• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2016 rio olympic thread

Paralympics opening ceremony on NBC Sports now.

Paralympics opening ceremony on NBC Sports now.

Dang, abunch of the athletes must've gotten hurt in training, so many in wheelchairs......oh wait.

Seriously, cool stuff, you tell how much it means to those athletes to be there.

The US team has 35 veterans or active military. Damn.

The South Korean flag bearer is a 51 year old dude who lost both hands in a work accident and was back cycling a few months later. Some serious badasses here.

They're talking about a dude who won a gold medal in London one year to the day after losing being blinded by an IED.

Last edited:
Paralympics "Thank you, Mom" commercials >>>> Olympics "Thank you, Mom" commercials

Blind long jumper. Whoa.

There's a Belgian athlete who plans to commit suicide/euthanasia after the games. Unbelievable story.

and then there is lochte...

looks like 10 mos and 2017 world's suspension.

The Paralympic opening ceremonies were very interesting.

One of the feature performances was an American Dancing with the Stars runner up with two prosthetic legs wearing a dress made with a 3D printer dancing with a Kuka arm robot to represent the merging of humans with technology.

The Paralympic flag was carried into the stadium by 8 Brazilian children who participate in a program that helps paraplegic kids play soccer with the aid of special boots. They wore each shoes connected the shoes of a man which allowed them to "walk" through the stadium.

The torch was lit by a swimmer in a wheelchair. The cauldron was at the top of a flight of stairs. He paused and the stairs opened up to become a ramp.

Very well done. Very inspiring. Beautiful. I recommend watching it.

The Paralympic opening ceremonies were very interesting.

One of the feature performances was an American Dancing with the Stars runner up with two prosthetic legs wearing a dress made with a 3D printer dancing with a Kuka arm robot to represent the merging of humans with technology.

The Paralympic flag was carried into the stadium by 8 Brazilian children who participate in a program that helps paraplegic kids play soccer with the aid of special boots. They wore each shoes connected the shoes of a man which allowed them to "walk" through the stadium.

The torch was lit by a swimmer in a wheelchair. The cauldron was at the top of a flight of stairs. He paused and the stairs opened up to become a ramp.

Very well done. Very inspiring. Beautiful. I recommend watching it.

That sounds fantastic. Thanks for the info.

Both commentators seemed very knowledge about Paralympic sports and the athletes as well. It was very insightful.

So many of the adaptations make a ton of sense. For example, weightlifting is just bench press. Everybody with arms competes together. No clue why the bench isn't in the Olympics.

One point they made was that the Paralympics used to be more for former athletes who had sustained some injury. Now children with various disabilities are growing up training to be paralympians and are actively learning from role models in the sport.

There's afternoon, evening, and late night coverage on NBC Sports. I'll be checking it out.

Both commentators seemed very knowledge about Paralympic sports and the athletes as well. It was very insightful.

So many of the adaptations make a ton of sense. For example, weightlifting is just bench press. Everybody with arms competes together. No clue why the bench isn't in the Olympics.

One point they made was that the Paralympics used to be more for former athletes who had sustained some injury. Now children with various disabilities are growing up training to be paralympians and are actively learning from role models in the sport.

There's afternoon, evening, and late night coverage on NBC Sports. I'll be checking it out.

Well I think the traditional Olympic lifts show better overall total strength and athleticism than the bench press does. You have to have great strength, great technique and great athleticism to put up the weights those guys do in the snatch and clean & jerk. The bench just doesn't involve all that those lifts do. Don't get me wrong, the world class bench pressers are incredible dudes, but laying on a bench and pressing a weight straight up from your chest, just doesn't showcase the full body strength and technique that it takes to lift a very heavy weight from the ground to overhead and control it. You don't see the bench press in the strong man competitions either. Of course, when you dealing with Para-Olympic athletes it's a different story.

Watching some Paralympics now for the first time. Iranian dude just bench pressed 310 kg (683 lbs) :eek:

Saw that too. Been watching tonight's events. Fascinating how they do the swimming relays to even out the disabilities. The training it takes between the visually impaired runners and their guides is incredible. They're sprinting strides to stride.

Saw that too. Been watching tonight's events. Fascinating how they do the swimming relays to even out the disabilities. The training it takes between the visually impaired runners and their guides is incredible. They're sprinting strides to stride.

Yes to all of that. Never having watched before I am so intrigued by all of it.

Yeah, I imagine they have some nasty falls along the way to getting to that level of synchronization.

Back