• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Mike Tirico Leaving ESPN for NBC

I do love me some Verne. He and GD are as good as it gets for me on Saturdays in the fall.

Well that sucks.

Actually, I don't know. He's like in his mid 70s and is probably just phasing down gradually. But it seemed an opportune time to respond to you with what is probably his most famous call.

From the department of useless trivia..... Verne Lundquist called one of the most famous, significant and memorable basketball games Wake Forest ever played on national television.

An easy thing to say when your parents aren't refugees from there

Just to be clear my comment was in response to Juice's.

I actually don't disagree much with Juice's stance but taking Le Batard to task for that when his parents went through a helluva lot in Cuba and to get to the U.S. -- and surely reminded him of that on a daily basis -- is silly. Put yourself in his shoes

This is going to happen with a lot of ESPN big names. Curious to see how he fits in NBC's NFL broadcasts.

Really like Tirico. But they better not mess with the Michaels / Collinsworth combination.

I heard on a Bill Simmons podcast that there were talks of those two needing to do all the SNF and half the Thursday night games. And that seemed like a bit much. Maybe Tirico gets in the booth for the Thursday games with someone else, and then he does some other stuff NBC picks up along the way.

Last edited:
Really like Tirico. But they better not mess with the Michaels / Collinsworth combination.

I heard on a Bill Simmons podcast that there were talks of those two needing to do all the SNF and half the Thursday night games. And that seemed like a bit much. Maybe Tirico gets in the booth for the Thursday games with someone else, and then he does some other stuff NBC picks up along the way.

Nantz and Simms did all the Thursday games plus a game on Sunday, so it's doable, unless Michaels is too old for that. But I think Tirico is gonna do Thursday for now before moving into the SNF chair. Will be interesting to see if he does both. He'll probably also be the day host for the Olympics with Costas in primetime. Or I could see Tirico as the lead Olympic basketball pbp man.

Back