• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chill will be the next WFU BB head coach

912accb5_picard-facepalm.png

/thread

That is legitimately the first time I have ever seen someone suggest that Skip's passing at all contributed to WF football's demise.

Holy shit.

Haven't we seen a quote from Grobe himself or someone in the program saying as much?

Something about Skip's dying young causing him to reprioritize his life?

What the fuck is this paragraph? Skip dying is why we fired Dino and hired Buzz? Skip dying is why Grobe opted for golfing over recruiting? What?

Rafi Wellman, you have truly outdone yourself here. Bravo.

Perhaps we could discuss it without the drama and baseless accusations?

Yes, I think seeing your friend and fellow coach die of a massive heart attack at work, in his office, while his assistants desperately try to perform CPR could shake a person quite a bit and cause one to lose some passion for coaching. Skip's sudden death shook the entire athletic department. Pat Kelsey had such difficulty dealing with it that he quit coaching for a few years.

Grobe should have stepped down then.

Same with other folks in the AD if they weren't going to do their jobs well.

Grobe should have stepped down then.

Same with other folks in the AD if they weren't going to do their jobs well.

Maybe so, though I don't think that's typically how things work. If something happened and you were less effective at your job, would you step down? Maybe you would, but I think it's pretty common for one to think they aren't that affected or they can turn things around.

Which is why we blame Wellman for letting his staff be ineffective and apparently shamelessly use Skip's death as a reason.

By the way, when one of my colleagues passed away, I got better at my job.

Which is why we blame Wellman for letting his staff be ineffective and apparently shamelessly use Skip's death as a reason.

By the way, when one of my colleagues passed away, I got better at my job.

Sorry to hear that and glad you were able to do so.

Yes, Wellman could have let Grobe go sooner, but given Grobe's prior success I think a longer leash was a reasonable approach.

Maybe so, though I don't think that's typically how things work. If something happened and you were less effective at your job, would you step down? Maybe you would, but I think it's pretty common for one to think they aren't that affected or they can turn things around.

Sure has made one hell of a recovery by 2016 now hasn't he? Not buying it. It was laziness. Piss-poor recruiting combined with a total refusal to fire an absolutely horrendous OC.

Blaming deceased people for your failures or ineffectiveness is a short-sighted strategy.

It would take 10 good hires in the niche sports to make up for how disasterous the Bz hire was. Championing the soccer and tennis programs right now is like bragging about getting an A in a 1 credit gym class as if it offsets the F you got in a 5 credit accounting class. Your GPA is still 0.57.

Sure has made one hell of a recovery by 2016 now hasn't he? Not buying it. It was laziness. Piss-poor recruiting combined with a total refusal to fire an absolutely horrendous OC.

Blaming deceased people for your failures or ineffectiveness is a short-sighted strategy.

Jim Grobe never blamed Skip Prosser. C'mon.

I believe your argument, stated more effectively, would be that Grobe got a large/long contract and then became lazy. I think that's reasonable argument too. Being a college or pro football coach is a job in which a small decrease in effort or effectiveness can have big results. From watching Grobe on the sidelines and when giving talks or interacting with the media, he appeared to me to have less fire after Skip passed. Perhaps I read too much into it, but it seemed like a reasonable sequence of events to me.

Yeah, I'm sure Skip's death affected everyone, and that's understandable. It's the way life works. There are more important things than basketball and football.

But that doesn't explain or excuse the Buzz hire. I don't know if the Buzz hire was the cause or a symptom. But WFU basketball effectively died that day. The only way I can think of to shock it back to life would be to replace Wellman and hire a big name, proven head coach. Wake actually made a decent effort to hire Shaka Smart, but he had his sights (understandably) set on a bigger platform.

For Wake to become that sort of platform, the powers that be would have to make some bold and expensive moves. Otherwise, our ceiling will be a Sweet 16 every once in a while. The phrase historically competitive tells you a whole lot about the goals of the current AD.

Jim Grobe never blamed Skip Prosser. C'mon.

I believe your argument, stated more effectively, would be that Grobe got a large/long contract and then became lazy. I think that's reasonable argument too. Being a college or pro football coach is a job in which a small decrease in effort or effectiveness can have big results. From watching Grobe on the sidelines and when giving talks or interacting with the media, he appeared to me to have less fire after Skip passed. Perhaps I read too much into it, but it seemed like a reasonable sequence of events to me.

I don't need you to state my argument more effectively. Thanks, pompous asshole.

It would take 10 good hires in the niche sports to make up for how disasterous the Bz hire was. Championing the soccer and tennis programs right now is like bragging about getting an A in a 1 credit gym class as if it offsets the F you got in a 5 credit accounting class. Your GPA is still 0.57.

Bz sucked. Hard.

I think for some it would take a lot more than 10 good hires in the other sports. I really enjoy following the soccer and tennis teams, but I know for most all they really care about are football and basketball.

The worst part of the Bz debacle is that it exposed how little the administration cares about athletics. The AD hired his buddy who basically admitted it was a ploy to stay close to his daughter and the AD hasn't been forced to retire yet.

If Daryl Morey can hire Buzz then its kinda hard to blame Wellman. Maybe we just randomly recruited donks.

The worst part of the Bz debacle is that it exposed how little the administration cares about athletics. The AD hired his buddy who basically admitted it was a ploy to stay close to his daughter and the AD hasn't been forced to retire yet.

Bingo. The rhetoric coming from Wellman excusing our lack of competitiveness changed my entire perception of Wake's long-term goals in athletics. Basically, that there aren't any.

what I don't understand is why, if the AD decided they needed someone on-staff posting on the boards, they decided on someone whose favorite sport is tennis

weird choice IMO

If Daryl Morey can hire Buzz then its kinda hard to blame Wellman. Maybe we just randomly recruited donks.

Is there any evidence to suggest that Daryl Morey is any less of an assclown than Wellman? Daryl Morey also hired Dwight Howard when anyone with a set of eyes knows he is a cancer, and then shockingly the team imploded.

Is there any evidence to suggest that Daryl Morey is any less of an assclown than Wellman? Daryl Morey also hired Dwight Howard when anyone with a set of eyes knows he is a cancer, and then shockingly the team imploded.

Made the Western finals and then imploded. Fairly important distinction. If Wellman had hired Jim Harrick and Wake had made the Final 4 (hell, the final 8) before the team blew up, I don't think many of us would have had a problem with him.

Back