• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Grobe to Baylor

Anyone know if there is/was a Grobe introductory press conference? Would like to read or listen to his remarks. I've found nothing.

Still nothing from Baylor. They sent out this email today to all of their fans... and zero mention of Grobe.

June 3, 2016

Dear Baylor Nation,

We have entered a new season in the life of Baylor University. It is a season that calls for clarity, compassion and collective action as a Christian academic community and as a body of Baylor alumni that spans multiple generations, often within individual families. It is a season that calls for Baylor to stand together and speak as one voice, resolute in our shared commitment to student welfare and safety and to our institutional values.

I am honored and humbled that the Regents have asked me again to serve as Baylor’s interim president. I also want to recognize that the work lying ahead must be undertaken by the hearts and hands of the many thousands of Baylor students, faculty and staff, alumni and friends for whom Baylor is a treasured institution. We are called to come together in prayerful reflection and honest action.

I echo the sentiments of our Board Chair Ron Murff, “We, as the governing Board of this University, offer our apologies to the many who sought help from the University. We are deeply sorry for the harm that survivors have endured.”

Clarifying Matters

Baylor’s priority is to make our campus, and beyond, safe for our more than 16,000 students. We acknowledge our failures in the past and take responsibility for them, and we have already taken steps to ensure that we are in compliance with Title IX, the Jeanne Clery Act, the Violence Against Women Reauthorization Act of 2013 and other state and federal obligations. Our aim is to set the highest standards in this area.

This commitment has animated the entire course of action pursued by the Board of Regents during the past year, beginning with the decision last fall to retain the Philadelphia law firm Pepper Hamilton to conduct an external and comprehensive review of the University’s response to reports of sexual and gender-based violence under Title IX. Pepper Hamilton delivered to both the full Board of Regents and then-president Ken Starr a briefing in February and again in May. Ken Starr was present for both briefings, which included presentation of the Findings of Fact, as released publicly, and discussion of the specific facts that supported the identified incidences of failure over the years studied. Neither Ken Starr nor Pepper Hamilton was a part of the Board’s deliberations.

In recent days, various voices have called for the release of the “full report.” Pepper Hamilton’s report was delivered in the form of an oral presentation that fully and comprehensively presented the individual and aggregated findings and the evidence supporting the findings. The Findings of Fact and Recommendations, which were released publicly in a format that protected the privacy of individuals, fully reflect the facts and core failings identified in the investigation. The findings revealed clear opportunities for Baylor to improve. We encourage everyone to read the documents that are available at www.baylor.edu/rtsv.

Pepper Hamilton, our external investigators, had the freedom to follow the facts where they led and to determine those facts without any interference by University administration or the Board. Pepper Hamilton’s report was impartial and objective, and they did not hold back in their assessment. This firm was selected by our Board of Regents for its credibility and expertise in investigations of sexual violence. We fully trust the validity of its investigation. They had access to all requested documents and any Baylor employee they requested to interview. They independently reached out to and heard from brave survivors who assisted the investigation by sharing their experiences. We respect survivors’ freedom to choose whether, when and how to share their experiences and will support survivors who choose to share their experiences publicly. The details of these individuals’ experiences will not be discussed publicly by the University. We hurt for these students and deeply appreciate their willingness to speak with Pepper Hamilton as part of this review. Their insights and participation will help us better address these issues in the future.

The Board and the administration, in short, have been as forthright as is possible and are fully committed to presenting the truth of these findings to Baylor Nation and the world. We are also committed to reconciliation with those who have been harmed.

An Enhanced Title IX Office

Baylor has long been known as a place where students are loved and cared for, and that commitment remains true even as we face the realities of these findings of the Pepper Hamilton investigation. I am grateful to the Regents for openly addressing the findings. It demonstrates their unwavering dedication to do what is right for our students, both today and in the future. I am equally thankful to the Regents for investing in a Title IX office that is capable, compassionate, professional and working hard to care for the needs of students.

Baylor’s Title IX Office professionals have worked to assist many students in times of need, walking alongside them through a complex and trying process. I am extremely grateful to Patty Crawford and her recently expanded team who are doing so much in this vital area of University operations. During my tenure as interim provost, I oversaw the hiring of Patty, and I know her to be a professional with the highest standards, deepest compassion for students and utmost dedication to student welfare.

Improvements Being Pursued

All possible resources are being deployed to foster a culture on campus that is characterized by dignity, integrity and respect for others, including the awareness and prevention of sexual assault. We have already begun to implement the recommendations made by Pepper, and they have provided us with an excellent roadmap for the work ahead of us. In addition, a recommitment to our foundational faith will guide us as we strive to be true to the Lord we serve.

Baylor’s leadership is committed to doing all we can to implement change that leads to improved processes, communication, training, prevention, and response. An Executive-Level Task Force, led by Dr. Reagan Ramsower, senior vice president and chief operating officer, and implementation groups composed of members of Baylor’s faculty, staff and administration will build on significant improvements made in recent years by acting promptly to address Pepper Hamilton’s recommendations. A second Executive-Level Task Force, led by Dr. Greg Jones, executive vice president and provost, will focus on spiritual life and the cultivation of character across the university.

The Path Forward

When I first served as interim president of Baylor, from 2008 to 2010, one goal served as my guidepost for each day’s decisions — to strengthen Baylor’s mission of educating men and women for worldwide leadership and service by integrating academic excellence and Christian commitment within a caring community. This remains my goal.

We ask God for strength and guidance as we make our way forward. Thank you for your abiding love for Baylor University.

Sincerely,

David Garland
Interim President

I know, can't believe it's been that long. I figured if he was willing, they would've had Grobe "Open the Gate" this coming season for the 10 year anniversary of the ACC title year, but looks like he'll be pretty booked up for this coming season.

Alphonso, Skinner or Swank.

He never went 8-3 at state, and only even got close once. 5-7, 6-7, 5-7, 9-4, 8-5, 7-5. Two division 1-AA wins both the last two seasons meant we had to win the last game of each season just to be bowl eligible

The 2 division I-AA teams each year on the schedule always made me jealous.

Coach Grobe apparently nailed his presser. Drop by Baylorfans.com and read the responses from the posters.

Coach Grobe apparently nailed his presser. Drop by Baylorfans.com and read the responses from the posters.
Oof they're also all delusional about what happened.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Just went over to the suggested message board. They finally seem to respect him. A few days ago they were ready to burn Waco to the ground before accepting him.

Saw part of his presser in which he spoke of "culture." Wellman would be proud.

from one of the Baylor posters:
..."I am an expert in is public speaking, crisis communications, media relations. It's what I do and I'm paid fairly well for it. In my career, I have trained corporate CEOs, university presidents, hospital executives, and ordinary folks on how to handle themselves when placed in front of cameras and microphones. Were I to have graded Jim Grobe on his performance today, I would have given him an A+. I would have had little or no recommendations. It was virtually flawless. He answered the questions, he was sincere, not evasive at all and managed to drop in some inspiration and hope to his constituency, Baylor Nation (or family). That's my professional opinion..."

from one of the Baylor posters:
..."I am an expert in is public speaking, crisis communications, media relations. It's what I do and I'm paid fairly well for it. In my career, I have trained corporate CEOs, university presidents, hospital executives, and ordinary folks on how to handle themselves when placed in front of cameras and microphones. Were I to have graded Jim Grobe on his performance today, I would have given him an A+. I would have had little or no recommendations. It was virtually flawless. He answered the questions, he was sincere, not evasive at all and managed to drop in some inspiration and hope to his constituency, Baylor Nation (or family). That's my professional opinion..."

Agreed. It's the 4th and 1 situations at the opponent's 39 where things seem to break down. :)

I think you need to put us a little further downfield. The 39 was a clear punt

AP article today, apparently based on a Briles interview with a Waco TV station. Doesn't say much, only that the report reached its pre-ordained conclusions and that Briles is silenced by contractual obligations. He wants the whole truth to be determined by an outside, unbiased investigation.

Starr is gone from Baylor. Grobe's hire was a final line in the article.

The funny thing about this is the FW paper, which has been all over Baylor for months, predicted that this law firm was hand picked by the University to give the appearance of an investigation. I think the outcome was a shock to those who were following this story for the past several months and not just in the last couple of weeks.

The day will come when Jimmy gets more appreciation for what he did here at Wake Forest. We will never have another run like we had under Jimmy Grobe. I dont understand why people here dont see that.

The day will come when Jimmy gets more appreciation for what he did here at Wake Forest. We will never have another run like we had under Jimmy Grobe. I dont understand why people here dont see that.

Everybody understands that. It was a magical run from 2006-2008, albeit after the OB I was hoping with a new "winning culture" we would have avoided so many close losses from 2007-2009. We could have/should have returned to the championship in 2007, and Skinner's senior year in 2009 should have been 8-9 wins vs. our 5-7 record.

We beat Baylor on the road when they had a heathy RGIII.

Uhhh, that was his freshman year and he did not even play in the first half. It was his first action on the field as college player. The talent around him wasn't anything like it was a year or two later.

Back