• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Transfer Williams NOT coming to Wake?

He wouldn't have earned a degree right? In order to be a post grad you have to graduate from the former to play at the latter.

A graduate degree is still a degree, right? By playing at Wake, he would have had the chance to earn another degree, or part of a degree, rent-free.

I'm not sure what doesn't make sense. Our small forward position seriously underperformed this year. The plan to address that was to bring in Austin Arians and Matt Williams as grad transfers as a stop gap and then bring in better talent in the 2017 class. The staff was well on its way to doing that with Melo Eggleston's commitment and the recruits we're still pursuing in that class. Unfortunately, some of the other guards at UCF decided to transfer as well. So Dawkins was able to convince Williams that he would have loads of playing time and a guaranteed starting position if he stayed at UCF.

It sucks for our staff that he reneged on his commitment but everything was handled properly on their end.

This post should have ended the thread

This post should have ended the thread

Maybe, but this plus Isaac Haas is enough of a pattern to have me a little worried that our staff may not follow things all the way through once they get a verbal.

Edit: Poor memory. Think I was equating Chill for both, but that apparently wasn't right either.

Last edited:
Maybe, but this plus Isaac Haas is enough of a pattern to have me a little worried that our staff may not follow things all the way through once they get a verbal.

We fired that staff including the assistant responsible for recruiting Haas.

Haas was recruited by [Redacted] and Larue, right? Don't think his recruitment is at all related to this staff's ability to keep recruits once they've verballed.

Danny was coaching at Tulsa when this happened......

The conclusion that not getting a player is no big deal because we have an over abundance of talent will be much more meaningful when we are relevant in the college basketball world. Right now it sounds kind of dumb since we suck and have sucked for the last 6 years.

Last edited:
A graduate degree is still a degree, right? By playing at Wake, he would have had the chance to earn another degree, or part of a degree, rent-free.

But he can still get a graduate degree from UCF because he has graduated from undergrad and has to be in school to still be playing basketball, therefore he will still take part in getting a graduate degree rent free..

A grad transfer decommitted.

If you think there's nothing bad about that, then you're saying you think the staff offered and accepted a commitment from someone with no upside, which is worrisome. But, I don't think many people are saying that. I certainly disagree. I think it sucks. But, I don't see what's wrong with people pointing out that he was likely going to be a nice role player off the bench for us for a year, not a star. And because the decommitment came after most of the player's competition for minutes at his undergrad program left, I don't think it reflects much on our staff (unless Williams ends up going somewhere other than UCF). If anything, it's a sign that Wake basketball is not the draw we'd like it to be right now, which is a totally fair criticism of the program as a whole that I think few people would disagree with. Different people will have different opinions on to what extent blame for that can be placed at the current staff's feet, two years into the post-Bz era.

The thread title reads like "Transfer Williams" is his actual name.

The conclusion that not getting a player is no big deal because we have an over abundance of talent will be much more meaningful when we are relevant in the college basketball world. Right now it sounds kind of dumb since we suck and have sucked for the last 6 years.

No one said we had "an over abundance if talent". What has been said is that the combination of likely not starting at Wake and most of UCF's wing starters leaving led to him staying.

Those are very different things to say.

If you think that he would have received an actual degree from Wake then I have some John Kasich 4 President gear I need to send your way. He would have taken classes that kept him eligible and that is all. The post grad classes are meaningless. I think it stinks that he reversed course, and obviously our staff thought he could help, but what he did is understandable considering what happened to the UCF team after he chose Wake. In the end I don't think it will amount to much of a loss, as i didn't really see what he brought to the table that was significantly better than what we have, but our staff thought he was worthy, so it obviously is some sort of loss. I think they were looking to fill that scholly with a postgrad SF, and he was one of the best out there that we could get, but I don't imagine he was a real difference maker.

Now if we were to lose Arians that would be a massive loss for next year. He is going to play big minutes IMO. We need him to fill the gap because I don't think Washington is going to be ready for major minutes his freshman year and I am tired of playing SFs that can't shoot an open three (McClinton). I think Arians gets 25 minutes a game next year whereas I am not sure how many minutes Williams would have received. His game wasn't all that impressive to me. Perhaps the staff saw something that I didn't see. Who knows.

Last edited:
If you think that he would have received an actual degree from Wake then I have some John Kasich 4 President gear I need to send your way. He would have taken classes that kept him eligible and that is all. The post grad classes are meaningless. I think it stinks that he reversed course, and obviously our staff thought he could help, but what he did is understandable considering what happened to the UCF team after he chose Wake. In the end I don't think it will amount to much of a loss, as i didn't really see what he brought to the table that was significantly better than what we have, but our staff thought he was worthy, so it obviously is some sort of loss. I think they were looking to fill that scholly with a postgrad SF, and he was one of the best out there that we could get, but I don't imagine he was a real difference maker.

Now if we were to lose Arians that would be a massive loss for next year. He is going to play big minutes IMO. We need him to fill the gap because I don't think Washington is going to be ready for major minutes his freshman year and I am tired of playing SFs that can't shoot an open three (McClinton). I think Arians gets 25 minutes a game next year whereas I am not sure how many minutes Williams would have received. His game wasn't all that impressive to me. Perhaps the staff saw something that I didn't see. Who knows.

I think this is spot on.

I would like to see us get a 3, but it's almost surely too late.

But he can still get a graduate degree from UCF because he has graduated from undergrad and has to be in school to still be playing basketball, therefore he will still take part in getting a graduate degree rent free..

Wake > UCF

If you think that he would have received an actual degree from Wake then I have some John Kasich 4 President gear I need to send your way. He would have taken classes that kept him eligible and that is all. The post grad classes are meaningless.

Really? I assume a lot of these kids who aren't good enough to go Pro but have a year left of eligibility and some college bball experience actually appreciate the ability to work towards an advanced degree. It's not like the average grab transfer is sticking around in college to improve their draft pick.

But a lot of them will hope to play around the world in a non-NBA setting. A lot of money to be made. Increasing marketability and stock overseas is probably the end point for most of the grad transfers

Really? I assume a lot of these kids who aren't good enough to go Pro but have a year left of eligibility and some college bball experience actually appreciate the ability to work towards an advanced degree. It's not like the average grab transfer is sticking around in college to improve their draft pick.

You assumed wrong. They are transferring to increase the likelihood of a good overseas contract. In the vast majority of the cases, the decision to graduate and do a post grad transfer is completely about basketball. The motivation is rarely the educational benefit, it is a job interview for an overseas basketball contract.

You assumed wrong. They are transferring to increase the likelihood of a good overseas contract. In the vast majority of the cases, the decision to graduate and do a post grad transfer is completely about basketball. The motivation is rarely the educational benefit, it is a job interview for an overseas basketball contract.

Bingo!

If you aren't going to start and are likely to be the 6th or higher option, it's not a good interview for you.

Back