• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Grobe to Baylor

"He's one of the most well-liked and well-respected coaches in the country, and Wake Forest athletic director Ron Wellman made an egregious error when he thought he could do better."

I mean, I love Grobe, but what? Will this thread side with WELLMAN?

"He's one of the most well-liked and well-respected coaches in the country, and Wake Forest athletic director Ron Wellman made an egregious error when he thought he could do better."

I mean, I love Grobe, but what? Will this thread side with WELLMAN?

No, Wellman made an egregious error by hiring Bzzz. I love Grobe, I really do, but it was time. It remains yet to be seen how well Clawson can do, but it was the right time and Clawson was a good hire I think.

Yeah terrible presentation of facts in that article. Only portrays Grobes good years and never his last 5. Even though it's an article supporting Grobe, don't present only the good feats of Grobe then piss on the ADs decision to let him go withiut showing Grobes last 5 years.

I'm all for anyone pissing on Wellman, whether accurate or not. I'll help them with their zipper.

"Yet Grobe had three consecutive winning seasons from 2006 to '08, including an appearance in the 2006 ACC championship game after winning a school-record 11 games and earning a berth in the Orange Bowl."

This makes it sound like we didn't win the 2006 ACC championship.

No, Wellman made an egregious error by hiring Bzzz. I love Grobe, I really do, but it was time. It remains yet to be seen how well Clawson can do, but it was the right time and Clawson was a good hire I think.

Clawson isn't going to do shit at WF, and in a couple more years most people will have figured that out. Even with the laughably ridiculous schedule they have put together this year, he isn't going to win more than 4 or 5 games. And if they ever quit playing teams like Tulane, Delaware, Army, Elon, Liberty & Presbyterian he will be lucky to win 4 games in any year.

First order of business: Get rid of this guy for a bad haircut:
HAL161896.jpg

Clawson isn't going to do shit at WF, and in a couple more years most people will have figured that out. Even with the laughably ridiculous schedule they have put together this year, he isn't going to win more than 4 or 5 games. And if they ever quit playing teams like Tulane, Delaware, Army, Elon, Liberty & Presbyterian he will be lucky to win 4 games in any year.

I thought you were the head of the "that's the best Wake is ever going to do" crowd? Yet your comments are tinged with disdain.

I'm confused.

Can head coaches really not talk to juniors?

I am basing this all off a friend who has a kid who is being recruited, so I could very well be wrong. My understanding was that when head coaches visit high schools in person they aren't allowed to talk to kids unless it is after they finish their Senior year.

Probably a good hire for Baylor and a nice opportunity for Grobe... He can "fix the culture" and has the chance to show what he can do with some more talent. Recruiting will be an issue, but I suspect that would take a hit no matter who they brought in, given the situation. If he wins a bunch of games for them this year, he can potentially stick around or get another gig somewhere else.

Having said that, the most comical thing about the glowing ESPN article on Grobe is that he has ostensibly been looking for a head coaching job the last few years and hasn't landed one. If he is truly that great of a coach and universally loved and respected, you'd think he would have already been hired elsewhere.

Go F yourself you crabby old man, nobody gives a rat's butt hole what you think? Go to the daily bingo game at the rest home or something

Duke has been pretty good in hoops for a few years.

The entire paradigm of college revenue athletics was different in 1985. And Coach k is the one guy who has taken a small school and created a 30 year dynasty without (seemingly) going dirty in some way. I don't feel like it's fair to look at the one school where it worked beginning 30 years ago and say "we should be able to do the same."

And yeah, he's a snake who just has been teflon in the media.

Back