• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Volleyball Coach Abusive?

If any of this is true, and why wouldn't it be, I am struggling to see why wake should employ this guy for another day. I mean, he could be fired off of performance alone

Only possible argument for keeping Wellman is if all you care about are facilities, tennis, or soccer. Otherwise, he just has negative results, in terms of win-loss record and culture.

Weak leader. Awful representative.

This guy obviously doesn't represent the university in the manner that we deserve. He should have been fired a long time ago. Murczek should be gone too....

Again, so it cannot be forgotten since, you know, it happened in the past.

"Wellman told the OGB that he’s pleased about the direction of the team and that all of the issues with the team had been addressed. 'Talking about the past isn’t going to do any good,' he said. 'We’ve moved on. This year’s team is much different.'

We can (sort of) debate how good Wellman is a directing athletics. But he is unquestionably the worst I've ever seen at the interview. He thinks he can just spit out some patronizing bullshit and be done with it. How people of influence at WFU can read Wellman's press quotes and not have their heads explode is a mystery to me. It's also probably why we are in the situation we're in.

So Hatch is going to conduct an internal investigation? Lol yeah, I'm sure that will solve the matter. Like one parent said, "That would be pointless."

That a helluva job by the OGB to get that information/write that type of article. Good stuff.

That investigation by Hatch is not going to lead to good things for anybody related to the administration and the AD.

They need to just fire the volleyball coach and move on.

Probably could not have handled the matter any worse.

That a helluva job by the OGB to get that information/write that type of article. Good stuff.

That investigation by Hatch is not going to lead to good things for anybody related to the administration and the AD.

This can't be stressed enough.

"Players also shared with the OGB physical copies of a packet that the athletic department handed out while HBO investigated complaints of abuse on the team in 2014. The packet included an article from 2002 describing a man who posed as a journalist to physically assault and rape female athletes.

Team members say the article was distributed to discourage them from speaking to the media."

Comports pretty comfortably with what the AD's consistent view on media has been over the years.

Just give them time and I think they will prove you wrong.

Only possible argument for keeping Wellman is if all you care about are facilities, tennis, or soccer. Otherwise, he just has negative results, in terms of win-loss record and culture.

Weak leader. Awful representative.
Wellman's hires have been so terrible going back several decades. Except for some great Jim Grobe years, a few good Skip years and getting the Tower built, how does he stay? Our football, basketball & women's basketball are going to work out I think if the administration will help some, but come on now--Caldwell and his 8 year track record, buzz, firing Dino with a 61-31 record, some terrible baseball years with only 1 NCAA appearance in 12 years. Bad track hiring with Bennett. Sure there are arguments both ways with even hiring Dino--get it but the record itself was stellar in comparison. Soccer coach left. I just don't get what is keeping him here. Donations from tennis aside of course.

Again, so it cannot be forgotten since, you know, it happened in the past.

"Wellman told the OGB that he’s pleased about the direction of the team and that all of the issues with the team had been addressed. 'Talking about the past isn’t going to do any good,' he said. 'We’ve moved on. This year’s team is much different.'

We can (sort of) debate how good Wellman is a directing athletics. But he is unquestionably the worst I've ever seen at the interview. He thinks he can just spit out some patronizing bullshit and be done with it. How people of influence at WFU can read Wellman's press quotes and not have their heads explode is a mystery to me. It's also probably why we are in the situation we're in.

I'm having flashbacks to his post-loss/post-game radio interviews in Bz's first two years.

His interview after the suspensions late in this season was another doozy.

It's been said many times, many ways... but I truly do not understand, at this point, how people justify continuing to cut checks to an athletic department that pays Ron Wellman's salary.

Wellman's hires have been so terrible going back several decades. Except for some great Jim Grobe years, a few good Skip years and getting the Tower built, how does he stay? Our football, basketball & women's basketball are going to work out I think if the administration will help some, but come on now--Caldwell and his 8 year track record, buzz, firing Dino with a 61-31 record, some terrible baseball years with only 1 NCAA appearance in 12 years. Bad track hiring with Bennett. Sure there are arguments both ways with even hiring Dino--get it but the record itself was stellar in comparison. Soccer coach left. I just don't get what is keeping him here. Donations from tennis aside of course.

And how much money has been spent on baseball over that time? Millions. Nothing to show for it except for a shiny, usually empty baseball stadium and plenty of free time in June.

If any of this is true, and why wouldn't it be, I am struggling to see why wake should employ this guy for another day. I mean, he could be fired off of performance alone

That's the crazy part to me. Assuming all of the allegations to be 100% false. At a minimum, this coach led a dysfunctional program that failed to represent the school well on or off the volleyball court. Regardless if the coach's transgressions are accurately reported, the program is going in the wrong direction. WF does a reasonably good job of producing lawyers, selecting legal counsel and you would think, drafting agreements with coaches that allow WF to deal with situations like this as seamlessly as possible. Bizarre to me that WF does not exercise its termination rights under his coaching contract and move in another direction.

It's been said many times, many ways... but I truly do not understand, at this point, how people justify continuing to cut checks to an athletic department that pays Ron Wellman's salary.

I belong to the Deacon Club and have season tickets for football and basketball because I enjoy going to the games, my family has a great time going to the games, I like supporting the student athletes, and I like supporting most of the coaches. My favorite Wake sports are basketball, football, men's soccer, and men's tennis. Football and basketball have obviously struggled recently, but soccer and tennis have been fantastic. Watching Wake at Spry last fall was absolutely awesome and I'm really looking forward to this fall. The men's tennis match at UNC this year was one of my favorite Wake sports moments.

That doesn't justify cutting checks to pay Wellman. That's four sports.

Back