• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2016 College football thread

TheReff

Rod Griffin
Reaction score
Never too early to talk college football and talk radio is already building up the huge first weeks of the college football weekends of non-conference games. It seems as if the playoffs have helped to at least get some teams off their duffs and playing some games that matter early.

Week 1 games of note: OK @ Houston [huge], Mizzou @ WVa, UCLA @ Tex A & M, LSU @ Wisconsin [Lambeau Field], UGa vs UNC-Cheats [Atlanta],
USC vs Bama [Jerry's World AT & T Stadium], Clemson @ Auburn, BYU @ Zona [Univ of Phoenix Stadium], Notre Dame @ Texas and Ole Miss @ FSU [Citrus Bowl Orlando]

Week 2 matchups: UNC @ Ill, Penn St @ Pitt [Heinz Field], Arkansas @ TCU, Virginia Tech vs Tennessee [Bristol Motor Speedway 160,000]

Week 3 matchups: Oregon @ Nebraska, Miami @ App St, Pitt @ Ok St, Michigan St @ Notre Dame, Ohio State @ Oklahoma [tOSU finally plays somebody!!]

Week 4 matchups: Wake Forest @ Indiana, Louisville @ Marshall, Duke @ Notre Dame

That takes us through the end of September. Most of the last big non-con games are Thanksgiving weekend except for Oct 15--Stanford @ ND.

Fire away but I have us going 6-6 and making a bowl.

Maybe a little early. The national media starts their college football talk around July 1. I think 6-6 can be accomplished.

Well, I say 4 wins max unless something changes materially with our OL/rushing from what we saw in the Spring.

Ok - So are you taking action on an over/under of 3 wins since 4 wins is the "max"?

5 Wins. To do better the team will need a 5th Quarter moment a la 2006 Duke game at Groves and 1979 game at Jawja.

Hope Grobe does well at Baylor Lawbreaker U.

5 Wins. To do better the team will need a 5th Quarter moment a la 2006 Duke game at Groves and 1979 game at Jawja.

Hope Grobe does well at Baylor Lawbreaker U.

I want us to beat UVa badly! Play them at home ought to help and hopefully they don't have the talent in place yet for Bronco's being a better game coach then London to make a difference yet.

Wakes gonna run the table amirite?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vaughn's blocked FG! :thumbsup:

Suck it dook!

Duke's schedule definitely steps up this season as they make road trips to Northwestern & Notre Dame in b-t-b weekends [right after a bruising battle with the Deacs], and also have to play at Louisville from our side of the ACC later on. If they can get to 6-6 and go bowling this season, they certainly deserve it.

Some interesting "best bets" for this year's season win totals"

FIU under 6.5
Toledo over 6.5
FSU over 9.5
BYU under 8 [I guess losing Bronco means that much!]
Miami [F] over 6.5 [Richt returns 15 starters including QB Kayaa & still had 8 wins last year]
ECU under 5.5

Best bet--Ohio State over 8.5 [even with a more difficult schedule & @ OK, trust in Urban!]

New NCAA football rules for the 2016 season announced. Look for these:

No tripping at all--prior to this season, tripping the runner was allowed--15 yards from the end of the run

Game clock penalty w/in 2 minutes end of each half--foul on the team ahead in the score, offended team will have the option to start the clock & let it run or start it on the snap

Coach disqualification--same as a player now--if 2 unsportsmanlike's in a game, now a DQ

Roughing the passer--defensive player rushing unabated to the passer cannot hit the passer below the knee if he is in a passing posture

Blocking below the waist--low blocking zone replaced by tackle box [5 yards from the snapper each side]. Can't block below the waist until ball carrier has crossed the line of scrimmage.

Defenseless player--ball player gives himself up & slides, ball placed where slide began

Instant replay & Targeting--will review all aspects of a targeting foul--will be able to stop a game to review for egregious fouls--[in the past, some were DQ'ed wrongly]--will watch for launching & forcible contact to the head among other factors. Targeting rule is serving the game well--replay official may stop the game at the behest of the medical observer also.

TV cameras may now be on the field in time out huddles but not live ball. Video images, photographs & computers may be used in the locker rooms & press box, but still not on the sidelines. TV monitors in the press box only and they must be identical for both teams.

Don't understand the game clock penalty. Clearly delay of game can't be called on a defensive team that's ahead.

Lists PSU @ Pitt week 2 but ignores Temple @ PSU week 3? Don't sleep on my owls.

No tripping at all--prior to this season, tripping the runner was allowed--15 yards from the end of the run

So if tripping is no longer allowed, what is the new penalty, or is it still 15 yards?

Last edited:
Athlon has Wake going to the Independence Bowl. I think they're a year early. Put me on the four wins list.

So if tripping is no longer allowed, what is the new penalty, or is it still 15 yards?

Three additional adjustments were approved to enhance student-athlete safety:

• First, the rules dealing with low blocks were adjusted to prohibit a player who leaves the tackle box from blocking below the waist toward the initial position of the ball.
• Second, the rules pertaining to a defenseless player will include a ball carrier who has clearly given himself up by sliding feet first.
• Finally, the deliberate tripping of the ball carrier (with the leg) was approved as a foul.

15 yards from the end of the run for the new addition of tripping a runner. There has been a tripping foul for other stuff like a blocker using his feet, but not for a runner, although we never saw it much thank goodness as that really does cause sudden injuries, just like the horse collar tackle. I guess they saw it enough to make sure it got in the rule book as a definite penalty.

Last edited:
Athlon also has us number 64 overall. So we'd be going to the big dance if there was a big dance for football!

Back