• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NBA Off-season thread: Duncan and Garnett retire

Good news, new CBA almost done meaning no work stoppage next year. People didn't see that coming until recently. I assume this means they'll basically stick with the old 50/50 bri split. One and done rule not changing per Woj, rookie scale getting bumped up to match new TV money.

Players get fleeced, but cp3 and Lebron don't care, only change is a rule to make em each another 30 mil

Who is starting season thread? I vote Kory since the only time he started a thread the Warriors blew a 3-1 lead in the finals.

Also:
136bd540143f3f678a5b647f551e8120.jpg

Who is starting season thread? I vote Kory since the only time he started a thread the Warriors blew a 3-1 lead in the finals.

Also:
136bd540143f3f678a5b647f551e8120.jpg

I think RSF wanted to do it this year. Grad school is kicking my ass and I'll be a terrible thread title host.

also ball is life

Great interview from lacob sparks a big run for the dubs in the third.

Joel Embiid against Miami last night:

18 points
9 rebounds
8/16 FG
2/2 FT
18 minutes

Good news, new CBA almost done meaning no work stoppage next year. People didn't see that coming until recently. I assume this means they'll basically stick with the old 50/50 bri split. One and done rule not changing per Woj, rookie scale getting bumped up to match new TV money.

The new 50/50 split would contain more TV than the old one and other revenues that weren't counted.

palma, since they didn't eliminate the contract, how did the players get fleeced?

Noel having another knee operation. Guess his trade is off for a while.

Last night Pop started- Parker, Kawahi, Kyle Anderson, LA and Pau. That is one looooooooong team.

The new 50/50 split would contain more TV than the old one and other revenues that weren't counted.

palma, since they didn't eliminate the contract, how did the players get fleeced?

It's more that the players got fleeced last time, were the sole reason for the explosion of TV money, and are receiving less of that TV money than they should be.

It seems like the players realize that it's better to keep growing the pie by avoiding a work stoppage than it is to fight for their rightful share of the pie. It will be interesting to see what concessions they end up getting for leaving BRI alone.

It's more that the players got fleeced last time, were the sole reason for the explosion of TV money, and are receiving less of that TV money than they should be.

It seems like the players realize that it's better to keep growing the pie by avoiding a work stoppage than it is to fight for their rightful share of the pie. It will be interesting to see what concessions they end up getting for leaving BRI alone.

I don't know 50/50 seems fair to me. The owners seem to have done a pretty good job negotiating that last TV deal that allowed Mike Conley to get the biggest contract in NBA history.

There don't seem to be many substantial changes based on the reporting. Mainly they're bumping up the salary mechanisms that weren't tied to the cap increase such as rookie scale, vet mimimum and FA cap exceptions. There's some contracts minutia that helps superstars that CP3 and LeBron pushed for (players weren't allowed to sign 5 year deals if they turned 36 during the deal, that's going to be bumped up to 38). And I think they're tweaking RFA and contract extension rules.

Nic Batum and Mike Conley are going to make $273 million. Timofey Mozgov and Solomon Hill, who combined for 10 points a game last season, are going to make $112 million. NBA is like the gold standard for players.

Nic Batum and Mike Conley are going to make $273 million. Timofey Mozgov and Solomon Hill, who combined for 10 points a game last season, are going to make $112 million. NBA is like the gold standard for players.

So if the Salary cap is $107 million, and that equals to 50% of the revenue, approx $214 million in revenue to be split. Going from 57% of the revenue down to 50% of revenue means a $17 million a year difference to each owner. Lets assume NBA teams trade at a 3 cap (take net income divided by 3%) then each owner immediately reaped $566 million in value to their franchise, or about $17 billion in value the owners created by getting that split.

The players are better off than football players and dart players, but that doesn't mean they didn't get fleeced.

Last edited:
I don't think that's how NBA franchises are actually valued though.

Most everything is valued at a cap rate. NBA franchises have a low one because of the prestige/scarcity. Everything's valued the same way, but cap rate is used in the real estate realm (where I live). In stocks its called multiples. You can invert a 5% cap rate and say its selling at 20x earnings. Same shit.

the Clippers are worth as much as the Red Sox based on that CBA. Before it they were worth like $500 mil. That's absurd.

Last edited:
I understand cap rate but always figured sports franchises were such different beasts that it wasn't beholden to traditional firm thinking. Nothing to back that up.

The cost of capital for a sports franchise is surely more than 3 percent.

Back