• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Volleyball Coach Abusive?

Are you trying to defend Wellman?

No. Another poster wrote, "I truly do not understand, at this point, how people justify continuing to cut checks to an athletic department that pays Ron Wellman's salary." I then explained why I belong to the Deacon Club and buy season tickets, after which Ph made a series of bizarre and factually incorrect statements and I followed him down the rabbit hole.

No. Another poster wrote, "I truly do not understand, at this point, how people justify continuing to cut checks to an athletic department that pays Ron Wellman's salary." I then explained why I belong to the Deacon Club and buy season tickets, after which Ph made a series of bizarre and factually incorrect statements and I followed him down the rabbit hole.

Ok, good, because Wellman is undeniably and quantitatively a looser and a douche bag.

I like supporting all the student athletes.

The best way to support student athletes is to withhold your money and demand a change in leadership. You're an enabler. Bad hires followed by bad hires. Attempts to bury scandals. Awful interactions with the media again and again. There's more than enough evidence now that nothing will change until the money dries up (remember all of the BS about how we were raising "record" amounts of money during the [name redacted] years?).

Last edited:
Starving the department of cash doesn't exactly help make Wake look like an attractive destination for a new AD anyway.

The best way to support student athletes is to withhold your money and demand a change in leadership. You're an enabler. Bad hires followed by bad hires. Attempts to bury scandals. Awful interactions with the media again and again. There's more than enough evidence now that nothing will change until the money dries up (remember all of the BS about how we were raising "record" amounts of money during the [name redacted] years?).

In November of 2013, I wrote this, "I think this is a mindset that is going to turn you off to Wake sports forever. One with this mindset might say, "No, I'll be happy when Bz is fired!" But I don't think that's true, because you'll still have RW making the next hire. Then you'll argue that you'll be happy once RW is gone, but that's also not true, because you'll still have Hatch to deal with. Then when Hatch is gone it will be the Board of Trustees that will be the focus of your ire. It's never ending. Flip it. Cheer for the Deacs. Have fun. It's college basketball after all..."

RacerDeac, you responded with this, "I disagree. It will end. When Buzz is gone AND a competent replacement is hired, I'll be back. If Wellman isn't gone, I'll still be upset at that, but I'll be excited about Wake Forest basketball again despite it."

Are you back? My sentiment still stands and I still have a great time going to Wake sporting events. As I wrote earlier, two of my all-time favorite memories occurred just this year (men's soccer season and men's tennis beating #1 UNC on the road). I like supporting the student athletes and most of the coaches and will continue to do so. Unfortunately, there will always be people associated with Wake that you won't like. It might be the President, a Dean, the AD, a physics professor, etc. It's the nature of having thousands of people associated with the university. Additionally, the university will also make bad decisions in the future, again, it's the nature of the beast. Just look down the road, Duke cleaned surgical equipment with elevator oil and supported a witch hunt against its lacrosse players, and UNC created a sham academic system to maintain athlete eligibility for decades. I would argue Wake's transgressions haven't been nearly as egregious, but Wake, like all schools, will undoubtedly have problems in the future. I will continue to support the school and student athletes unless there is a major change in the institutional philosophy with which I do not agree.

Here's that thread where we had the discussion back in 2013 http://www.ogboards.com/forums/show...me-tonight?highlight=rafi+wellman+hatch+board

Regardless of past decisions the AD has made that have been good/bad/debatable I think we can all coalesce behind the idea that this volleyball coach should be fired.

Maybe Hatch should tell Wellman to stop giving interviews with the media because he might get raped.

I've said this before and will repeat it...Every poster on OGBoards can withhold their donations/season ticket purchases until Wellman retires but it is not going to change a single thing. Wellman will retire when he wants to(within 2-3 seasons) and he's not going to be swayed either direction because birdman decides he doesn't want to give any money, or Racerdeac decides he's not gonna buy season tickets until something changes.

Not supporting the University we all love isn't going to help one single thing.

Me not shopping at Walmart because of how they treat their employees isn't going to really matter in the grand scheme of things either, but I elect to not spend my money there anyway.

RacerDeac, you responded with this, "I disagree. It will end. When Buzz is gone AND a competent replacement is hired, I'll be back. If Wellman isn't gone, I'll still be upset at that, but I'll be excited about Wake Forest basketball again despite it."

Are you back?

Nope. I tried to get excited about the hire, but the results quickly established that Wellman had failed again. Hard to see a positive outcome for Wake Forest basketball until the AD is cleaned from top to bottom at this point. Does that mean I'll never be happy? Nope, not at all. It just means that Wellman has now proven, beyond any doubt, that he's not qualified to turn this around.

Last edited:
Donut Dan raking leaves while he gets scooped by a college paper

Dan wrote one today but if you can't get anybody to talk to you about this and give you their name, telling you what is going on, then you really can't write an article. One has to have facts to write an article--period.

Dan wrote one today but if you can't get anybody to talk to you about this and give you their name, telling you what is going on, then you really can't write an article. One has to have facts to write an article--period.

The OG&B got people to talk.

Dear Deacon Club members,

As a member of the Deacon Club, I want you to know that we just met with the volleyball team to announce head coach Ken Murczek's resignation. As you can imagine, it was a difficult decision for Ken to make but he believes that it is in the best interests of the program for him to step aside.

Our search for a new head coach will start immediately. Assistant coach Lindsay Allman will serve as our interim head coach until a new head coach is announced. We will move as quickly as possible to find a new head coach but that timetable is unpredictable.

As a member of the Deacon Club, you undoubtedly have a vested interest in the status of our program. We value your interest and support. We have a bright future in volleyball. Being at the top of the ACC is a realistic goal for our program and we intend to reach that level of achievement.

I am convinced that a number of outstanding candidates will emerge for our job. I look forward to announcing our new coach to you and cheering for our team with you in the fall.

-Ron I don't do my job Well-man

Back