• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Grobe to Baylor

I am happy for Grobie and this makes a lot of sense for him:
- gets rid of the bad taste around his departure at Wake,
- if he does not screw around with Baylor's offense, he has a chance to get his career winning record back to positive,
- he is a man of faith so will fit in well with Baylor's mission and administration
- could be a springboard to another position
- he is the right guy to hold athletes accountable for their actions off the field, and turn around a deficient culture
- should be a lot of fun

Wake Forest ain't Duke...or Stanford. That's another delusional misconception that many posters can't seem to shake.

How bout Northwestern, who has had a damn good run in football for about two decades now. Or Vandy under Franklin.

I'm willing to believe those institutions have some advantages over us, but I also believe they're offset by the number of major programs and land-grant institutions they have to deal with in their conferences.

If you get the right coach, you win. Simples

I wonder how Grobe will handle having a Probation Coordinator on his staff at Baylor.

I am happy for Grobie and this makes a lot of sense for him:
- gets rid of the bad taste around his departure at Wake,
- if he does not screw around with Baylor's offense, he has a chance to get his career winning record back to positive,
- he is a man of faith so will fit in well with Baylor's mission and administration
- could be a springboard to another position
- he is the right guy to hold athletes accountable for their actions off the field, and turn around a deficient culture
- should be a lot of fun

Baylor's mission is to put dollars and wins over the safety of its women students. How is that a faith based mission?

Grobe will be 65 before the beginning of the 17 season, who is going to hire someone at that age?

Yeah terrible presentation of facts in that article. Only portrays Grobes good years and never his last 5. Even though it's an article supporting Grobe, don't present only the good feats of Grobe then piss on the ADs decision to let him go withiut showing Grobes last 5 years.

I mean it's Heather Dinich. She was pretty awful when she covered the ACC for espn, this shouldn't surprise anyone.

I think Jim should send us some of those de-commits..... :D

The entire paradigm of college revenue athletics was different in 1985. And Coach k is the one guy who has taken a small school and created a 30 year dynasty without (seemingly) going dirty in some way. I don't feel like it's fair to look at the one school where it worked beginning 30 years ago and say "we should be able to do the same."

And yeah, he's a snake who just has been teflon in the media.

Just responding to BKF's post. There are other private schools with sustained success. Nova is private, right? Gonzaga, too. Eta: Butler as well. Creighton.

Last edited:
Baylor's mission is to put dollars and wins over the safety of its women students. How is that a faith based mission?

Grobe will be 65 before the beginning of the 17 season, who is going to hire someone at that age?

Think Athletic Director.

It was a dude who was shot by his teammate. Baylor's safety threats are equal-opportunity.

LOL social justice warriors. Just admit it RJ, you're the white PHDeac.

Think Athletic Director.

Nah, he's the same age as Wellman and you know what everyone seems to think about him.

Do you really think the Baylor BOT wants a dinosaur like Grobe hiring the next football coach ?

It will be interesting to see how long some of the assistant coaches last. Particularly those who were most involved with recruiting and coaching the players alleged to have committed the offenses. I could see multiple assistants out the door in a week or two, once Grobe gets to Baylor and does some interviews and has some discussions with players and coaches.

My guess as to order of business for Grobe:
1. Figure out which assistant coaches knew about/covered up for the alleged offenses/offenders, and remove them.
2. Find some new assistants that he can trust and have his philosophy.
3. Re-recruit some of the players who have decommitted over the firing of Briles.

Given his interim title, Grobe will have a hard time getting his old coaches back who already have jobs with other programs as there is a very good chance that Grobe will be one and done at Baylor (Grobe may want to be one and done). For example, it took a couple of years for a spot to open at AF for Lobo to get back there, would be very risky for him (or any other coach with a job at a solid program) to take an assistant's job at Baylor under an interim coach. Also, to avert a plague of transfers, Grobe will likely seek to retain as many as current assistants as possible (to the extent any aren't tainted by the investigation).

Can't wait to see what Grobe does on Baylor's first 4th and 2 from the opponents 39.

Think how effective RG3 would have been with a full complement of cut-blockers in front of him.

Given his interim title, Grobe will have a hard time getting his old coaches back who already have jobs with other programs as there is a very good chance that Grobe will be one and done at Baylor (Grobe may want to be one and done). For example, it took a couple of years for a spot to open at AF for Lobo to get back there, would be very risky for him (or any other coach with a job at a solid program) to take an assistant's job at Baylor under an interim coach. Also, to avert a plague of transfers, Grobe will likely seek to retain as many as current assistants as possible (to the extent any aren't tainted by the investigation).

I agree, it will be difficult for him to get his old coaches back. That doesn't stop them from 1) recommending coaches they know and trust; 2) coaches willing to take the risk on one year jobs; 3) guys wanting to move from position coach to coordinator, even if for a year; 4) coordinator currently elsewhere who is willing to take a one year "try-out" to potentially be the next HC at Baylor.

There may be some verbal agreement for Grobe to move to the AD position (open as of yesterday) after the upcoming FB season for some years. That would put him in th position of hiring the next Baylor FB coach.

Back