• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Grobe to Baylor

Incidentally, this is probably the right hire on both ends. Will certainly be rooting for Baylor next year.

Incidentally, this is probably the right hire on both ends. Will certainly be rooting for Baylor next year.

I just can't root for them. I want to root for Grobe, but I couldn't ever root for that disgusting school/athletic department. Burn that shit hole to the ground.

It will be interesting to see what he does with really good players and perhaps some of the existing staff. Even the backups at Baylor are probably better than most of his teams here. He had to work to find diamonds in the rough here. If he actually coaches and isn't 100% figurehead/culturehead, then it will be interesting to see. If he brings in all of his own coaches, I'm not sure that style will work at Baylor, even for a year.

I do hope he is able to brighten his legacy a bit in terms of W/L and how he ended here at Wake. but if he can't have a great season, at least prove that he has and always will run a clean program.

Last edited:
Tarheel alumni must be clueless to the fact that UNC's situation is about much more than wins & losses. All of their comments pertain to the whole problem being isolated to women's basketball. They seem to have no concern at all about all the shit that was going on down there. To them, everything is just about winning games. Evidently, they doesn't give a damn about what went on off the field. They never mention anything about it, anyway. Typical Hole fan jerks.

FIFY

Well, here's another take on the hire.

That cannot be his real voice. It has to be his radio voice. It is awful.

Also, it seems like he is "discovering" information in real time on air. Nice prep work, dude

Grobe will have no problem filling a staff with low level assistants and FCS coaches looking for a shot at a big time program.

It's behind a paywall, but an article in the Dallas Morning News today indicated that Kendal Briles and Phil Bennett will be staying.

Starting in 2017, Baylor has a home and home series versus Duke. So, if Grobe stays past next season, he can seek to augment his dominance over the Devils.

In 2016, Baylor has a very soft start to the schedule:

NW State (H)
SMU (H)
Rice (A)
OK State (H)
Iowa State (A)
Kansas (A)

Even with the turmoil, Baylor will likely be favored in each game (except for possibly the home game against OK State) until the schedule turns brutal from October 29 on:

Texas (A)
TCU (H)
Oklahoma (A)
K State (H)
Texas Tech @ Jerry World
WV (A)

Baylor always has a soft schedule. They didn't play a quality opponent until mid November last year.

It's behind a paywall, but an article in the Dallas Morning News today indicated that Kendal Briles and Phil Bennett will be staying.

I'm a little surprised that the younger Briles is staying. Just for the optics of the situation, I would think it would be best if he moved on. If I'm Grobe and Baylor, I want to be rid of all reminders of what happened under Briles' watch. and that would include his kid.

I know it's late in the coaching change cycle, but this is not a normal circumstance.

He has made late night Baltimore/Washington sports radio unlistenable. No knowledge, grating voice. He must have something on the CBS executives.

He has made late night Baltimore/Washington sports radio unlistenable. No knowledge, grating voice. He must have something on the CBS executives.

DI4MN.jpg

I'm a little surprised that the younger Briles is staying. Just for the optics of the situation, I would think it would be best if he moved on. If I'm Grobe and Baylor, I want to be rid of all reminders of what happened under Briles' watch. and that would include his kid.

I know it's late in the coaching change cycle, but this is not a normal circumstance.

Yeah, who can think of a situation where you fire the head coach and keep all the assistants. Sounds ridiculous.

It will be easier to root for Grobe than Baylor, but that may be too fine a line to walk in the short term. I hope Grobie parlays this opportunity into a permanent job so he can rebuild a deserving P5 school into a visible an competitive program, but I'm not sure that Baylor fits my definition of deserving.

It will be easier to root for Grobe than Baylor, but that may be too fine a line to walk in the short term. I hope Grobie parlays this opportunity into a permanent job so he can rebuild a deserving P5 school into a visible an competitive program, but I'm not sure that Baylor fits my definition of deserving.

It will be interesting to see how he does there. Has anyone heard an explanation of the "acting" title vs interim that I would have thought would be Grobe's title? In my knowledge base, "acting" is usually given to an assistant who fills in for the head coach while he is temporarily unable to perform his duties. Situations like illness or injury, family emergency or ejection. Interim is the term I usually associate with a coach who has the job for a limited period of time (like a season), but usually longer than an acting. I know baseball teams sometimes use the interim tag on the person who finishes the season when a manager is fired with a month or two left in the season.

It will be interesting to see how he does there. Has anyone heard an explanation of the "acting" title vs interim that I would have thought would be Grobe's title? In my knowledge base, "acting" is usually given to an assistant who fills in for the head coach while he is temporarily unable to perform his duties. Situations like illness or injury, family emergency or ejection. Interim is the term I usually associate with a coach who has the job for a limited period of time (like a season), but usually longer than an acting. I know baseball teams sometimes use the interim tag on the person who finishes the season when a manager is fired with a month or two left in the season.

Nothing says "Please don't sign here" quite as clearly as an "Interim" tag on the signature block of a head coach's recruiting letter, but that might be just what Baylor is after, in case the NCAA comes knocking.

"Look, we wanted to get as far away from 5 star talent as possible, so...."

Back