• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wright Thompson Tiger Article

Yeah. But they shouldn't whine that he didn't either.

I don't know if I would call it whining - they're telling the story and shaking their heads. I don't blame them. That he wouldn't pick up that check shows his total lack of awareness of the real world.

It's not like that is an isolated incident. Tiger is a known cheapo. Hell, instead of taking his whores to dinner he got them subway sandwiches :rulz:

I don't know if I would call it whining - they're telling the story and shaking their heads. I don't blame them. That he wouldn't pick up that check shows his total lack of awareness of the real world.

Sorry but I don't think a grown ass man going out for dinner with other grown ass men should complain that another grown ass man didn't pick up the check unless there was an understood reciprocity from a prior meal.

It's like a gimme putt--you never complain if you have to make it but it's lame to make someone putt a kick in.

Hey guys, I appreciate you letting me come play army with you. Dinner and drinks on me is the least I can do to say thank you.

Similar story about Beckham when he joined the LA Galaxy and was making like 100x his teammates

I mean Beckham not buying what essentially amounts to his peer in another pro athletes dinner is completely different than Tiger not buying soldiers lunch, but maybe that's just me. The money differential is probably about the same but the Beckham thing doesn't rub me the wrong way.

Sorry but I don't think a grown ass man going out for dinner with other grown ass men should complain that another grown ass man didn't pick up the check unless there was an understood reciprocity from a prior meal.

Given that the article makes it appear that Tiger was using their equipment and shooting their ammunition without really paying for it, buying him dinner is the least he could do. If i'm remembering it correctly of course.

Given that the article makes it appear that Tiger was using their equipment and shooting their ammunition without really paying for it, buying him dinner is the least he could do. If i'm remembering it correctly of course.

"using their ammunition?" lol

There's no question it was absurd of Tiger - the point is that he's not a Michael Jordan style cheapskate asshole. He's just introverted and is routinely oblivious to how people think and act. He has no idea how he's perceived.

IMost of Thompson's article was very 'blah' to me. Including the quote from the Marine bitching (in insane fashion) about Tiger not picking up his dinner tab was amateur hour.

SEALs are not Marines.

There's no question it was absurd of Tiger - the point is that he's not a Michael Jordan style cheapskate asshole. He's just introverted and is routinely oblivious to how people think and act. He has no idea how he's perceived.

The bolded was mostly my point. I don't understand folks saying the marines shouldn't have been bitching about it. I sure would have. Tiger had taken up a bunch of their time, was picking their brains - basically asking them to do him a big favor - not to mention the fact that he was one of the richest dudes in the freaking world while they are making military pay - and he can't pick up a lunch check? That is just beyond weird. His dad would have been embarrassed.

"Tiger had taken up a bunch of their time"? Remind me of the context? How did the greatest golfer in the world force them to spend time with him?

How does any famous person annoy actual military people by taking up their time? Pretty common really. Also pretty common for it to piss off actual soldiers, but it's the price of having a volunteer fighting force.

"using their ammunition?" lol

Did they pay for it? No. Is there a limited supply of it? Yes. Are they the ones who actually live and die based on whether they train with it? Yes. They did the guy a favor, at their expense, whether in training time, training supplies, funding, or whatever else.

How does any famous person annoy actual military people by taking up their time? Pretty common really. Also pretty common for it to piss off actual soldiers, but it's the price of having a volunteer fighting force.

Were they ordered to spend time with him? Did they volunteer to spend time with him?

Were they ordered to spend time with him? Did they volunteer to spend time with him?

Uh, joining the military is voluntary. What you do with your day after that is not.

What the fuck are you even arguing, Ph? Tiger was a wannabe marine wasting their time, learning from them, picking their brains, playing at the fun parts of their job - generally being an annoying celebrity playing like he wanted to be a marine. He was also worth hundreds of millions of dollars. Meanwhile they are real marines, taking tours overseas, going through all the nasty parts of the training and spending their own precious time holding his hand. And probably living paycheck to paycheck. Does it matter that he was famous? Does that mean they should just be thankful to have been in his presence? Does it matter whether they volunteered for the assignment or were ordered to do it? Good lord... stretch out your fucking gator arms, Tiger, and pick up the damn check.

Either they're bitching about something they volunteered to do or bitching about their orders, scooter. Neither is particularly becoming of a SEAL.

Back