• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Grobe to Baylor

Uhhh, that was his freshman year and he did not even play in the first half. It was his first action on the field as college player. The talent around him wasn't anything like it was a year or two later.

I attended that game and thought if RG III had started we would have lost that game. The QB who started was not good that night.

Was that the night they had the viewing party/public opening thing in Deacon Tower?

The "run" lasted 3 years. Out of 13.

2001 and 2002 were special since we had utterly sucked for so many years and suddenly we had a legit football team (and some of those wins were high scoring and thrilling or just flat hysterical - like Julius Peppers sucking wind etc.).

2009 I still cannot explain other than we choked.

2011 we were a 24 yard field goal from (likely) making the acccg again.

We also beat FSU at home in 2011 (I think it was 2011) which seems unfathomable now.

IMHO the "run" lasted approx. 11 years, then I would agree with anyone, the wheels completely and unacceptably fell off.

I blame Wellman.

from one of the Baylor posters:
..."I am an expert in is public speaking, crisis communications, media relations. It's what I do and I'm paid fairly well for it. In my career, I have trained corporate CEOs, university presidents, hospital executives, and ordinary folks on how to handle themselves when placed in front of cameras and microphones. Were I to have graded Jim Grobe on his performance today, I would have given him an A+. I would have had little or no recommendations. It was virtually flawless. He answered the questions, he was sincere, not evasive at all and managed to drop in some inspiration and hope to his constituency, Baylor Nation (or family). That's my professional opinion..."

#BaylorEntitlement

2001 and 2002 were special since we had utterly sucked for so many years and suddenly we had a legit football team (and some of those wins were high scoring and thrilling or just flat hysterical - like Julius Peppers sucking wind etc.).

2009 I still cannot explain other than we choked.

2011 we were a 24 yard field goal from (likely) making the acccg again.

We also beat FSU at home in 2011 (I think it was 2011) which seems unfathomable now.

IMHO the "run" lasted approx. 11 years, then I would agree with anyone, the wheels completely and unacceptably fell off.

I blame Wellman.

If you mean by "run" having hope for our program, then you have a case. However, a run is really about having a clearly good football team. I'll stick to 3 years.

..."I am an expert in is public speaking, crisis communications, media relations. It's what I do and I'm paid fairly well for it. In my career, I have trained corporate CEOs, university presidents, hospital executives, and ordinary folks on how to handle themselves when placed in front of cameras and microphones. Were I to have graded Jim Grobe on his performance today, I would have given him an A+. I would have had little or no recommendations. It was virtually flawless. He answered the questions, he was sincere, not evasive at all and managed to drop in some inspiration and hope to his constituency, Baylor Nation (or family). That's my professional opinion..."

Grobe has his faults, but he is excellent speaking to supporters and the press. I'm not surprised he did a great job. Very wise to keep all assistants in a one year gig.

Good place to get 19-39 yards of field position. Football is a game of field position, not scoring.

For sure. We've really been out field positioned by our opponents a lot over the past few seasons.

Wonder what he would have given Ken Starr.

RGIII destroyed us a year or two later. But we beat Andrew Luck!

Not totally accurate. In 2009, WF lost to Baylor 24-21. RG III didn't do a whole lot: 15 for 24 136 yards passing; averaged 3.2 yards a carry (41 yards) rushing. May have been RG3's worst game of the year. Box score: http://espn.go.com/college-football/boxscore?gameId=292480154

In 2008, WF crushed Baylor at Baylor 41-12. Skinner had 3 TD passes. Again, RG 3 was not much of a factor: 11/19 125 yards passing; 11 carries 29 yards rushing. The Box: http://espn.go.com/college-football/boxscore?gameId=282410239

Hard to believe, but we really were a solid program not that long ago. May have been the only program to beat both RG 3 and Andrew Luck.

Not totally accurate. In 2009, WF lost to Baylor 24-21. RG III didn't do a whole lot: 15 for 24 136 yards passing; averaged 3.2 yards a carry (41 yards) rushing. May have been RG3's worst game of the year. Box score: http://espn.go.com/college-football/boxscore?gameId=292480154

In 2008, WF crushed Baylor at Baylor 41-12. Skinner had 3 TD passes. Again, RG 3 was not much of a factor: 11/19 125 yards passing; 11 carries 29 yards rushing. The Box: http://espn.go.com/college-football/boxscore?gameId=282410239

Hard to believe, but we really were a solid program not that long ago. May have been the only program to beat both RG 3 and Andrew Luck.

ah. I seem to remember him driving them down the field at the last second to score in the game at Groves -- maybe that's why I'm thinking destroyed.

Luck did really destroy us in Palo Alto during that late-ass game

Yeah, Wake absolutely cold not stop RG3 at the end of the game.

Luck hung 70 on us in Palo Alto.

That was the game that Riley "destroyed" us. I think he threw 4 picks in the first half.

Back