderbilt (or explore other options) and be eligible immediately. The 6-foot-9 forward averaged 18.4 points and 8.5 rebounds this season.

Back