• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official UEFA Euro 2016 Thread

Bild's sports headline is a massive ticker saying "+++ DAS EM-AUS VON MARCO REUS +++" and then "SO HART IST DER AUSFALL FÜR UNSERE WELTMEISTER" (THE EUROS WITHOUT MARCO REUS / SO BIG IS THE LOSS FOR OUR WORLD CHAMPIONS)

Yep ... Germany is taking the news well and not in a total panic over the lethargic national team playing like crap recently and then losing their best forward to injury. Nothing to see there at all.

Last edited:
The German game the other day against Slovakia was kind of shit show. Not a lot of first teamers and a deluge that included hail at halftime -- pitch was waterlogged for the entire second half (though that might have actually prevented a goal in one instance) and Ter Stegen gave up a TERRIBLE goal, right between the legs, Taibi-style (I love Massimo Taibi, btw). Hamsik scored a screamer. I wouldn't read too much into tha result, but they didn't look good and that was their third loss in four games, I think? They also were playing 3 at the back in the first half (Kimmich, Boateng, Rudiger) with Rudy and Hector as wingbacks, which I'm not sure he'll do come the tournament. I think they'll be fine, but it's gotta be tough rolling into a tournament with zero momentum.

Last edited:
For entertainment - here's an advertisement that is running on Austrian TV during the Euros for Almdudler (an Austrian herbal soda, tastes sort of like ginger ale). The girl's name is Marketa Stroblova and do not Google image search her at work, her line of work is very, very NSFW

Wide diamond? Or no Sterling in first XI?

I don't think Sterling will start, though if you go by the squad numbers he's in the there (along with presumably Milner and Rooney in central midfield, so, yeah, not gonna read too much into that), but I think Sterling could play in one of those outside diamond midfield positions without any trouble if called upon, wider or pinched in or whatever, I think he's capable. I think he's best at the tip of the diamond, but unless Rooney plays as a striker, he's not going there, and might be behind Alli anyway. I think it's probably between Sterling and Alli on one side of the diamond and Milner/Lallana on the other. I didn't see the Australia game, though, so I don't know who looked good or did themselves any favors.

I think he'll start with Dier at the base and Alli on one side, Lallana/Milner on the other and Rooney at the tip, behind Kane and Vardy. But I really have no idea. He could throw a curveball and have a midfield diamond of Wilshere, Henderson, Milner, and Rooney and I wouldn't be completely shocked. Thursday will be interesting.

I'm sure Hodgson will realize the team is pretty shitty defensively, but instead of just rolling with that and going high energy, he'll try to make up for it by restricting them.

Rashford is starting and going to lead England to glory!*

*QF exit on penalties.

The Austrian team is pretty much healthy and the same squad that rolled through qualifying. They are going to be an extremely tough out.

Tor: Robert Almer (Austria Wien/27 Länderspiele), Heinz Lindner (Eintracht Frankfurt/8), Ramazan Özcan (FC Ingolstadt/7)

Abwehr: Aleksandar Dragovic (Dynamo Kiew/46/1 Tor), Christian Fuchs (Leicester City/74/1), György Garics (SV Darmstadt/41/2), Martin Hinteregger (Borussia Mönchengladbach/13/0), Florian Klein (VfB Stuttgart/36/0), Sebastian Prödl (FC Watford/56/4), Markus Suttner (FC Ingolstadt/16/0), Kevin Wimmer (Tottenham Hotspur/3/0)

Mittelfeld: David Alaba (Bayern München/45/11), Marko Arnautovic (Stoke City/51/11), Julian Baumgartlinger (1. FSV Mainz/44/1), Martin Harnik (VfB Stuttgart/57/14), Stefan Ilsanker (RB Leipzig/15/0), Jakob Jantscher (FC Luzern/21/1), Zlatko Junuzovic (Werder Bremen/47/7), Marcel Sabitzer (RB Leipzig/17/3), Alessandro Schöpf (Schalke 04/3/1)

Angriff:
Lukas Hinterseer (FC Ingolstadt/9/0), Rubin Okotie (1860 München/17/2), Marc Janko (FC Basel/53/26)

I don't think Sterling will start, though if you go by the squad numbers he's in the there (along with presumably Milner and Rooney in central midfield, so, yeah, not gonna read too much into that), but I think Sterling could play in one of those outside diamond midfield positions without any trouble if called upon, wider or pinched in or whatever, I think he's capable. I think he's best at the tip of the diamond, but unless Rooney plays as a striker, he's not going there, and might be behind Alli anyway. I think it's probably between Sterling and Alli on one side of the diamond and Milner/Lallana on the other. I didn't see the Australia game, though, so I don't know who looked good or did themselves any favors.

I think he'll start with Dier at the base and Alli on one side, Lallana/Milner on the other and Rooney at the tip, behind Kane and Vardy. But I really have no idea. He could throw a curveball and have a midfield diamond of Wilshere, Henderson, Milner, and Rooney and I wouldn't be completely shocked. Thursday will be interesting.

I'm sure Hodgson will realize the team is pretty shitty defensively, but instead of just rolling with that and going high energy, he'll try to make up for it by restricting them.

Hasn't Alli spent most of the year playing centrally behind the striker(s)? If Rooney is in that slot, Alli may well end up starting the game on the bench.

Yo are we doing a Euro fantasy draft? Maybe a combined Copa and Euro draft? That could be interesting.

I'm essentially a lame duck teacher for the last two days of school as my students graduated last night so I'm just showing episodes of "How the States Got Their Shapes" the last two days of school.

Therefore I'd be willing to set it up if someone walks me through the format.

Yo are we doing a Euro fantasy draft? Maybe a combined Copa and Euro draft? That could be interesting.

I'm essentially a lame duck teacher for the last two days of school as my students graduated last night so I'm just showing episodes of "How the States Got Their Shapes" the last two days of school.

Therefore I'd be willing to set it up if someone walks me through the format.

I'd be in for either but prefer a Euro only or Copa only format. Jus too many teams to deal with if it's combined.

Hasn't Alli spent most of the year playing centrally behind the striker(s)? If Rooney is in that slot, Alli may well end up starting the game on the bench.

Yeah, he has. I wouldn't be surprised to see him on the bench, or both he and Sterling on the bench. I actually have no clue what he's going to do except I'm pretty sure Rooney and Kane will start.

4-2-3-1 wouldn't be a bad look for England

Walker/Clyne - Smalling - Stones - Rose
-------------- Dier ------- Hendo/Wilshire---
Vardy ------------ Rooney --------------- Sterling
--------------------- Kane ---------------------------

4-2-3-1 wouldn't be a bad look for England

Walker/Clyne - Smalling - Stones - Rose
-------------- Dier ------- Hendo/Wilshire---
Vardy ------------ Rooney --------------- Sterling
--------------------- Kane ---------------------------

This is the first time since I started following soccer that I actually rate englands squad. I think they will do very well

Back