• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Head Track and Field/XC Coach Resigns

ziggy95

Reaction score
John Millar resigns after 6 seasons at the helm of the Men's and Women's Track and Field/XC programs.

Interesting timing. The XC athletes report to school in less than a month.

Any chance Zeb Sion gets the position given his success with the throws athletes?

Any chance Zeb Sion gets the position given his success with the throws athletes?

It will be interesting to see what happens. I believe Coach Sion was named the athletic department assistant coach of the year in 2014 so he's been recognized as an up-and-comer by the university. Millar just didn't make it happen at Wake for whatever reason.

Do we really need a "Director of Track and Field"??? Ziggy, you know way more than I do about this kind of thing, but I've always been in favor of splitting the program again. Many of the successful programs are split.

Do we really need a "Director of Track and Field"??? Ziggy, you know way more than I do about this kind of thing, but I've always been in favor of splitting the program again. Many of the successful programs are split.

wakephan, If a head coach is a good administrator/leader then they can run a combined program. Part of the issue with our program is how much direct coaching the head coach needs to do versus the event coaches. While allowing the new head coach to following his/her vision of the future of the program, hopefully Dwight Lewis and Ron Wellman will be pretty hands-on with helping the head coach find the proper balance between the administrative and direct coaching roles.

If we get a real leader to head the program, I think we can make some gains on both the men's and women's sides (especially the women's with 18.6 scholarships)

It will be interesting to see what happens. I believe Coach Sion was named the athletic department assistant coach of the year in 2014 so he's been recognized as an up-and-comer by the university. Millar just didn't make it happen at Wake for whatever reason.

All the world class runners are slowly realizing they can run around without any particular purpose or reason and get millions of hipster fans chanting their name by playing soccer.

Never was impressed with Millar. Turned off a couple of kids I know wanted to come to Wake and walk on and he told them not to bother. What did he have to lose? They went on and did very well at Davidson. Their times would have been competitive at Wake. Guy just seemed like a jerk.

wakephan, If a head coach is a good administrator/leader then they can run a combined program. Part of the issue with our program is how much direct coaching the head coach needs to do versus the event coaches. While allowing the new head coach to following his/her vision of the future of the program, hopefully Dwight Lewis and Ron Wellman will be pretty hands-on with helping the head coach find the proper balance between the administrative and direct coaching roles.

If we get a real leader to head the program, I think we can make some gains on both the men's and women's sides (especially the women's with 18.6 scholarships)

Sure; I guess I've always just preferred split programs. And I wasn't around when Wake was split (but split by people that communicated properly).

I guess my really argument would be that if we we were hiring a "director of T&F", we should invest in a distance-minded person (which I guess Annie was supposed to be). The good money is in the distance program...

Also, Mike Piscetelli has been at wake for more than a decade, and he definitely has the best interests of T&F at heart.

Sure; I guess I've always just preferred split programs. And I wasn't around when Wake was split (but split by people that communicated properly).

I guess my really argument would be that if we we were hiring a "director of T&F", we should invest in a distance-minded person (which I guess Annie was supposed to be). The good money is in the distance program...

If we hire a passionate, competent leader then we can make great strides (pun intended). Wake needs to concentrate on a few event groups and try to be good at those areas(with the staffing structure to match those concentrations). Miami, another small private school, won the ACC Women's Indoor Track Meet this year. Syracuse, another private school, won the men's title and concentrated in the mile and up (distance) plus the hurdles (and also won the NCAA XC title in the fall).

I've had enough of the LOWF crowd. Wake can get it done.

Absolutely.
Whatever happens, I hope Sion stays. He's done a great job with the throwing events...........men and women.

I don't think there is any way he'll be offered the Director position, nor would he probably want it. Agreed with y'all, though, I hope we keep him.

Never was impressed with Millar. Turned off a couple of kids I know wanted to come to Wake and walk on and he told them not to bother. What did he have to lose? They went on and did very well at Davidson. Their times would have been competitive at Wake. Guy just seemed like a jerk.

I heard the exact same thing. He gave them a list of times that probably would warrant a Div 1 scholarship, and said if you can't do this, then don't bother walking on. I thought that was strange with limited scholarships for men's XC.

I heard the exact same thing. He gave them a list of times that probably would warrant a Div 1 scholarship, and said if you can't do this, then don't bother walking on. I thought that was strange with limited scholarships for men's XC.

Maybe he was just saying don't bother spending 50K a year here if you want to compete in college athletics.

Email from RW:

As you undoubtedly know, Head Coach John Millar resigned as our Director of Men and Women's Track and Field/Cross Country last week. Upon his resignation, we immediately began the process of considering and pursuing outstanding candidates for the position.

The process to find our new Director is going very well. There are a number of outstanding candidates who are very interested in becoming our new leader. We are determined to hire a Director who will lead our program to the top of the ACC in the events in which we should excel. There is every reason to believe that we will achieve our goal in finding such a Director.

A number of you have contacted us with your thoughts and suggestions about our new Director. Thank you for your continuing interest in our program. I assure you that our goals match yours in that we are determined to become a championship caliber program. There is every reason to believe we will achieve that goal with our new Director.

I look forward to announcing our new Director to you soon.

[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Go Deacs!
[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT][FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Ron Wellman[/FONT]​

[/FONT]

"There is every reason to believe" instills so much confidence. Thanks Ron.

LOL. Who contacted Ron with your thoughts and suggestions about a track and field coach?! Bwaahaaa.

Back