• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2016 College football thread

Phil Steele was on College Sirius yesterday, interviewed from SEC Media Days, and was asked of all the tremendous slate of games that make up the first weekend of college football, if he could see only 1 game on TV, which would it be? His answer was Clemson @ Auburn simply because of the ramifications for both teams.

Clemson has the most dynamic playmaker in all of college football in Deshaun Watson. Gus Malzahn is on the hot seat and must start the season well as they start with 5 straight games at home with 2 of them high level SEC games--Texas A & M and LSU along with 3 non cons [but 2nd game Ark St is no pushover winning the Sun Belt regular season last year going 8-0]. Auburn has a new DC and most remember they were actually picked to win the SEC West last year. Clemson has designs on winning the "natty" again this year and must win this one and beat FSU & Louisville to have that chance.

Opening weekend of college football:

Wake -17 over Tulane
Stanford -16 over K State
GT -3 @ BC [my own feelings are that GT is very over rated because of their offense & Paul Johnson, but they are void of a lot of talent]
WVa -13 over Mizzou
Clemson -7.5 @ Auburn
A & M -1 over UCLA
LSU -9 @ Wisc
UGA -3.5 over UNC
OK -10 @ Houston
Bama -1 vs USC in Dallas
BYU @ Arizona in Phoenix pickum
ND -3.5 @ Texas
FSU -5.5 over Ole Miss

Bama is a 10 point fave not a 1 point fave. Vegas hasn't completely lost their minds

Bama is a 10 point fave not a 1 point fave. Vegas hasn't completely lost their minds

Yeah, I was like "whoa, is USC supposed to be WAY better than I thought they were this year" when I saw that line???

Everything TheReff posts is usually wrong by a magnitude of 10.

Yeah, I was like "whoa, is USC supposed to be WAY better than I thought they were this year" when I saw that line???

Early article I was reading had it at this, but should have realized USC is not "that" good quite yet and was a typo, even at a neutral field and Bama still with no QB as of yet. They also opened at -14 from what I have seen so it is now down to -10, huh? Interesting.

Read today that there is a push to ban kickoffs as soon as next year.

Seriously???

What next.....no tackling?
Then, no scoring.....it wouldn't be fair if one team had fewer points than the other

Charlotte is going to be really good this year. Jumping to FBS soon. If you wren't pussies you'd be playing us this year on McColl-richardson Field at at Jerry Richardson Stadium! Happy 80th birthday jerry Richardson! yesterday

0719panthers-richardson_02

I bet whoever your stadium is named after doesn't have a statue of him out front. Why don't you build a statue for Gorbe since you named the stadium after him and the only success you ever had was when he was coach with Coach Lambert who is our Coach now and caused you to catch lightning in a bottle and win your second rate comference?

There is a huge movement afoot to bring sportsmanship back into the game at the intercollegiate level and really big in the high school level. This year in college football there is a new rule that 2 unsportsmanlike conduct penalties is an automatic ejection. It will be interesting to see how they handle the coaches with that because they seem to go as crazy from the sidelines, spouting anything from their mouths. Nobody in the stands can hear them, just like Coach K does in basketball, so they tend to get away with a lot. Also in the ACC and at Notre Dame, instant replay will also be available to the collaborative replay official in Greensboro, just like the NFL at their New York offices. So decisions will be communicated by VoIP to communicate instantly with the on-field officials. The ACC will send all their information at the end of the season to the NCAA as they decide whether or not to make it permanent.

All high school sports starting with the fall sports in August will have a "no tolerance" policy in North Carolina as outlined by the NCHSAA as far as assistant coaches, players and fans are concerned. There has been far too much violence in games from a threatening nature in many sports including soccer, baseball, football & basketball. There were several bad fights that broke out in some of the high school playoff games and 1 state title game in basketball. Going to be an interesting season all the way around!

Clawson was on Ivan Maisel's Championship Drive podcast yesterday for those interested.

Is there data that higher percentage of concussions even happen on kickoffs? I get it in theory - that the play where everyone charges at each other at a full sprint could have the most violent collisions. But is there data that actually supports that?

Guessing that enough people will oppose banning kickoffs for the status quo to remain for now, but over the next couple of seasons, someone will suffer an injury on a kickoff in a high-profile game (which could've happened on any play), at that point, the media will seize on it in a frenzy, and in an overreaction, kickoffs will be banned. Like the stupid baseball slide rule after Chase Utley took out Rueben Tejada in the playoffs last year.

Voila_Capture-2015-10-11_10-20-07_AM.jpg

That's a good guess, Pilchard.

Back