• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NBA Off-season thread: Duncan and Garnett retire

Not sure why Barnes was the last selection. That team is stocked with wings.

Coach K is looking for deflections, overplays and turning D into O. Barnes seems NOT to fit this.

K got his man now that Kyrie joined team USA. Gotta have a dukie, no matter what.

Best possible team (criteria include ability to shoot, going small with stretch 4's and having a relation to Duke or love affair with K...):

Curry/Westbrook
Harden/Klay
Kawhi/Durant - a toss up
Lebron/Draymond
Cousins/Anthony Davis

11th man - Paul George (obvious reasons)
12th man - either Kyrie or Blake Grifin (who was supposed to be on 2012 Dream Team).

CP3 opted out early because he knows K has the PG ranked like this:
Curry/Westbrook/Kyrie then CP3, Lillard and John Wall (who was terrific in 2015-2016).

Rio roster will win Gold because Marc Gasol is out.

But it ain't no Dream Team.

CP3 has 2 golds and is in his 30s, he needs the rest. Lots of dudes with one or two golds already said no. Also, the Rio olympics is shaping up to be shit show between Zika and a complete lack of preparedness.

Looks like they'll play almost exclusively small ball with one traditional big on the court, or zero if the play Draymond at 5 sometimes. Melo/PG/Durant/Barnes can all play small ball 4. Barnes is a weird selection because he kind of sucks and it doesn't seem like he should even be on the team, but I think they were just running out of dudes to ask.

NBA Off-season thread: Teague, draft, trades, ainge goes full hinkie

That team needs a workhorse like Tristan Thompson.

Ugh. Brain fart. Damn ferners stealing American rebounds.

Last edited:
Is Ron Wellman in charge of USA BBall? Harrison Barnes on the Olympic Team? Really? Did anyone watch the NBA Finals?

Or did anyone realize that he is only a part-time starter?

It had to be Wellman.

You don't gamble $30 million that you'll still be healthy in 4 years

I would absolutely agree at 30 or if the contracts were for seven years like they used to be. But with contracts being four years and being started younger, I don't. For every Derrick Rose, there are ta dozen or more guys who don't get hurt.

On the other side, if I am a 5th-10th man, I'd absolutely sign for the fifth year. The team may not want me that much five years from now. If they do, it's likely not to be for as much money.

Regardless of the choice, it's totally misleading and disingenuous to say Player X is "leaving $30M on the table". He's not. If he wants to play that year, he will make a bunch of money. He might lose a small amount, but not the $30M.

That's true, but its also quite likely Demar Derozan isn't earning $34 mil a year when he's 30, so he's probably making an extra $10 -20 mil by staying

That's true, but its also quite likely Demar Derozan isn't earning $34 mil a year when he's 30, so he's probably making an extra $10 -20 mil by staying

I was talking in general rather than a specific. If Derozan can scam someone into making him a max player, he should RUN to sign that contract.

And you are right, the spread is theoretically in the $10-20M range. If it's a player like Durant, he would lose close to $25M by moving from OKC to CA. However, he'd only lose $5-10M by moving to TX/FL due to income tax savings.

Carmelo Anthony will likely have 3 Olympic gold medals.

Who else can/could say that (for USA men's basketball)?

Last edited:
How many men have played on three Olympic basketball teams?

This is Carmelo's 4th team. He was on the Bronze squad in 2004. LeBron was the only other one on that team that played in 2008 and 2012 as well so he's been on 3. I believe those are the only guys with 3 or more.

strange to think he doesnt care enough about winning to join the bulls but cares about the olympics

strange to think he doesnt care enough about winning to join the bulls but cares about the olympics

I don't like Melo. He's a ball hog who doesn't care about winning.

However, his net worth is about $90M. For him to have played for the Bulls, he would have had to give up about $40M in salary over the term on the contact. Let's say he gets to keep half- $20M.

How many here would give up 20% of their net worth in the last contract of their high earnings period?

Say what you want about Melo, but dude always plays his best ball in the Olympics.

Back