• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Transfer Williams NOT coming to Wake?

Ish, I would not have been surprised if by New Year's one or both of the frosh wings hadn't passed Williams. He was the 4th/5th option on a bad UCF team and was pure filler for Wake.
It's amazing how much you only look at one side of the game. Lol at the idea of one of the freshmen being able to guard ACC wings.

It's amazing how much you only look at one side of the game. Lol at the idea of one of the freshmen being able to guard ACC wings.

And I think the frosh could be as good as on D as Williams. This guy was not that good on a bad team, in a mediocre conference.

The LOL is you immediately assuming something I never said and that our frosh can't play D.

So what is the argument about again?

I'm not sure rj realizes it but the more he trashes Williams, the more it becomes apparent Wake's program is in shambles under Manning.

Manning was counting on Williams to play an important role on this team. No doubt he's disappointed.

I'm not sure rj realizes it but the more he trashes Williams, the more it becomes apparent Wake's program is in shambles under Manning.

This makes no sense. We thought we picked up a bench player and he decided to stay where he would be a starter. If anything it shows our program is on the improve.

I sure as hell hope he ends up having a mediocre season and we all aren't saying "if we only had Williams we'd be a 20 win team" come tourney time.

This makes no sense. We thought we picked up a bench player and he decided to stay where he would be a starter. If anything it shows our program is on the improve.

Manning planned to play him a lot and at multiple positions. He said that the team needs experience and urgency and that he wanted Williams on the roster so that he could bring the freshmen along slowly.

"“He’s a good shooter,’’ Manning said of Williams. “I think he’s a really, really good defender — strong body, long arms. He has gone through some adversity in college, battling back from different injuries. His work ethic, his desire to get out there, how he carries himself, is something that I was extremely impressed with.
“Matt is someone who plays with a chip on his shoulder. And that is something that we were missing. And when I say chip on his shoulder, I just think that every time he steps out on the court he wants to show people he’s one of the best and he belongs.’’

Mostly this event says very little about our program that we didn't already know...we are somewhere between a dumpster fire and a superfund site. I see it as a negative that we can't hold on to a transfer who was the third or fourth option on a weak team in a weak conference last year. I also see it as a negative that our team needed that transfer in the first place, but after the 7 seasons we've had it was a good coaching and recruitment move. When he verbally committed, lots of folks touted it as a sign of improvement in Manning's staff ability to recruit...'We targeted this kid early and successfully landed our target, that shows that Manning is improving the recruiting pitch, blah blah blah'...kinds of comments. So if it's a positive when we land him, why isn't it a negative when we lose him?

...and for the record. I was never very impressed with the commitment in the first place, you can see my comments in the recruiting thread. Sure he would have had the second or third best 3pt percentage on our team last year, but we were awful.

Of course a coach is going to play up a signee. Do you actually think he's going to tell the press, "He's got a chip on shoulder, because coaches and the press have put him down. And they were right. I took so we'd have bodies to scrimmage. There's no chance I would have taken him if any warm body was available."

What birdman posted.

You people would argue about anything.

I really don't think this situation says much of anything about our program - and everything about the changing situation at UCF. His competition for playing time where he is now left, meaning he will get all the minutes he wants to showcase his talent or whatever. They also signed a new coach who has the Coach K pedigree and association with Duke - that is probably attractive to him as well. Finally, he gets to just stay where he is and be comfortable, without moving and learning a new team, area and school.

If anything, this indicates that he was less interested in the academic side of things, since any kind of degree from Wake would be >>> any kind of degree from UCF.

If anything, this indicates that he was less interested in the academic side of things, since any kind of degree from Wake would be >>> any kind of degree from UCF.

Well that's not true.

Some of you guys need to take some lessons in coach-speak.

Nobody signs a benchwarmer and says, "Matt is going to be very important to this team. His high-fives are impeccable. He has incredibly long arms so when the 1st and 2nd string players are dunking on someone he can really use that wingspan to prevent the walkons from accidentally ending up on the court as they celebrate."

If Williams had just picked Miami over Wake initially no one would have cared that much. Why is it worse that the staff actually won the recruiting battle first before he decided to not transfer at all?

I really don't think this situation says much of anything about our program - and everything about the changing situation at UCF. His competition for playing time where he is now left, meaning he will get all the minutes he wants to showcase his talent or whatever. They also signed a new coach who has the Coach K pedigree and association with Duke - that is probably attractive to him as well. Finally, he gets to just stay where he is and be comfortable, without moving and learning a new team, area and school.

Why are you dragging me into this inane argument about who to blame?

Back