• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Transfer Williams NOT coming to Wake?

If you think that he would have received an actual degree from Wake then I have some John Kasich 4 President gear I need to send your way. He would have taken classes that kept him eligible and that is all. The post grad classes are meaningless. I think it stinks that he reversed course, and obviously our staff thought he could help, but what he did is understandable considering what happened to the UCF team after he chose Wake. In the end I don't think it will amount to much of a loss, as i didn't really see what he brought to the table that was significantly better than what we have, but our staff thought he was worthy, so it obviously is some sort of loss. I think they were looking to fill that scholly with a postgrad SF, and he was one of the best out there that we could get, but I don't imagine he was a real difference maker.

Now if we were to lose Arians that would be a massive loss for next year. He is going to play big minutes IMO. We need him to fill the gap because I don't think Washington is going to be ready for major minutes his freshman year and I am tired of playing SFs that can't shoot an open three (McClinton). I think Arians gets 25 minutes a game next year whereas I am not sure how many minutes Williams would have received. His game wasn't all that impressive to me. Perhaps the staff saw something that I didn't see. Who knows.

This is entirely inaccurate. I would assume that most post-grad transfers enter 1 year programs and receive a MALS or something similar. While the decision to transfer after graduation is certainly basketball motivated, these guys have already completed one degree and are aware that they will need a career post-basketball. Coron Williams received a degree from Wake, I expect Arians will and that Matt Williams would have.

That did make me wonder about Coron and Darius Leonard. I always just assumed they graduated but don't know if they actually did.

That did make me wonder about Coron and Darius Leonard. I always just assumed they graduated but don't know if they actually did.

I mean, let's not get too crazy here. MALS is like 30 hours of classes and mentions that it's for people who do not need career advancement but just like to learn as its target audience...

I mean, let's not get too crazy here. MALS is like 30 hours of classes and mentions that it's for people who do not need career advancement but just like to learn as its target audience...

Your point?

Your point?

Just that MALS is a cakewalk of a "degree" and is nothing like actually graduating from Wake Forest. It takes less than a standard business week of hours to complete. Leonard isn't listed as having even completed it. It has no career implications and includes stay-at-home Moms and retired 70-year-olds as targets for the program.

It's pretty much the definition of meaningless post-grad classes, so offering up Coron's degree as evidence that a post-grad transfer is in it for the education is laughable.

Just that MALS is a cakewalk of a "degree" and is nothing like actually graduating from Wake Forest. It takes less than a standard business week of hours to complete. Leonard isn't listed as having even completed it. It has no career implications and includes stay-at-home Moms and retired 70-year-olds as targets for the program.

It's pretty much the definition of meaningless post-grad classes, so offering up Coron's degree as evidence that a post-grad transfer is in it for the education is laughable.

A friend of mine got the MALS degree at Wake and parlayed it into a pay raise in high school teaching career. It may be an easy degree, but it can translate into career benefits for some people.

A friend of mine got the MALS degree at Wake and parlayed it into a pay raise in high school teaching career. It may be an easy degree, but it can translate into career benefits for some people.

I don't mean to bag on anyone that pursues it - that language comes from the site itself. You sure it wasn't the other version of the program that actually had a thesis and is targeted for career folks?

This is the bottom line on Williams:

He was a role player (actually according to kenpom: he was a "limited role player") on a bad UCF team (12-18/6-12) in a bad conference.

While it's true that the staff was willing to offer him a one-year ship (which they apparently will not otherwise use; so, WF had nothing to lose by offering Williams the last ship), so, the staff must have thought that there was some chance that Williams could contribute. With that said, given his background and limited production against lesser competition, the chances that Williams' decision to stay at UCF will have any impact on WF 2016-7 season are very remote. Realize that we are all looking for material to banter about right now, but WF will be the same team next year with or without Williams.

I don't mean to bag on anyone that pursues it - that language comes from the site itself. You sure it wasn't the other version of the program that actually had a thesis and is targeted for career folks?

Not sure. You may be right.

Well, I am not sure anyone was saying these kids were great scholars seeking the meaning of life. But, a poster above did say that Coron received an MA in management, which I assume is different from the MALS that you are so impressed by.

Good God people. This guy is a bit player. He sucks. Would have been a taller replacement for Rondale. He would not have made Wake Forest Great Again all by himself.

Coron has played in 39 D League games this year. Not sure why I find that impressive, as it probably is not.

Why would any club spend money on developing Coron Williams ? I guess they need players to fill out the roster.

Back