• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Big 5 conference money disparity could lead to a shake up with the Big 12

The SWC basically ceased to exist and 4 schools from that conference merged with the existing Big 8 to form the Big 12. For the ACC to cease existing, some big name schools would have to depart and leave schools like Wake, GT, VT, and UVA with their dinguses flopping in the wind.

Well, yes, ceased to exist by that name, dropped the other schools, picked up better schools and started another conference. Call it what you want but it is all the same thing. The SWC was made up of 7 schools from Texas and Arkansas and was a pretty good conference which ceased to exist in 1996. Florida State came to the ACC in 1991. Penn St joined the Big 10 in 1990.

All this could happen if & when ESPN quits paying the big revenue they are paying as their subscribers continues to fall or as the other conferences start their own secession from the NCAA and make their own form of NCAA basketball & football tournies and make their own rules--"he who has the gold, make the rules" and soon they could tire of the NCAA's thick & mindless rulebook. Plus possibly like letting schools like UNC do what they want and following no rules at all.

Well, yes, ceased to exist by that name, dropped the other schools, picked up better schools and started another conference. Call it what you want but it is all the same thing. The SWC was made up of 7 schools from Texas and Arkansas and was a pretty good conference which ceased to exist in 1996. Florida State came to the ACC in 1991. Penn St joined the Big 10 in 1990.

All this could happen if & when ESPN quits paying the big revenue they are paying as their subscribers continues to fall or as the other conferences start their own secession from the NCAA and make their own form of NCAA basketball & football tournies and make their own rules--"he who has the gold, make the rules" and soon they could tire of the NCAA's thick & mindless rulebook. Plus possibly like letting schools like UNC do what they want and following no rules at all.

You're still confused. The SWC did not become the Big 12. The Big 8 became the Big 12 by adding 4 SWC schools. The SWC then ceased to exist because it did not have the required 8 members. In order for the same thing to happen to Wake that happened to TCU, SMU, Houston, and Rice, the ACC would have to lose a net of 7 members. So, in other words, all of UNC, NCSU, UVA, FSU, Clemson, Georgia Tech, and Virginia Tech would have to leave with no new members joining. That seems pretty damn far fetched to me.

As long as the notion of athletic conferences exist, the ACC will be an athletic conference. It may not always be a "power conference", but it will exist.

And it's a problem if Wake isn't in a power conference.

Well the Texas way of thinking is that the SWC added the Big 8 and dropped most of their conference, but that's not the reality. The reality is that UT, aTm, Taco Tech, and Baylor (the last two being hangers-on with connections in the Texas state legislature) joined the Big 8 and the conference was renamed. Texas had driven off Arkansas with all their power playing and reduced one school to permanent godawful status (SMU) by getting them the death penalty for doing the same thing every other school in the SWC was doing. The SWC was the joke conference among all the major conferences. The Big 8 did not need those 4 schools so much as they needed the Big 8, but strengthened its hand and recruiting footprint for schools other than OU and NU by adding Texas schools.

It's really not.

Agreed.

Legit basketball programs exist in pretty much every conference, and we seem to be incapable of having a legit football program after using up all of our luck on that one team. I'd rather watch us actually compete with lower level teams than be a laughing stock. And, frankly, I don't like the obscene spending on football facilities. It just looks like misplaced priorities to me.

Agreed.

Legit basketball programs exist in pretty much every conference, and we seem to be incapable of having a legit football program after using up all of our luck on that one team. I'd rather watch us actually compete with lower level teams than be a laughing stock. And, frankly, I don't like the obscene spending on football facilities. It just looks like misplaced priorities to me.

Great post. Well said. The money WF is spending on football is obscene.

The SWC basically ceased to exist and 4 schools from that conference merged with the existing Big 8 to form the Big 12. For the ACC to cease existing, some big name schools would have to depart and leave schools like Wake, GT, VT, and UVA with their dinguses flopping in the wind.

I would be willing to see Wake Forest athletics reduced to a SoCon level, as long as Ga Tech falls just as far.

Agreed.

And here you have the WF mentality that explains why Wake fails at every revenue sport. No competitive desire among a large portion of the fanbase.

And here you have the WF mentality that explains why Wake fails at every revenue sport. No competitive desire among a large portion of the fanbase.

Or maybe I realize that there are more fruitful outlets for my competitive desire than Wake Forest football.

Texas greed and hubris pretty much did in the old Southwest conference. Arkansas pushed out/joined SEC. SMU killed and reduced to an afterthought. Then led the four "big" TX schools out of the SWC into joining the Big 8 which then renamed itself the Big 12. Situation is very different in the ACC. Also, ACC has multiple private schools who may be more willing to keep Wake around. If Wake a charter member) was kicked out of the ACC for being bad at sports, which of the privates would be next?? BC? Syracuse? Miami? Duke?

That is a far different dynamic than exists in the Big12.

Well the Texas way of thinking is that the SWC added the Big 8 and dropped most of their conference, but that's not the reality. The reality is that UT, aTm, Taco Tech, and Baylor (the last two being hangers-on with connections in the Texas state legislature) joined the Big 8 and the conference was renamed. Texas had driven off Arkansas with all their power playing and reduced one school to permanent godawful status (SMU) by getting them the death penalty for doing the same thing every other school in the SWC was doing. The SWC was the joke conference among all the major conferences. The Big 8 did not need those 4 schools so much as they needed the Big 8, but strengthened its hand and recruiting footprint for schools other than OU and NU by adding Texas schools.

A few clarifications:
-The SWC had eight Texas schools, not seven.
-I'm all for blaming UT, but the SMU boosters who hardly bothered to hide the payments despite already being on probation and the athletic department and school administration who were aware of the situation and didn't do anything deserve the blame. And the NCAA, Dale Hanson, WFAA, and the Times Herald, of course.
-And ELC is correct, the Big 8 added UT, TAMU, Tech, and Baylor; the SWC didn't drop UH, Rice, SMU, TCU and add the Big 8 schools. And Baylor only got the Big 12 invitation due to political arm twisting by Ann Richards. At the time, UH was considered a better candidate, but they didn't have the alumni network that could pull strings.

Of course, the conference never really recovered after Southwestern left around the turn of the century.

Back