• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2016 MLB Season Thread (Nats Blow It Again)

Seems like an awful trade for the Dodgers, to say the least. Wasn't Kershaw already pissed at them letting Greinke walk? How much more likely is he to opt out in 2018 now?

Yeah, the on field performance upgrade for a backup catcher doesn't really seem like enough to be worth the clubhouse shakeup. Those dudes love AJ Ellis.

On the bright side, Chutley and Chooch back together!

IIRC, the Phillies have chump change committed to their roster long-term. They could back the Brinks truck up to Kershaw if he opts out and still go after an impact bat.

Although that means they'd have to hang onto Ellis and dump Rupp and/or C prospects.

I would be shocked if Kershaw decided to opt out just because AJ Ellis is no longer on the team and then also follow him wherever he is. Ellis was going to be off the team next year anyway.

If you have the opportunity to watch a game against the Dodgers do so. Vin Scully is in his 67th and final season as the announcer for the Dodgers. I have learned more about the people who play for the Cubs listening to Scully tonight than in all previous broadcasts combined. "He has forgotten more about the game than you will ever know" is not an exaggeration. In a class all by himself.

If you have the opportunity to watch a game against the Dodgers do so. Vin Scully is in his 67th and final season as the announcer for the Dodgers. I have learned more about the people who play for the Cubs listening to Scully tonight than in all previous broadcasts combined. "He has forgotten more about the game than you will ever know" is not an exaggeration. In a class all by himself.

MLBN has done a decent job of carrying a bunch of Dodgers home games this year, where they pick up the Scully feed. It's been great.

Seems like an awful trade for the Dodgers, to say the least. Wasn't Kershaw already pissed at them letting Greinke walk? How much more likely is he to opt out in 2018 now?

They didn't let Greinke "walk". He did that on his own because LA would not include a 6th year in the deal which would have been an extra 35 mil and the age of 38. Hope Zach is enjoying Phoenix as the D-backs even with him blow. I say we really could have used him, but we are getting a lot of contributions from the youngsters so we may have just saved ourselves 200 million.

Every rebuilding team in the National League is doing something right

huzzah!

Edit: more Grant Brisbee

The best baseball stories of 2016 (so far)

Featuring Steven Wright's knuckleball

Look at this pitch:

wright-knuckle.gif

No one has any idea where it’s going. Not Chris Davis. Not the catcher. Not the fans. And certainly not Wright. Finally, a true knuckleballer has arrived, someone who deceives the world with a lazy, deliberate motion, throws a traditional knuckler, and leaves everything to the volcano god of physics.

Last edited:
All year I think the Rangers are winning with smoke and mirrors. At some point I guess they deserve credit for the best AL record.

They are 29-8 in 1 run games. Their overall run differential is only +5.

I was going to make a dumb joke about the Rangers leading the AL in pitcher home runs, but apparently the White Sox have one too. Thanks for nothing, White Sox!

All year I think the Rangers are winning with smoke and mirrors. At some point I guess they deserve credit for the best AL record.

They are 29-8 in 1 run games. Their overall run differential is only +5.

I think the Rangers are just really damn good. The Beltran and Lucroy moves were solid, in terms of an all-in strategy - there's no reason to think they can't win the WS, let alone the pennant.

The Rangers could really use 1 maybe 2 more pitchers - assuming Yu continues to come back and be Yu, they have a pretty solid top 2, but basically nothing after that. And thats assuming Yu stays healthy. I would think they will have a tough time out hitting the Sox, Os or Jays if they run up against them.

I intensely dislike the Dodgers but listening to Vin is one of the true joys in life. It's like he's conducting the game. He so loves every aspect of baseball from the great plays to a baby sleeping on mom's shoulder that you know you are there with him.

It's even more amazing in that even in his late 80s he does play-by-play and color and he never misses a beat.

In some ways, he's the Skip Prosser of baseball. They each love everyone and you can feel it.

The Rangers could really use 1 maybe 2 more pitchers - assuming Yu continues to come back and be Yu, they have a pretty solid top 2, but basically nothing after that. And thats assuming Yu stays healthy. I would think they will have a tough time out hitting the Sox, Os or Jays if they run up against them.

Holland has been solid in two starts since IR. Colby Lewis makes a rehab start tonight. We'll see.

Darvish and Hamels are WS champ caliber #1 and #2 starters. The question for the Rangers is their bullpen. It cost them the Blue Jays series last year. KC had the best bullpen over the last two years, and they went 6-1 in post-season matchups.

where the eff is smallsamplesizedeac when you need him?

Another 1 run win for Rangers. At some point it is luck anymore. Being able to battle through a bad start by Hamels is huge with King Felix tomorrow.

Zomg paging apetit. Phan's boy bex demoted for not hustling and costing the Rays a run. Probably cause he's so fat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another 1 run win for Rangers. At some point it is luck anymore. Being able to battle through a bad start by Hamels is huge with King Felix tomorrow.

Best record ever percentage-wise in 1 run games. The Rangers have some magical mojo going on this year. With Holland's resurgence the last 2 starts, Martin Perez being solid overall, and Colby Lewis on his way back from injury I feel pretty good about the starters going forward. Adrian Beltre is a beast and the heart of their team. I'm very bullish. GM Jon Daniels has made some tremendous moves this year.

Back