• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2016 rio olympic thread

El Salvador going during the "E" countries would make one think that The United States of America would go during the "T" countries. No?

554 Americans coming to take precious metals out of Brazil. USA USA USA

I love the Olympics, but I don't give a rip about the basketball team.

I love the Olympics, but I don't give a rip about the basketball team.

I don't either, it was much more interesting to me when we sent our college players. Plus, it's not in my DNA to pull for any team coached by K.

get over yourselves. jesus christ.

I'm over myself. Enjoy watching basketball. Doesn't mean I have to. Sorry, don't give a shit about Kyrie Irving. Didn't care about him at Duke, don't care about him now.

Every 4 years the opening ceremony of the Olympics makes me realize how many damn countries there are on this planet of ours.

It shows the ridiculousness of racial stereotypes about athletics. There are elite athletes from all over the world from all ethnic and racial backgrounds.

what a piece of shit opening ceremonies.

It shows the ridiculousness of racial stereotypes about athletics. There are elite athletes from all over the world from all ethnic and racial backgrounds.

Personally I've never felt that way. I've always felt that it's more about opportunity for athletes. I think it's highly possible that there's somebody out there that if that had been afforded the opportunity to grow up playing basketball they'd be better than Lebron James or if somebody had put a golf club in there hands at at 5, they'd have been better than Tiger Woods, etc. It has a lot more to do with opportunity and circumstance than race or ethnic background. Heck, if a hurricane hadn't washed away a swimming pool in the Virgin Islands the world may never have known how good Tim Duncan could be at basketball. There's probably a kid running around right now with some tribe in Middle East that if somebody would hand them a baseball and teach them how to throw it could grow up throwing 95+ making a mint in the major leagues, but will never know what baseball is.

Heck, if a hurricane hadn't washed away a swimming pool in the Virgin Islands the world may never have known how good Tim Duncan could be at basketball.

And we heard that story yet again tonight when the Virgin Islands were announced during the parade of nations.

So this thing is clocking in at 5 hours.

Personally I've never felt that way. I've always felt that it's more about opportunity for athletes. I think it's highly possible that there's somebody out there that if that had been afforded the opportunity to grow up playing basketball they'd be better than Lebron James or if somebody had put a golf club in there hands at at 5, they'd have been better than Tiger Woods, etc. It has a lot more to do with opportunity and circumstance than race or ethnic background. Heck, if a hurricane hadn't washed away a swimming pool in the Virgin Islands the world may never have known how good Tim Duncan could be at basketball. There's probably a kid running around right now with some tribe in Middle East that if somebody would hand them a baseball and teach them how to throw it could grow up throwing 95+ making a mint in the major leagues, but will never know what baseball is.

Well said. Very well said.

Nope, it's all about Kyrie Irving and USA!!

The olympics really stretches the idea of an athlete too. The Chinese table tennis team could be the furthest thing from the definition of what an athlete looks like. You know your "sport" is good when you can convert your crucial equipment into a better more exciting drinking game.

The olympics really stretches the idea of an athlete too. The Chinese table tennis team could be the furthest thing from the definition of what an athlete looks like. You know your "sport" is good when you can convert your crucial equipment into a better more exciting drinking game.

Water polo is the ultimate drinking game if you just stop swimming.

US wins the first gold medal of the 2016 Olympic games: women's 10m air rifle. Congrats to Virginia Thrasher, who at only 19 beat two veteran Chinese former gold medal winners.

Back