• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Grobe to Baylor

I never understood the hate that TOB received. I mean, all he did was win 7-8 games a year with a much more difficult schedule than what doeren faces now and wasn't he like 5-1 vs the cheats? I always thought he was a solid coach. And didn't he take BC to like 11 straight bowl games or something crazy like that?

TOB is allergic to conference championships (or conference title games) and winning in Winston, but otherwise he didn't do too much wrong

TOB is allergic to conference championships (or conference title games) and winning in Winston, but otherwise he didn't do too much wrong

Well, and he ran off Russell Wilson. Or, wait, maybe that's a bunch of hooey put forth by a self-lauding QB who continues to spin a narrative to support his origin story?

No, he really ran off Russell Wilson. Dude had Clemson and FSU in major down periods while also having a Pro Bowl, Super Bowl winning dual threat quarterback at his disposal and choked it away. And only had a winning record once with Wilson. Also had to win in the final game both years with Glennon just to be bowl eligible. Glennon wasn't great but also an NFL quarterback. The fact that Doeren is a complete joke and still is equaling TOB's records says it all.

Very few people care about the actual football at NC State now, it's all about the tailgate and party. Fired TOB to keep people at least coming to that.

Last edited:
No, he really ran off Russell Wilson. Dude had Clemson and FSU in major down periods while also having a Pro Bowl, Super Bowl winning dual threat quarterback at his disposal and choked it away. And only had a winning record once with Wilson. Also had to win in the final game both years with Glennon just to be bowl eligible. Glennon wasn't great but also an NFL quarterback. The fact that Doeren is a complete joke and still is equaling TOB's records says it all.

Very few people care about the actual football at NC State now, it's all about the tailgate and party. Fired TOB to keep people at least coming to that.

Tin, I'm not arguing whether it was the right call to move on from Wilson, but if TOB would have kept him and Glennon most assuredly transferred, what was the likely QB scenario in the first year post-Wilson?

Tin, I'm not arguing whether it was the right call to move on from Wilson, but if TOB would have kept him and Glennon most assuredly transferred, what was the likely QB scenario in the first year post-Wilson?

I'm a Russell Wilson fan. That being said, I've always thought TOB got too much heat for what transpired. It seemed Wilson was very uncertain as to whether he was going to play football anymore as he was trying his hand in the minors and I don't think it was crazy for a coach saying, "hey, we'd love to have you back, but we've got to move forward too." Not saying it was the right decision not to leave a path open for Wilson to come back, but I can understand TOB's side of it too.

There was no doubt with any insiders that Wilson was coming back. He just couldn't say so publicly with his baseball contract. TOB's "side" is that he thought Glennon was going to be a better quarterback than Russ, and he was obviously dead wrong. That is literally the entirety of the issue. He finally got a chance to move to his chosen quarterback and he ran like hell with it to the gates of his preferred mediocrity.

I am curious to see how he does there as well. I know some on here are still angry at him for his last few seasons at Wake or things he said after he left Wake. I would like to see him do well at Baylor and will be rooting for him.

There should be a lot of talent remaining in Baylor, even after transfers, so he should inherit a pretty good situation in that regard. Assistant coaching situation will be critical.

As would, and should, most Statefans. He got fired because he lost one game on a blown punt coverage. Typical reactionary loons.

I never understood the hate that TOB received. I mean, all he did was win 7-8 games a year with a much more difficult schedule than what doeren faces now and wasn't he like 5-1 vs the cheats? I always thought he was a solid coach. And didn't he take BC to like 11 straight bowl games or something crazy like that?

Lot of revisionist history here other than the great record against UNC. It was time for TOB to go, just as most of you guys thought it was time for Grobe to go. To outsiders it looks like a weird decision considering the success they had, but to those that really see what's going on with the program, it makes sense.

TOB was allergic to not only conference championships, but also to recruiting. The dude coached 6 seasons at NCSU and for 5 of those had Russell Wilson and Mike Glennon as his starting QB. His record over that span was 35-28 and he never finished with more than 5 wins in the ACC. His ACC record during those 5 years was 19-21. TOB NEVER won more than 9 games at BC or NCSU. His ceiling had been hit and it's not crazy for NCSU fans to want to bust through that ceiling and the best way to do so was with a better coach that had the drive and desire to recruit better. You see what DD had to work with his first season and it's been a difficult rebuild just like it has been for Clawson. I expect to see some results this season with the roster finally being a little older but the QB position is now the scary part. And the schedule this year is brutal with ND and ECU as OOC along with the normal murderers row in the Atlantic. We'll see how it goes and if he doesn't produce this season he won't have many left, but to think TOB shouldn't have been fired is laughable.

The same one you saw in Dorean's first year that was an unmitigated disaster. TOB would have had to bring in a highly regarded freshman and hope he had won the job.

There was no doubt with any insiders that Wilson was coming back. He just couldn't say so publicly with his baseball contract. TOB's "side" is that he thought Glennon was going to be a better quarterback than Russ, and he was obviously dead wrong. That is literally the entirety of the issue. He finally got a chance to move to his chosen quarterback and he ran like hell with it to the gates of his preferred mediocrity.

If TOB did know that Wilson was coming back, even if he couldn't say it, then yeah he did screw up then.

Wilson left to play baseball. If he sets the world on fire, he doesn't come back to NCSU. Wilson didn't set the baseball world on fire, so he returned to football. TOB had to keep his commitments to the kids who were committed to him/State. No big deal in my mind that Wilson couldn't return to State. Wisconsin had a need at QB. That's the only reason they took Wilson.

TOB is your coach if you want to go 8-3 and to a decent, but not great, bowl game every year. That's his ceiling.

He never went 8-3 at state, and only even got close once. 5-7, 6-7, 5-7, 9-4, 8-5, 7-5. Two division 1-AA wins both the last two seasons meant we had to win the last game of each season just to be bowl eligible

AP article today, apparently based on a Briles interview with a Waco TV station. Doesn't say much, only that the report reached its pre-ordained conclusions and that Briles is silenced by contractual obligations. He wants the whole truth to be determined by an outside, unbiased investigation.

Starr is gone from Baylor. Grobe's hire was a final line in the article.

Fairly obvious in the presser that Jim misses the game and the players. Said he made some mistakes at WF by not pushing the players more.

Just ran across this tweet from Baylor reporter....Grobe has got his hands full with this job.

"Parrish Cobb's father wants answers. He's waiting outside the stadium, asking every media member to ask Grobe when he'll release Parrish"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just ran across this tweet from Baylor reporter....Grobe has got his hands full with this job.

"Parrish Cobb's father wants answers. He's waiting outside the stadium, asking every media member to ask Grobe when he'll release Parrish"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Puh-lease. In due time, most likely. Also, it's not like anyone is shocked that shady shit was going on at Baylor. Now a rape coverup is a bridge or two further than anyone thought, but let's not act like the kid wants out because of that. He wants out because Briles is gone.

Yeah terrible presentation of facts in that article. Only portrays Grobes good years and never his last 5. Even though it's an article supporting Grobe, don't present only the good feats of Grobe then piss on the ADs decision to let him go withiut showing Grobes last 5 years.

We had good teams in 2009 and 2011, but I get your point.

Back